A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: yeah baby, yeah!

Dang... I'd like to see that thing in action

...Can you say beta tester

yes demo version, i wanna see it in action!

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Opened the zip and it was just a screenshot...you big tease you!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Originally posted by tomsamson
    so,is there interest in such an app?
    if you´re interested,how much would you pay for such an app?
    I think market is huge for things like that

If you look around how many easy to use and still powerful game creation software is there... well... erm, none.

What I would like to know, what is exactly your editor creates? Do you save Flash swf from it? Or AS? Maps? Do you still need Flash to put game together? If yes, then how much you need to know about Flash?

If you could create whole game on your editor without Flash, then you could sell it a lot.

i'm very curious how this app is gonna work.

i mean, there a billions of people out there that would kill for something like that, so i wouldn't worry about how much they'd spend on it.

though, making a lite version as freeware is a good idea, i agree.

do it to it.

just dont let newgrounds users find out about it
    but i think there should be your logo in it somewhere (even in the full ver) that way people will still give credit to real programmers

to tony: glad you think there´s a market for the creator
    right now the creator can output txt files .as files xml,bmps,jpgs,gifs pngs.
    right now you still need flash to create swfs you want to add to the library but after the current project i´ll work on a solution which allows creating (flash) games without having to touch flash at all.
    so for now,you have to know flash enough to create drawings and animations (no codÃ*ng at all)
    the editor asembles all needed files and comes together with an engine which works with all supported game types.

to phreax: yeah,didn´t i say wait for the weekend for the first version? the mail was more for informing you how to use the panels etc.

to jtnw and xMCNUGGETx: sorry,no demo of the ed for now,what will be released next is some hot stuff so you can see how games look/feel/play which are created using it.

awesome tom! looks like you gotta hit on your hands!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    *LOL* ok, I'll start reading my mail
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Hi Tom
    in the early 90's there was a game creator called click and play
    it was new to the market and generated a whole genre of game makers
    even though nobody had seen this type of application before
    it created a market and sold lots
    you could just drag and drop sprites and sound
    the problem with it was the limited control you had over
    the game creation and flow
    i think that having flash now you can devlop a great system
    and overcome many limitations
    i think you have a great idea and there will be a market
    your product will create
    best of luck

If you need any testers or bug finders im the master at pointing out flaws

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}
    c++ or vb?

Hey, I'm making something like that except it's a programming lang. but yours looks som much better. BTW, I assuming that this is what the countdown was for > PLEASE make it freeware, cause if you dont I know I'll probably end up paying whatever you charge, it just sounds so good BTW, Clickteam.com has made a game-making thing if you wanna check it out

Look's like it works the same as rpg maker. Its a very interesting conectpt and i wish kazoowe all the best

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Tom -> no need to be worried about not having the ed for 2k,once i have time to work on it again,you may have it

Thanks, but please, if you had time to work on an additional project, i would rather have you spending some time on AI (that is really needed to finish the game) than on the Editor, because, most of my maps are done now, and that an "evolved" editor won't be needed before the game is online, playable and "successfull" so that people can create their own scenario ... but thanks a lot anyway ...

Tom & jtnw
    About the editor, it could be important that there is absolutly no reference to any specific company in the "pro" version : if people buy it, they will want full credit for anything accomplished using your prog ... ( just saying that to answer the upper post of jtnw )

I also didn't understood the reference to Newgrounds : i'm not particularly aware about that site (i barely know it ) but i strongly think that the more people will be able to make cool games, the more chances we get to play fun stuff ! (though, of course, it will also increase the amount of uninteresting projects, but that's statisticly unavoidable )

to nolen:
    cool,if some millions of those billions actually buy it
    i thought about the light version and yep,there´ll definately be one (probably with time limitation,maybe partially saving and a title screen at game launch)

to jtnw:
    why that? actually the newgrounds fellas are part of my target audience:creative guys with (in many cases) good ideas for a game but (in most cases) lack of good coding abilities or patience to apply em.

to blink:
    thanks blink,i know whom i have to thank
    (blinks my coding hero,who pushed me to where i am now )

to Tyg: thanks for the the wishes and congrats
    you´re right,with flash (cmbined with some other apps),you can really code wicked apps by now

to random10122:
    thanks but nope,we don´t need beta testers right now,as we´re working on several things for which we´ll test the creator extensively.
    maybe we´ll look for beta testers before the launch to the public

to Beatcow:
    right now its all flash and some additional software,maybe i´ll do something used for it in vb,but not if not needed

to adityadennis:
    thanks,i´ll also check out that thingy you talked about in a min,
    the full version won´t be free but it will have a very fair price.
    good luck with your ed
    and you´re right this is what one of the countdowns i have in my avatar was for (i didn´t have time to change the avatar in the last few days as i tend to come home late).

to hooligan2001:
    thanks,like the concept a lot,too

to lux:
    bout 2k:yeah,what the game needs is good ai (as the rest is on a great way),i know what i´ll work on first then,once the current group thing is done
    bout creator:
    i agree,in the fullversion,there won´t be titlescreens stating the game was done using creator.also agree on what you said about the newgrounds fellas

about my refrence to ng:
    ive been using ng for many years, and i cant tell you how many things ive found stolen from flashkit, ng members (not all of them) are very diffrent from fk users. for example... theyll give a submission a 0 if one thing is wrong with it. one of my games got blamed one day, then got on the front page then next time i submitted it (no changes to the game)! i just think that some people will abuse it and make cracks for it.
    sorry if i sounded a bit hateful toward ng

Dont want to sound evil, tom, but if you really are thinking about releasing game editor for people who have little knowledge of programming then you are facing big trouble.

If someone buys your creator believing it will create great game for him and it turns out not to do everything he expected then believe me he will start to blame you, the guy who made program that doesnt do everything

Also aiming for not-so-much-programmer audience means countless security checking and debugging of your editor. Things average user is capable of are way over imagination of programmer. If they click somewhere they shouldnt and press something wrong they wont say "oh, no, I pressed wrong button", no, instead they will say "this program I bought doesnt work!"

Prepare lots and lots of pages tutorials, help files, samples and hire couple people to answer all the questions you have covered in tutorials, help files and samples, which average user usually skips just after he spots word "function" or "trigonometry"...

Dont forget: "easy to use" is not same as "everybody understands it same way you do".

What I actually meant to say, was good luck

Flash Developer on a break
    Hey tom. Looking even better.

For pricing, I would recommend a light version and the full version costing around: $149-199

Argumentation: Swift3D is $169, what is already a great cheap price. And with this thing, you can (ultimately) make full isometric games.

| "Keep Flashing!"-Jeroen
    PHP multiplayer? Check this thread: PHPgateway

are the games basic or advanced? and either way does it compile a fla for you?
    and also this might put alot of flash programmers out of work, i mean you could pay a person $3000+ for each game or pay a one time fee