A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML - worth the time and effort?

XML - worth the time and effort?

After stumbling upon many threads containing the advice of XMLs brilliance, I looked into it and have begun to teach myself the basics with extensive tutorials,articles and anything else I could find.

However, what advantages does XML have over other languages? I don't mean html as it seems to me like they have different uses. What do most people use XML for and why is it so popular? Would it be beneficial for me to learn as much as I can about it thinking from a future-business kind of view?

President and CEO of nothing.
    While this does have an XML flavor please do not move this question to that forum. I too have started pursuing XML (mostly theory) but would really appreciate any experience a more advanced user may be able to share about it's uses.

Thanks
    .aaroncrunchie
    One day my ship will come in and I'll be at the airport.

The reason why it's here is because I was looking for questions with a future aspect outlook. If someone wants to move it to XML then they can.

The Minister of No Crap

Well, that is really where this thread belongs so it has to go.

But, to answer your question, XML is merely a format to transmit data. A very simple example of this in action can be found on my site. If you look at the home page, you will notice to very right is a list of links to another site called Manning World News. The way I get that information there is by creating an XML file that my frontpage then takes and displays in any format I specify. As Manning World News is updated, so is the XML file, thus updated Scottmanning.com.

A more complex sample is a site like flog. This site takes multiple XML files and parses them on the page according to when they were updated.

So, XML is just a way to transmit the data and then it's up to whoever receives the XML file to parse it in the format they desire. The parsing part can be done with any programing language: PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, etc. Depending on the language will depend on how hard it is.

Banks use XML to transmit information of an account. Brokers use XML to transmit information about a loan. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, this article may be useful for you:
    What the Hell is XML?

That was a very quick overview. Hope it helps.

Scott