A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photorealism in flash movies [or how to maintain gradual shading in an .swf)

Photorealism in flash movies [or how to maintain gradual shading in an .swf)

Hi all,
    I'm trying to create a frame-scroller with flash-mx that shows different images of a castle progressively rotating. In other words... I have a whole bunch of images of a castle rendered in Blender3D thats rotated 360-degrees and I want to have a flash movie that rotates the castle according to the mouses position.

My problem is that the rendered images are sorta close to photorealistic with really fine shading. When I import this series of bitmaps to Flash and just try to have a simple frame-by-frame animation a lot of that shading quality is lost and the gradients become jagged and blocky (also the animation is really slow).

My question is how can I import a series of images to flash and then when i publish the .swf still maintain the semi-photorealistic quality.

- Eric

What type of file r u using? also check the color mode. (rgb)

.bmp hmm. . R u using 24 bit depth?
    Also: start messing with jpeg quality on the publish settings, it will make a higher file size but that´s all i can think of right now.

PNG is lost less and supported by Flash

Convert the images to png.

in the libary click on the properties of the images and make sure they are set to loss less. Under properties is also a check box to allow smoothing. You will wnat to try that in both states and see which you like better.

I have also found that it is important that the image not be at a non integer x or y cordinate.
    LordAnskar
    Bigger-Better-Boski

First export your images as jpgs progressive at best quality. Then import back to Flash. Dont scale once you get into flash and dont let your movie scale to fit the browser.

Im whith white rabbit on this one, i was going to propose using .jpg at BQ.
    Try it.