A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic font looks strange...

Cheap Bear Imitation eRkLaErBaEr's Avatar

dynamic font looks strange...

heya out there...

i'm doing a flash page for a friend, everything turned out to be easy but now i'm encountering a problem that i can't fix.

http://www.freakon.de/eeeek/main.html

i have 2 different dynamic text fields which get their data from a txt file, so far so good, that works fine. they use arial 12pt font.
    but they have different sizes...one is 300x345 [main page, the news box] and the other 200x600 [in the wip subpage]. don't mind the text in there, it's just for testing purposes
    i read through the boards and it seemed to me that embedding the font into the dynamic text fields coulde solve that but it didn't work for me as you can see. the dynamic text field on the home page is more narrow than the ones on the wip page and so is the text, obviously...

so is there any way to get rid of that?
    thanks in advance

matty
    Pink signature?

Banned
    You must of scaled the textfield at some point. With the Transform tool (Or under Window->Transform) check that it is 100% across, and re-set it, if it's not the case.

sorry that i didn't really get, english's not my native language..

i just put the dynamic text field on the stage and resized it by using the property panel..and yep, the transform window then shows oversize at 288.5% for width and 1988.5% for heigth so that it fits in the orange frame.

if i keep it 100% size in heigth [scaling the width doesn't affect the size i just noticed], the font looks ok. but then it only shows one single line of the text and well...that's just not what i wanted. i wanted the text to fill up the whole news box.

any suggestions?
    Pink signature?

did you select the "multiline" option? maybe you have it set as "single line" that's why your text is not filling up the entire box.

yep...multiline is set
    Pink signature?

hey guys, come on...anybody?
    *begs on his knees*
    Pink signature?

Banned
    As I said, you shouldn't scale your textfields. You set your textfield on stage and set it's size by dragging the little square on the bottom right of the textfield. Scaling (if you don't want the font to appear distorted) must be 100% across.

Maybe if you attached your .fla (zip it up), along with your font file if it's not a standard font, I could set it up for you. Or you can allways e-mail me your .fla if you don't want to post it.

But I'd try out re-creating your textfield as I described above, or maybe based on this tutorial...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ng_text_mx.htm

See note on Step 3...

Note: DO NOT use the scale tool to resize your text box!

hm...am i allowed to kiss you?!
    created a new text field and used the little square to resize it. it worked out fine!

so much thanks, monsieur

regards and respect
    matty
    Pink signature?

Banned
    No problem!
    Glad it worked!