A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Slight crashing problem

While working on my latest project I've had a slight crashing problem with KM. It always follows the same pattern.

I add a shape and decide I need to send it back a layer or two (but not to the very back). I send it back and it looks good in the staging area (or whatever you call the area where you create the movie). Then I play the movie in the stand alone player and the sent back item is still on top. Then I close the player and I immediately get a message that KM has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down.

This does not seem to happen when I send the shape to the very back and then bring it forward a few layers to put it where I want. (This is my work-around for the problem for now.)

Just in case this is unclear, here's an example:

Say I have 10 layers, with 1 at the bottom and 10 at the top. I want to put the most recently drawn shape, currently at layer 10, back to layer 7. If I use the send back feature to put it at 7 directly, the above crash problem occurs. If, on the other hand, I send it all the way back to 1 and then, in a separate step, bring it forward to 7, no crash.

I checked my system memory and it was not apparently the problem.

Is this a bug maybe? Or am I just lucky?

Super Moderator
    What version of the software are you using? Can you send me (bob@koolmoves.com) a zip of the .fun file and indicate which shape causes the problem.

I will. I've got to go out of town for a couple of days, but will email it to you when I return.

Also, I don't know the version right off, but I just downloaded and bought it last week if that helps.

I'll be more specific when I get back.

Thanks.

After repeated playing with KM yesterday, I could not reproduce the problem I was having last week either. (Bob had said in another post he could not reproduce the crashing problem I was having.) So, for now at least, it looks like that problem was a one-day thing. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right. If it happens again, I'll repost.

Super Moderator
    Please do send me a zip of the fun file if you are able to reproduce the problem. I depend on users to bring to my attention obscure bugs.

I will be issuing a new version probably Wed with a fix for a bug (press Up state button while already in up state) and import capability for .emf, .eps, and autocad .dxf. At that time it will be only about a week before I leave on vacation so I am making conservative changes to what appears to be a very stable version. Johnie, transparency of bitmaps will probably have to wait until after I return. It touches too many parts of the code.

For those that are interested, I am developing the capability to export Flash generator swt files. These files are very similar to swf files except for a few tags. This has strategic interest to us.

I expected to be further along by this time but such is software development.

What ever happened to motion paths? Just curious, Bob did you check out my animation?

Brad

Super Moderator
    I have two chairs covered with little yellow post-its reminding me of what I need to do. Motion paths are one of those post-its.

Your animation gets better and better with each version.

I'm not that familure with Shockwave Template files. Do you have a resource explaining them?

Super Moderator
    swt files are used by macromedia generator which allows parameterization of text, images, and sounds so web pages can be dynamically changed from a flash movie, a text file, a database, html, etc. You can read about generator on the macromedia web site. I know very little about it but I am gaining an appreciation of how powerful it is. An example is http://www.flashblaster.com -- swfs are generated on the fly from user input.