A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: a special mask?

a special mask?

hey, i was wondering how to do this trick, not sure if it's distinguished as a mask or guide or what..

i have a lil box right? no fill, just a thin black border. how do i make the box appear as if the border is being drawn? i have a feeling that with a mask, this would be choppy (depending on the shape of the mask) and it would only disappear after the mask revealed a certain area of it. know what i'm saying? a want a border to be drawn around my flash movie as it opens.. i just can't find any tutorials on it.

i know flash has a built in tutorial but it's for writing text i think.. anyone got a site wiht a tutorial on this specific question? much appreciated. thanks

i'm no expert on flash so this might not be the best way to do something like this, but maybe you could try a shape tween and do one line at a time. let me know if that helps...

Josh

well.. first off it's a symbol--so i will manipulate the entire border at once. second, i dont think it has anything to do with tweens. it doesn't involvement "movement" of the actual lines, just movement of a type of mask so it reveals the lines, but typically a mask will only reveal what the shape of the mask is.

i want exactly that, but i want the mask to keep showing what it has already showed. any normal mask would only show like, a circle for example, of the graphic. i want the circle to move around the border and reveal it, but not make it disappear once it passes.

Hows this?

Does this help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

perfect! I don't think i completely understand what you did with this though.. I see that's the effect I want, but I don't see exactly how you pulled it off.

I am also wondering how this was done.

Its very easy, just go into the file and have a look at the mask layer, it has a movie clip on it, open this up and you will see there are 4 layers each with a motion tween which stretches a black rectangle across each side of the box (line), one, by one. Its been done roughly but it was just to give you an idea of one way you could do it, you can also do it using actionscript.

Hope this helped.

hmmm.. I'll give that a try thank you

The world goes - hm.. TheCaramella's Avatar
    Second door on the right, next to the ice bear
    groove, I don't think I understand...
    In my second attempt there's no movie clip, it's just two rectangles on the masking layer.
    There is no motion tween there either.
    But what you say is definitely a way of doing it, in my first file I used lots of layers, and tweens.
    This can easily be done with my second attempt, just make the rectangles into ONE movie clip, if that effect is what one is after.