A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble with excrusion editor

ok, sorry about that, i must have missed you post, and i will post an image of the extrusion aswell
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok here is the extrusion

ok, lets try again
    Attached Images Attached Images

i had a crack at the gate. i tried to trace the bitmap in flash but it came out too rough. so i hand traced the lines on one side of the gate, then converted the lines to fills, then made a copy of it and flipped it so it was symetrical. it's not the same as your gate but it's similar. as i think rush said, it's better to create shapes in flash or a drawing program and then import them into swift;
    here is the image;

here is the .ai file (you can import it into swift3d;
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/swift/misc/gate.ai
    ps: wait a few minutes and nitro will have a picture perfect version i'm sure
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 06-11-2003 at 05:32 AM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

man, ya know i really hate you

i dont have flash, but i have photoshop, maybe i will invest in flash, to be honest i was looking at swift for a college cource, i have been lent a version of 3d studio max which i am going to try to get to grips with, but i think i may well stay with swift aswell.That gate looks exactly how i wanted it to, is that just a straigt image imported then given 3dness (cant think of how to put it ) anyway, thanks loads, thats realy did help

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    good grief....
    where's the black and white image like the other one - only bigger?????

its right there, the top of this page

I've got something coming...just give me a few more minutes.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

lol, man it takes u guys minuits to produce something way better than something that took me 1/2 an hour

did you all start off like me, or were u just brilliant from the start

your lucky! you got some really high powered stuff comin from rush and nitro! in the end i think it's just the right tool for the job. i think a vector based drawing tool is very handy for swift (and flash as well). i use corel draw but the program of choice around here is illustrator (although personally i think corel does a better job with vectors). having said that i think flash and swift go together like bread and butter.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Alright, here is one that is similar to the one you posted, without the "25" at the top. I'm sure you could modify it to suit your needs. I've included various links below.

Animated Gate

.T3D File

.EPS File
    mrush

*jealosy kicks in*

dude thanks, thats sweet, i mean in terms of the amazing stuff ppl do i guess a gate is pretty primative, but although that is all sweet, it for that reason it doesnt say @its my work, you havent wasted your time, and i am incredibly grateful, but a tutorial on how to use swift with photoshop would be brill if you could direct me to it, or if its simple just tell me, but man something thats so simle for you is at the moment so hard for me

While I did use to Photoshop to modify the first image you posted to create something I could use for a reference, all the drawing was done in Flash. I know you don't have it, but Swift3D just doesn't work with files produced by Photoshop. Even if you use Photoshop's "vector" tools the files produced are not true vectors and cannot be imported into Swift3D.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it's the sad truth. If you are going to college perhaps you could look into getting a student discount for Flash. Other vector drawing programs that will work, but I don't think are as versatile would be Freehand, Illustrator or CorelDRAW. Flash can do much of what they can in terms of what you would want for use with Swift3D and it will also allow you to deploy the files rendered with Swift3D to the web when you are done (among many other cool things).

Photoshop is great for making raster textures for use with Swift3D V3, though. Just something to keep in mind.
    mrush

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    My bad...didnt see the first link ..everyone was posting so fast I think I skipped ahead when getting a 'new post' email.

Ok, here is my result .. I thought I would wait on Rush in case we had duplicate results

This result was only based on your image - hence why I asked for a big image to work with - I only filled in the white spaces everywhere that were causing the problems. For a better result - I would have started with a better image or at least cleaned up yours.

thanks for everything guys, i might see how much a student discount of flash costs, infact it may be rather useful foe the futre, this is my interest at the moment, but i have tried my hand at web design (www.pxbclan.com(not yet finished)) and dont think i did too badly, and i was planning to move onto flash once i had properly learnt php. Thanks again for all the help, great forum!