A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Design to customer's setup, or design to my own skills and make the setup fit

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Design to customer's setup, or design to my own skills and make the setup fit

So, I've wondered about this for a while, but have yet to come up with a decent answer.

If I'm developing a Flash animation that needs to interact with a database, am I required to make that animation work with the server/script/database setup that the customer currently has as part of their hosting, or can I legitimately request that they use my combination, and if necessary, find hosting that matches my setup?

With all the server/script/database combos out there, seems like a pretty narrow window to hit if you are only familiar with one set up (like, I'm getting to grips with Apache/php/mySQL), but if someone doesn't like this setup or does not have it available, am I going to have to pass on the job?

Thoughts from my Boardroom colleagues are most welcome.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Re: Design to customer's setup, or design to my own skills and make the setup fit

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    With all the server/script/database combos out there, seems like a pretty narrow window to hit if you are only familiar with one set up (like, I'm getting to grips with Apache/php/mySQL), but if someone doesn't like this setup or does not have it available, am I going to have to pass on the job?
    That's a tough one. I think it depends on how much the client is looking to you for leadership. If they really don't know any better, i do my best to steer them down the path i want them to go. Fortunately, so many hosts provide php/mySQL that i usually don't have a problem.

The other extreme is when you have a client who has their own internal team and they want to use a certain platform. I have two clients, one who uses a .jsp system, the other .NET, and i draw a very thick black line between what i'm responsible for and what they are responsible for. Fortunatley with both of them, i can tell them what variables i need and how i need them, and they can tell me what they need back from the Flash movie.

The trouble starts when the client knows enough to be dangerous, but not enough to take care of it themselves, which sounds like what you are dealing with. I'd really try to push for my choice of solution, show that it's really the best way to interact with Flash, and will be the least expensive for the cient since that is what you are most comfortable with and efficient at.

If that doesn't work, there's always sub-contractors.

d.
    dlowe93

Thanks for the reply, d.

I've not really got any one client in mind, it's really just a question that I've had running around my head as to how much hassle I'm getting into if/when someone shoots down my only known db combo setup.

I agree, I guess it does come down to leadership and who has the last call hoping for a more bankable answer. From one project to the next, you never can tell what degree of interest the customer will take, and with that being such an unknown, it's not a great measure as to whether my setup will fly and or not.

(though, I did pick Apache/php/mySQL for two reasons - functionality and widespread availability).

I normally stick to a combination of php and mysql. If the client wants work completed on a different backend, I normally request that they carry it out themselves if possible and provide the sql to set up the database and pseudo code for the structure. On most occasions, the client will discover whats actually involved and come round to my way of thinking, normally by using my exisitng server space.

It is a good thing to expand your knowledge by attempting languages and scripts unknown to you but with most project timecales, its just not feasible.
    Living the dream

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    We normally make a recomendacion, which costs less, adn if they insist in there current setup we just have an additional charge.

Thanks for the responses, fellas.

Hey OD, long time - no see. Busy times over in La Coruna? I don't know about Depo getting the title, though? Two games left, very close race.