A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: should I charge for this?

should I charge for this?

Hi Fellas/Ladies,

Can I get your professional opinions on this? A publisher has hired me to provide a script of Simbryo (my animated embryology project) for translation purposes. This is for a Spanish company. She is interested in signing other language groups as well (for translations), and she has asked me if I will charge the same fee for the English script for each potential signee. I am thinking I shouldn't charge for each group. But then I feel it isn't fair to the Spanish group to be stuck with the bill when everyone down the road from them will benefit. Should I view this as the Spanish group's property, and they can decide if they want to release it or not? Should I make it "fair" and charge everyone the same amount? I'm not so interested in the money in this case as I am in fostering my relationship with the publisher. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

well, it's already made, and now someone wants to purchase it for multiple languages? Charge each person/language who wishes to use it. The english doesn't sound like it should be free to purchase either. If I were you I'd charge everyone.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

thanks for the response sk8Krog. just to clarify it is only the English script that is in question. They (and any others in the future) will be doing the translation. Thanks.

I'd give them two options. A per-use licence and an unlimited licence. That way they can either pay you per group or just an overall fee for unlimited use. I'd charge each group the same rate for it.

"life without knowledge, is death in disguise" - Talib Kweli

Originally posted by zbailey
    ?

The Minister of No Crap

pheck,

I totally think you should charge everyone else the same exact price for the script as your charged the first group. Software companies do it all the time.

Scott

pheck

if the important thing to you is the relationship, this is a great opportunity to build it - with communication - NOT necessarily a cheap price.

i would tell your client she is appreciated and you would like to make this transaction one that would not only make sense to both of you, but one that would also encourage her to return to you for future projects.

ask what would make sense to her. if you want to maintain control, have a couple of options to present to her, then be open to hear her input.

sometimes i misunderstand what a client values, and miss the boat.

there have been times when i have valued a client and appreciated their business - and because of this, decided to provide something for free or cheap. later, it seemed that this either built their expectation about what i would do for free/cheap for them later, or it lowered my credibility. it never seemed to specifically build the relationship with the valued client - unless, they were willing to communicate and specifically ask me for the product for free or cheap .

you can also agree to provide the product for cheap/free in exchange for future work. this is a creative way to maintain value in the product even though it did not receive 'full' price.

good luck!

Originally posted by nocrapchurch
    pheck,

I totally think you should charge everyone else the same exact price for the script as your charged the first group. Software companies do it all the time.

Scott
    I'm in agreement. Why should the Spaniards foot the bill for everyone else, charge them the same.
    Living the dream

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    I'm in agreement. Why should the Spaniards foot the bill for everyone else, charge them the same.
    the spaniards!

done and done (in June)