A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Sequencer anybody

Cool

i've also been checking out the sequencer thing...

i created a multi-level complete track in fruity loops, and exported each level as an individual track ie, kick, hihat etc in a wav format

that way the beats are already in time

then, i figure, cos i haven't gotten very far, each wav is allocated to a mc. when all mcs have loaded i guess the main movie plays

each track is playing when the mc loads, but the volume is set to 0, so using tell target, the user can select a track
    by pushing a button, which brings the volume of the track to
    100 - that way the tracks (should) remain in synch? not sure, going to muck around with it for a bit..

have also visted amon tobins site - very stylee
    sequencer indeed

Wink

about seperating the drum parts: some people like to use programs to construct rhythms. so that was just a crazy idea i had. i think it could possibly work, but there'd be a lot more code to it, checking the columns and all.

about the stop(); function: i figured it out heheh. i read a thread on we're-here.com boards and was linked to a guys mixer. he did a really great job with it. you can adjust pan and volume for seperate tracks, mute, solo them, even set automovement for the volume/pan sliders. his new version could load different songs. he offers the code as open source too. after digging around it for a while i figured out how he worked his sound objects. when he declared the new Sound(); function he targetted blank mcs for each sound. the blank mcs had to be on the stage too.

now what i'm working on is a volume/pan "pad". this is a large box area with a ball in it which you can drag around to adjust the volume/pan of a sound. i'm not sure how u can get it to effect all the sounds being played, but i figured out a way for it to effect the current "active" sound. which means, the newest triggered sound. i also want the user to be able to drag a trigger into a slot of sorts connected to the pad to be able to manipulate volume/pan for that sound. this would be used on sounds which have already been triggered, which the user wishes to effect without turning off and then back on. (the script i use now sets a sound active when it is triggered on). all triggers are switched on and off by the keyboard (different keys to different triggers/sounds) and they're draggable. also, ones which are switched on are highlighted blue.

can you direct me to the thread please sleepy? I had a look, but no joy. Sounds pretty damn good tho!

cheers,
    W

Wink

sure here's the link
    http://www.were-here.com/forums/show...threadid=31782

he's working on a way to record the mixer output in his next version. theMaster said that there were 3rd party programs which could hook into flash to do this as well. i'm waiting to find out what programs he is talking about.

Wink

whazzup people,

ive made a few flash mixers, and i struggled to get as far as i could, and then i finally proved that flash is just plain and simply unreliable for audio. at that point i gave up, and then a few months later, i started with the beatnik sound and things are working out very nice. im ramping up my plans to build several flash mixers. when i get my site re-launched, ill post it here.

best of luck to everyone in on this post...

Anyone who thinks things won't work using audio in Flash 5 should go have a look (and hear) there http://www.cyberfunk.co.uk

the cyberfunk guy did it all good.... and open code is there too, with a lot of answers to everything about mixers in flash

you might also consider...

this wont bring you tru sequencer nirvana, but one thing to consider is the relationship between your BPM of your sound and FPS of your flash movie.

If you want a tune at 60bpm in common time (4 beats per measure) you might want to convert your bpm to bps, then multiply by 4 - giving you one frame for every beat of every measure - if you want to be able to lay in new sound on new layers to accuracy of 16th note - multiply by 4 yet again to get your fps.

you MUST use stream sync setting (or use the null sound technique) in order for this to work.

the major drawback is that if you load this movie into another of a different frame rate, it will assume the new frame rate, and visa versa.

hope this help!

Chris
    http://www.sharpstickstudios.com

Stick In The Mud

close....but no cigar

have a look @ my current thread...
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=57679
    'cos it's almost a sequencer (i had it all planned out until i came up against the probs with get timer).

what probs did you have with get timer, maybe we should discuss it. i have considered that method myself...

Stick In The Mud
    Originally posted by gabey
    what probs did you have with get timer, maybe we should discuss it. i have considered that method myself...
    basically it's just inconsistent..... i was using a while loop to wait for a specified time (with get timer), but the problem with this is that it effectively locks up flash ('cos it's stuck in the loop until the specified time) which makes it very unrepsonsive and probably causes the timing to go out!!!!
    i'll be trying something else tonight, so i'll let you know if it works.....