A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

haha,i guessed it was me posting that,didn´t hear of someone else making such an ed yet,but yup,the thread is way old

"Ich hab keinen" means "I have none"
    "ich hab nen" is short for "ich habe einen" and means "i have one" or "i have a"
    where´s the quote from btw?
    So is ich hab nen sorta like german slang?

When we went to germany for a school trip my german teacher said that to say "where are the toilets" is pronounced:
    deine Mutter ist ein fetter Hund
    (that was before i learnt german and before i knew what it meant )
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    So is ich hab nen sorta like german slang?
    more lazy short way writing than full on slang,but yeah,kinda.
    When we went to germany for a school trip my german teacher said that to say "where are the toilets" is pronounced:
    deine Mutter ist ein fetter Hund
    (that was before i learnt german and before i knew what it meant )
    haha,with such a german teacher you can be glad you didn´t get smashed up everytime you tried to talk with a german using your learned "skills"

I think (luckily) everyone either found the toilets by themselves or forgot what they had to say first lol.
    We went to a park called fantasia land and was on a ride called river quest and me and my friend started talking about these two german kids opposite us (swearing and joking etc) and then one of the german kids said i can understand you. It was really embarresing when they started talking bout us in german then and we could barely understand a word.
    Last edited by tidenburg; 08-30-2006 at 09:44 AM.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

<more-offtopic>
    My girlfriend was staring at the sign at the stone wall somewhere at the middle of Vienna. She told me we were standing front of the the "Keine's Park". I started to laugh and said to her it was a "No parking"-sign.

She also tried to find "Einbahn" named street from the map. I somehow understanded it was meaning a "one-way-street"...
    </more-offtopic>

We went to a park called fantasia land and was on a ride called river quest and me and my friend started talking about these two german kids opposite us (swearing and joking etc) and then one of the german kids said i can understand you. It was really embarresing when they started talking bout us in german then and we could barely understand a word.
    Well naturally, if you're talking english they'd understand it, even more if you're using english swear words. Also the fact that they start learning english in gr.5 and its more intensive than you might think.

PS. Yay, the 365th post
    Last edited by Xploder; 08-30-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xploder
    Well naturally, if you're talking english they'd understand it, even more if you're using english swear words. Also the fact that they start learning english in gr.5 and its more intensive than you might think.
    yup,see,i live in germany and am mod at an english speaking forum

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    yup,see,i live in germany and am mod at an english speaking forum
    I've lived in germany for 8 years so I know quite some german.

Hope tomsamson doesn't mind me being offtopic .

nay,i don´t mind about a short chat in between in a thread which is 19 pages long and in which the original topic has been pretty much resolved. Would be great to spark some fresh light to the topic with nice full game f8 or f9 examples,the f6 solution is quite outdated now (though it was surely a milestone back then).

So that mario kart engine is open source?

the first few examples posted in the thread were open source,i haven´t seen any full game source featuring the mode7 technique become open source.

and to make it clear: i wasn´t asking for a source of a full game making use of the mode7 technique,i was interested in seeing some (exported online) current flash gen usages of the attempt for some inspiration and bringing some life back to this otherwise quite dead thread

and thus giving us another chance to talk about germany

precisely

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    and to make it clear: i wasn´t asking for a source of a full game making use of the mode7 technique,i was interested in seeing some (exported online) current flash gen usages of the attempt for some inspiration and bringing some life back to this otherwise quite dead thread
    Sorry, i wasn't clear. I was referring to the company that took a FLA and made it into a kid's game.

haha,yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    Sorry, i wasn't clear. I was referring to the company that took a FLA and made it into a kid's game.
    no probs
    Regarding the taking an open source and making a game out of it point,hm,that´s a slippery area,yeah.´
    Some years ago i used an open source for a game and got flamed for that.
    I guess it was mostly due to A) me not giving propper credit right away and B) the game still beeing close to the source file.

I was just naive and had given lots of other people code help without asking for credits,so i didn´t think it was a biggy in the open source community to just use open source oneself.

That tought me to either don´t use open source in my project or if i do:
    A)give credit where its due and where i can
    and
    B) make the game a whole lot more than the open source used in it.

After some years i got more experienced with coding so nowadays i normally at most use an open source asset of a small eye candy effect or an easing library like the one of robert penner (or derivates of it), but yeah,i understand that it can be tempting for a newby to use a full game open source if hes experienced enough to understand the code and modify it but not experienced enough to write it himself.
    For others it may also be such a thought: why be busy with the part of the game that is already available as open source if i could take that and write code to turn it into my dream game.

I don´t blame such people,as i said honestly most coders have been there at some point while learning and after all, the sense of open source isn´t to pimp oneself as generous great coder but then moan about anyone using ones free source in anything he makes.
    The main sense of open source is that all profit in a way from sharing things with each other (ideally the one sharing a source gets more known as good coder and also ideally: ones using an open source maybe one day evolve that thing a lot and then share the source of that progressed version,too).
    If someone gives propper credit where he can that´s already a good step in the right direction.
    Sure,if something is 99% the same as a full game open source that gets problematic in a way,and maybe that annoyed you.
    Dunno,just wanted to share my 2 cents on the open source thing as its one of the main intentions of the forum that people help each other
    Last edited by tomsamson; 08-30-2006 at 08:05 PM.

why cant i see de game when i click on de link??

crossconscious
    Erm... Maybe because it's not there anymore? This is a thread from 2003. Can't expect people to keep everything online for years.

ohhhhh i wudda really like to see it.. im gona try to make 1, if i kno its possible i to make most likely i wud try to make it. wish me luck
    Last edited by victorbillvyse; 10-22-2006 at 08:35 PM.

3d flash dude
    Amazing stuff!, could not get myself to read the whole thread but was wondering did anyone get to make a first-person shooter game out of this engine?