A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

That code is ingenious. I'm in awe.

right at the start you'll see some white lines/dots at the middle right of the screen. go and drive over them, it wild!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

It is WILD! This game is great. One thing though, I am having trouble downloading the fla?

One thing though, I am having trouble downloading the fla?
    me too! me too! wazzup!

cool!

Ok, I don't know why the .fla won't download (crappy free webhotel )... I've uploaded the .fla to another server. It's quite big, 1.2Mb zipped, because the image is saved in high quality (the image quality in the swf is determined in the fla).

You can grab the .fla and view the movie here: http://hem.passagen.se/strille/works...z_mapping.html

I've added collision detection (get's bumpy when you drive off the road), I've used the same method as PercyPea, that is a hitTest with a shape. I've also added fog, but that slows things down a bit, so it's turned off by default.

How about making the Up/Down buttons change the ground scale and the strip sizes, so that it looks like a flight simulator
    That would be cool. One problem is that the image is a bit too small to function as a "landscape". You could perhaps use different images depending on you position, they would be like islands (airports?) on a solid ground color.

truly i thing of beauty strille. i'll work on the trees and stuff tomorrow (footy tonight, go canetoads!). thanks to percy and yourself i think this will truly be a ground breaking flash technique! kudos to you guys!

great work strille!

In the two links I originally posted, I use the same technique with the masks, ie ones on the horizon are 1 pixel, and go down to about 8 pixels in size. Though you cant change them like you can in yours.

The turning and the sky really adds to the game, tis really cool.

I added an opponent last night in my version, they are currently only following a set path, but I just wanted to get the scaling/rotation set up correctly.

Unfortunatly its on my home pc, so i'll upload it tonight when im home from work.

Awesome work guys. Who ever said flash had boundaries?!

So who's going to be the first to produce flashQuake then?
    ...?...

this is truly ground breaking!
    glhf

Hmmm, I'm trying to recreate this in Flash 5 by myself (since I'm unable to open the FLA). I think I can remake it, the only thing I'm not sure of is the getting smaller as it gets further away bit. I'll post my progress later
    glhf

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}
    PercyPea->moderator!!! lol

Man, this code is fwicking awesome. Its so simple and quick and....man tu est le dieu du Flash mon ami.!

i had to post something on this thread
    WOW!

hey strille, how did u calculate the gradual increment of the strips?
    glhf

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}
    Im guessing it has to do with the outlines of the mask. If you put a red outline, it might put the strips....maybe. But hey, i know nothing on this subject.

I tried to calculate as I would with real 3D, but then the incriments(going from big to small) are done WAY do sudden!!
    glhf

Man this is too cool. Love to see another car on the track. I was trying to think on ways to placing obstacles on the track, but I just have no idea. So I can't wait to see how you guys put trees and stuff in!! I would love to help out to develop this game, but I am just too crap in actionscript, so I am just going to watch

Originally posted by funkydonkey2000
    Man this is too cool. Love to see another car on the track. I was trying to think on ways to placing obstacles on the track, but I just have no idea. So I can't wait to see how you guys put trees and stuff in!! I would love to help out to develop this game, but I am just too crap in actionscript, so I am just going to watch
    You should be able to use a seperate 3d engine to place trees and other objects at a depth higher than the track and then scale them using a tweeked z-scale value (using the birds-eye map for the x-z placements and hit testing). Someone showed this kind of engine a while back, but I can't remember who ...

May have a play with this engine at the weekend but allready have too many half started projects

Will watch with interest what you guys produce.
    ...?...

ok trees. the map system can be used for anything (i think?). right now it's very crude so i'm gonna work on it some more over the next few days.
    i used the macromedia samauri calculation for the 3d however the end result had to be scaled to fit a 5:1 aspect. i'm still not sure this is 100% accurate so any comments would be cool.
    the trees are pretty crappy so i'm sure some of you artist types could do a better job (just remember that there are 25 tree images).
    i processed the objects (trees) in the same loop that the slices are processed so i prolly won't be able to add more objects than there are slices but you prolly wouldn't want to either. currently there are sizteen trees in the scene. which i think is enough.
    anyway i'm off to try add a player and opponent.
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/z_mapping.html
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/z_mapping.zip
    have fun!
    blink
    ps: bingo! siriuss
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 06-25-2003 at 10:28 PM.

Great job guys. And you know I don't give praises easily , I usually just ***** and moan.

A couple of questions:

1.How did you even come up with this idea. It seems you wouldn't expect a flat 2D image to be able to scale and distort enough to give you a 3D road like this.

2.For those of you ( if any ) who had some classes or know from on-line resources/sites, was this the way Nintendo did their rotation ( was it called mode 7? ) on SNES??? I'm sure they tech that in game programming schools.