A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

GO TREES!!

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Hey !

I've been previously toying with the released engine from Strille, and the one in this thread gave me some ideas

http://grafikdezign.free.fr/strille/strille.htm (i called it strille so that there is no ambiguity from where the source comes from, and it happens to be a great name for a game anyway )

and i was thinking that a combinaision of the two engines that we've seen could lead to some fun 3D emulation in Flash

Would you think it would lag too much ? (best quality doesn't on my comp, but i kind of have an heavy configuration ...)

I think there is a great potential to do a "dungeon master-like" ... if some coder was interested, i would gladly join the project ...

or i will try to go on it alone ... whatever ...

The source :
    http://grafikdezign.free.fr/strille/strille.zip

Originally posted by luxregina
    Would you think it would lag too much ? (best quality doesn't on my comp, but i kind of have an heavy configuration ...)

I think there is a great potential to do a "dungeon master-like" ... if some coder was interested, i would gladly join the project ...

or i will try to go on it alone ... whatever ...
    It looks very good, lux
    Quite laggy with better quality, but even with low quality it can be made into great game. I will look into source later and see if I can understand any of it Would love to do something out of it, but I am afraid it might be too complex for me.

It looks very good, lux

Thanks ! though, as i was saying, i cannot take absolutely no credit for the engine as i didn't touched a line of the code ... i didn't even changed the map, just played with the textures and got a quite good grip on the engine ... so all praise go to Strille !

(...) and see if I can understand any of it Would love to do something out of it, but I am afraid it might be too complex for me.

Surprisingly, it is simplier than it looks ( a bit like the engine we 're talking about in that thread ) apart for the angle calcultations that can be quite complex

Note that the last line is still in comment for graphic purpose, but you could un-comment it : i guess that all the interactivity ( test on specific locations, and, why not, even AI could be made on the 2D way ...

strille: you could make that into an awesome 500cc game

blink: HA HA - GO THE BLUES!!! are you by nechance an aussie??? he he cockroaches rule

lux: very cool graphics! mabey you could have a look at strille's maze engine (it's on his site). it kinna gives you the same results but has a much higher frame rate.
    leight: yeah canetoad to the core. i do live in cockroach land (central coast) so i've been coppin' it all day. boy that joey johns is a freak!
    anyway back to the z-mapping;
    i added an opponent dude, no collision, he just goes around the track.
    it's elvis (inspired by phreax's lil dude), only this fella's got a square head.
    i suggest you load the .swf and wait a sec and you will see him fly by. then you can speed up and track behind him or whatever else you wanna do.
    i'm not confidant i've got the dude's angle to the camera just right so any help with the algorythm would be great (it's in the elvis anim mc).
    the .swf is just under 300k, no pre-loader (well there's no-one bigger than elvis!)
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/z_mapping.html
    http://www.nlc.net.au/~oceana/games/z_mapping.zip
    have fun!
    blink
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Very nice work, Blink. The engine keeps looking better and better. It reminds me so much of my F1 racing game I had for DOS!

Lux thats awesome. Are you going to make the first doom in flash???
    A young mind is more knowledgable then a mind corrupted and blinded by society.

Portfolio: My Portfolio
    FFGuardians:PHP MMORPG(Closed Beta)
    PyroWare Studios:PyroWare Studios-Flash&Web Development

ha ha blink, I thought it was another tree test until I saw that little thing on the mini map.. and I wondered what the heck was it?... until that little thing zoomed by and I laughed my ass off.

Sorry to be a bit off-topic ...

mabey you could have a look at strille's maze engine (it's on his site). it kinna gives you the same results but has a much higher frame rate.

I did : he has two engines : one is more or less tile-by-tile, and is faster i agree ... the other one ( the raycasting engine ) is more attractive, but the weight of my textures seems to slowdown the engine a lot ... I'm working on diverse graphic solutions to increase the framerate ...

By the way, your Kart is getting fancier and fancier !!!

sspskater -> Are you going to make the first doom in flash???

No, i'm afraid that the poor framerate forbid this use of the engine
    Though, i would be tempted by a remake of Dungeon Master ( or Eye of beholder, or Ultima underworld ... )
    For exploration / RPG, the framerate is less capital so the game will still be playable ...

we'll see what i can do with that new engine, though, i want to stay focused on 2K : in front of the diversity of cool new flas that pop up right now, it's easy to lose track of old projects

lux: cool, look forward to your next update.
    asclepeos: try driving just off to the side of the road and turn around so you can see the road coming toward you. the elvis dude will zoom right past you!
    krill: thanks! hopefully i can add another two dudes without killing the frame rate.
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 06-26-2003 at 09:44 AM.

great work blink

I got stuck with my opponent

haha that elvis guy is great!
    just a few comments, if you click fog elvis will pop up for a frame then disapear, and the trees appear over the fog instead of under it.
    and shouldent it run faster is the trees are bitmaps?
    any way great engine! maybe ill play around with it once i get flash installed

PercyPea: thanks. i think the map to 3d is the way to go. you can just about add anything to the scene. and furthermore thank you for a super cool z-mapping system. i'm sure it's gonna spawn a whole new style of flash game.
    jtnw: didn't even try that fog thing (thought is might be a cpu hog) i'll have a look at it. i think in the end the trees will be bitmaps, i'm at a really early testing stage right now (i still haven't got the 3d/2d aspect right, last try was 10:1). just a note here that i will really give the code a big cleanup when i've added the player so if you wanted to embark on any big project you might wanna wait a bit.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Very radical!

Amazing!

Awesome!

Inspiring!

Great!

etc..etc...

Thank you PercyPea and everyone else. This stuff is inspiring!

Unfortunately, I am moving and have no time to play.

-pXw

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

BlinkOk, great work. Those trees really reduces the "flatness" of the world. And I like that Elvis driver too

I've added some jumps, which I think works pretty well. The jump physics is a bit temporary rigth now... and the jumps are just marked on the road as darker areas, but it would not be difficult to make them real objects like your trees.

http://hem.passagen.se/strille/works...z_mapping.html

Luxregina, that very nice looking. And it's a bit cool to have a "game" named after you. I think it would be a bit to cpu intensive if you were to add z mapping to the raycasting engine, but I would not mind trying sometime. I do think I can speed up the raycasting engine a bit.

Originally posted by strille
    (...) And it's a bit cool to have a "game" named after you. (...)I do think I can speed up the raycasting engine a bit.
    Not as cool as your engine though ! i really think it has a great potential ...

For optimization, would you mind giving me an e-mail where i could discuss few points with you ? I really think that i can handle a second project aside 2K and would like to give a serious try at your engine ...

pixel punkazz
    PercyPea
    strille
    BlinkOk

This is brilliant stuff guys! I feel like I'm witnessing revolutionary moments in flash history. Can't wait to play around with the code myself. BTW, thanks for the generosity that is expanding the flash community knowledge.

nailz

Wow, this is amazing.
    I just played Blink's version on my old 266, with winMX running in the background, and it's didn't slow down (much).
    Can't wait till the finished version comes out.

Pure brillance you guys