A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: MarioKart style flash engine

:)

HOLY CRAP!!!

HOW COULD I'VE MISSED THIS THREATH!!! FINALY SOMETHING GREAT AND I DIDN'T SEE IT!!!... oh wait... caps was on

I like all this stuff here peeps!!! I haven't read all of it, but I will soon...

Could somone plz explain everything like the alogrithems and stuff (if it's not yet explained cuz then I'll find it myself when I go read it )

Good stuff... keep it coming

I've updated my version once more: Added some parallax to the sky and tried using mipmapping to reduce the aliasing hear the horizon. The mipmapping needs a bit more tweaking, because right now it doesn't add much.

http://hem.passagen.se/strille/works...z_mapping.html

heh, yeah it was certainly something on my todo list but im glad someone else has done it... we all have something to learn

strille,
    that parallex sky is fantastic!
    what's mipmapping?
    i had a problem with setting the pivot and i kinna got a solution but changing the initial position of the "stripe" mc from 400-180 to 400-250. this changed the whole perspective ratio so i'm re-aligning it now. am i just wonderin if i'm doin the right thing here or not?
    thanks
    blink
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

now I'm assuming that if we just make the image into a movieclip and make it animate, then it would work with the raytracing now, right? could make some cool stuff.
    - Lukstr

guys... this is taking flash gaming to the next level!!! wait for me guys!!! im still on the level behind you!!!

you could really make an awesome game outa all this when the engine is perfect!!!

absolutly amazing!!!

'04 edit: i really was an idiot back then ('02)
    Last edited by leight; 03-24-2004 at 05:50 AM.

So, does anybody know if this is the way Nintendo did it on their SNES ( mode 7 )

Where did the idea for this engine come from?

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Originally posted by BlinkOk
    strille,
    what's mipmapping?
    In 3D, it's a trick for texture optimization : you are using different textures size and quality for the rendered object is more or less far : a detailled texture for close objects, and a smaller, less detailled for far objects ...
    Though it could be something else, but in the same spirit, in the case of that engine ...

Originally posted by ClydeTheGlyde
    So, does anybody know if this is the way Nintendo did it on their SNES ( mode 7 )
    I would guess so ...
    (http://www.taswegian.com/TwoHeaded/mode7.html for a simple explanation of what is mode 7)

Hey all, I'm a regular on Bit-101 and Were-Here.

I made a really huge level map (3000 x 4000), and it seems Flash cannot handle a JPG that big. It literally chops off a large part of the image when I publish and try racing around. I did some testing and Flash was able to handle the image when I resized it to 81% of the original size. Likewise, I manually cut the image in half in Photoshop, then placed both halves next to each other, and Flash was able to handle it then also, but at a price - the frame rate took a fairly noticeable hit.

I was just curious if anyone knew any workarounds for getting huge images as a map without affecting the performance much.

Marshall

what's mipmapping?
    luxregina explained the idea, but I've made a small flash movie that hopefully shows why mipmapping can be a usefull thing:

http://hem.passagen.se/strille/works...ipmapping.html

i had a problem with setting the pivot and i kinna got a solution but changing the initial position of the "stripe" mc from 400-180 to 400-250. this changed the whole perspective ratio so i'm re-aligning it now. am i just wonderin if i'm doin the right thing here or not?
    I've removed a movie clip depth from PercyPea's original code, that is, the image is in a movie clip (symbol: movepic) and that movie clip is in another (symbol: strip), and that's it. You may have to add another clip in between and move that.... will look into that.

:)

Originally posted by marshdabeachy
    I made a really huge level map (3000 x 4000), and it seems Flash cannot handle a JPG that big. It literally chops off a large part of the image when I publish...
    I had the same problem about a wheek ago, I made a realy huge grassfield for my ISO game, I stored in a MC and attached that MC on stage, but when tested the game I only saw a small cut out of it...
    After some testing, I found out that it had something to do with the position of the image withing the attached MC...
    At first I had my image centered... But when I put the X position of the image at 0, Flash did load it!?...
    So it might have something to do with the image going out of the far left border!?... It's still weird though

Hey all, I'm a regular on Bit-101 and Were-Here.
    I was just curious if anyone knew any workarounds for getting huge images as a map without affecting the performance much.

Marshall
    Did you tried having it an external file, loaded like a dynamic image ???

I had that bug too, and i always found not so logical, random solutions ...

Though, i must say that Flash ain't no Director, and that working with huge images is not the proper way for it : isn't there any repetition in your map so you could go tilebased ? or having an actionscript repeteted background on which you spawn objects (trees, road borders etc ... ?)

How it works:

When i first saw this, and after i got over the initial shock , i thought it would be really complicated. But for those who are thinking they do not/will not understand, it'll all become clear if you do this: ( using strille's version with strip adjustment controls )

> set top and bottom strip heights to roughly the same, at about 20-30-ish
    > set your "z" scale to about 5 ( i noticed strille's latest one has replaced this with mipmapping, but if you can find the earlier version, it helps visualise what is going on. )

Then the algorithms etc will suddenly seem to make sense So simple this idea, am amazed i've not seen something like this before.

Paralax and mipmapping looking mighty fine so far though, keep up the great work guys, this is one of the most interesting, and original threads in a while.
    jonmack
    flash racer blog - advanced arcade racer development blog

Re: :)

Originally posted by SaphuA
    At first I had my image centered... But when I put the X position of the image at 0, Flash did load it!?...
    I just tried adjusting it to that, and now it works. Thanks for the help SaphuA.

And luxregina... I am loading in an external SWF that contains the JPG. I figured if I was going to start making this a real game, I might as well do the basic stuff first. Nobody in their right mind would include every map file in the same SWF.

And like I said earlier... just having 2 images took a big hit on the frame rate. I don't think tiling would work.
    Last edited by marshdabeachy; 06-29-2003 at 12:45 PM.

Re: Re: :)

And like I said earlier... just having 2 images took a big hit on the frame rate. I don't think tiling would work.
    My mistake : i realized too late that you might be talking about the engine of this thread ... i was thinking about a top view racing track that you were scrolling ...

I can't even keep up with this thread. The mipmapping explanation was great strive. Can someone also explain parrallax skys please? I switch it on and switch it off a few times, I notice a slight changed, but I don't quite get the difference. I need to drastically improve my actionscript skills so I can join in.

the parrallax thingee is where the top of the sky, moves faster than the sky at the horizon.

Strictly speaking though.... when you turn you wouldnt get a parrallax effect. You'd only get that if you were 'strafing' left or right..... i...

tis very nice effect though

paralax scrolling is where objects which are closer to the object move faster then the foreground objects. eg builings , trees , sky and mountian's excellent work btw guys im really impressed.

Strictly speaking though.... when you turn you wouldnt get a parrallax effect. You'd only get that if you were 'strafing' left or right
    Yes, that's true. But it looks cooler Actually, my first intention was to use the parallax effect to just make the clouds constantly move due to wind.