A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Framing and Swish

Just a reminder to some of you that don't know or forgot, a swish or flash made animation/movie does not need to stand alone on a web page.

You can integrate it with other graphics in a table to form great effects.
    I've seen other's here do it with such examples as A Television where the 'screen' element is actually a swish/flash movie (I'm building one of these also).

Remembering that a movie made in swish can be but one element of an overall design can expand your horizons and possibilities.

Regards,
    Steelsun

Heck, that would also be a good idea for a contest: Using a swish made movie as a part of an overall graphic design....

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

FYI swf's in tables will crash IE5.5 when used with the Flash 5 Player.

Originally posted by almark
    Wow!
    You mean that I am actually using the better browser then? (Netscape that is)

Is it a bug just for that version of IE, or a nearly universal IE bug?
    (I just checked the few I have up in tables in IE4.0 and they worked fine)

Regards,
    Steelsun

[Edited by Steelsun on 10-30-2000 at 07:03 PM]

There also seems to be a bug in netscape too. When using small swfs they seem to have extra (invisible) pixels underneath them also messing up tables.

2k:)2

Oh Bummer. I am just finishing a page where I wanted to stick a very small (footer sized) .swf
    in to use as a Music Preview window thing. So what I'm hearing is that if I try to do this within
    a "Table", I'm screwed???

I'm open to idea, but it looks like the only option is to have a button to click that will go to
    a NON-table(s) HTML page and keep it a Swish only page or something. If that's the case,
    then I'll assume I should have a "Return" button and put in the original URL.

Of all days to find this out...on: "Halloween". It figures

Originally posted by 2kool2
    There also seems to be a bug in netscape too. When using small swfs they seem to have extra (invisible) pixels underneath them also messing up tables.
    I've noticed misalignment before in tables like this, so what I do now is routinely make my animation about 2 pixels smaller by length and width than the table dimensions. I'll then force a background color on the table cell to hide the outline.

Steelsun

What? Am I understanding there is still hope here??? Let's say I have a table 588 pixels
    wide, and only want to stick a 300 pixel wide .swf inside. Then this would work with BOTH
    IE & NS????? Gosh, this would be great. I guess I would just have to hard code or copy
    & paste the html portion from the Swish html into the GoLive stuff (finally decided to try
    this thing I've had for a year :-)

So that explains why my browser has been crashing all day!
    Likely that anything will be done about this in the near future? There are a lot of sites out there that place .swf's within tables.

Thanks for the work around info for Netscape.
    [Edited by dbd on 10-31-2000 at 10:13 PM]

IE crashes? Not!

Originally posted by almark
    That's just not true. Below is a link to a page I'm building. I put a swf file in it, and have checked it many times in IE. If it crashes on you, it's not IE 5.5, but something else. Perhaps you need some type of update?
    http://www.cybertrendsetters.com/riverac/frametest.htm
    -Bill

Geeesh - we should all slap ourselves silly. I don't know why this did not occur to me earlier:

Think of this:

1) The sigs in this page are all flash/swish.
    2) The different messages / columns / sections / etc of this page are configured by tables. (view the source)

Therefor, if having swfs in tables crashed browsers, we couldn't read this.

It's only when certain conditions are met that the table/swf combo appears to cause crashes. If we figure out those conditions we can try and work around them.

Steelsun

Steelsun: You're a Genius Thank you. Now if we can find out what is causing the rest
    of the problem(s) that would be great

on johnies suggestion I'm trying a prog called web dwarf from http://www.virtualmechanics.com. It utilises css positioning instead of tables.

I'll post back here with critique and a url for testing.

mike 2k:)2

Originally posted by Steelsun
    Heck, that would also be a good idea for a contest: Using a swish made movie as a part of an overall graphic design....

There is no frames here, is this movie qualified for a contest?

http://www.a2mediaplayer.com/overview.html

Originally posted by 2kool2
    on johnies suggestion I'm trying a prog called web dwarf from http://www.virtualmechanics.com. It utilises css positioning instead of tables.
    mike 2k2
    2kool2,
    Or, you could get DreamWeaver 3.0, which also works with absolute positioning.
    -Bill

No crashing

Sorry guys but this is not the case in either browser. If it were then .swf\'s would be pretty useless. I use tables to show every uploaded swf on my site and it works under both browsers just fine. I also would liek to say netcrap is way behinf IE. IE is a lot less picky with variable sent in the url and other stuff. I would have to say that lots of designers have to like IE way more the netcrap!!!

Thatbillguy.

I do use dreamweaver three, and fireworks three. But the web dwarf/web spinner/web engine programs are simpler for layout than dreamweaver.

Currently I do the layout in web spinner then pass it to dreamweaver to alter any html/javascript. It\'s easier that way.

mike 2k:)2

I have SWF files in tables and haven't had a problem?

Check it out.. Cya if you can view them, or if it crashes your browser? http://www.svtperformance.com

athlon is right. I have never had any trouble with tables or frames using .swf... WHat drugs are u guys on???

Using dreamweaver or hand coding it still works fine in IE and NN...