A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hard decisions...

hard decisions...

it's about time that I just pick up my stuff, pack up, and relocate.

I swear... I hate the boring repetition of routine, and the ultra-dull life that has become office cubicle duty and company deadline obligation.

READ: I've never been this bored.

So... who's just picked up their stuff, with only enough money to make it there, and no plan?

There being some mystical "other" location other than your dreary now.

bleh

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I'm not that much of a risk taker, I can tell you that I am now wrapping up a 14 hour day at work. It would have been 8, but at the last minute I got the assignment of making sure that a 118 page book gets printed correctly to an inkjet printer.

so, now it's midnight, 6 hours after I had expected to leave, and I've got a layout for a my webpage, spent an hour putting together a .fla to help someone on the Flash MX forum, only to close it w/o saving, losing any and all progress.

should only be 15 more minutes and I can go to sleep.

j

Relocating sounds like fun.
    I think I'll do it some time in the future.

Gerbs, you gotta get out of SC. You've been talking about it for months - just do it. I bet you'd like Sydney. Boston's nice, too.

Señor member
    I'm planning to move to Sydney in the next year sometime, I'm sick of England and the weather so I want a change and I figure moving to the other side of the world would be a good way to start

Not planning on moving with no job or money though, I don't think it's a particularly wise idea.

Gerbs you must have a couple of million in your bank account these days, just buy one of those caribbean islands and set up Gerbocom industries
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

hehe, this is something I do a lot

I grew up abroad and I've never been able to spend too long in one place since, when I was 18 I bought a ticket to greece and made my way to alexandria in egypt with £200 in my pocket, from there I spent the next 6 months on an awesome adventure stumbling through the north and east of africa. After university I was so frustrated I went straight from my student house to the airport and flew to san francisco with £40 in my pocket, ended up spending 9 months there making a living selling 'prints' I made of victorian houses on the wharf.

since then I've lived in new york, sydney, granada (spain) and toronto, whenever life gets too boring I pack up and try a new scene, sometimes just for a couple of weeks, a break, sometimes giving up everything, home, stuff, job and moving wholesale. Things are a little different these days, I met a cool guy a few years ago and started a company with him and it's taking off now, responsibilities are creeping up as we grow and it's probably the weirdest thing in my life right now, trying to decide whether I really want to settle down and put all my energy into this company or not. If I do I know that my days of hopping on a plane at a whim are over.

I don't think there's anything that hard about making a move like that, I remember one of the happiest moments of my life was getting off the plane in SF, no money, no idea where I was going to stay or do, it's an amazingly free feeling, I think it's at points like that you realise you chose life over expectations, and that's a great feeling. You just gotta suck it in and do it, I know so many people that have talked about it endlessly and done nothing for the last ten years.

I also think things have a way of working out if you really put yourself out there, I guess that's not everyone's experience but maybe I've been lucky, I've had huge ups and downs but I just think luck comes with putting it out there.

Well its not exactly your case, but in some way fits, i allways had a thing for Barcelona since i was a kid, my soccer team, gaud*, dal*, etc, i could go on, anyway, about a year before i left i satarted saving and saving money from my work, it was a nice job, a designer inside a in-house adv agency, but i dont know, some people just get sick of the routines, so when i had enough money i quit, bought a plane ticket, and had some money for living for a month or so.
    I left family, girlfriend, dog, all my life friends, i allready have a year here and it´s been really nice, sometimes hard, specially when u dont have any money and u have to eat the same thing for a week, like bread w/butter and nobody to help u and or talk, luckilly i found a friend from the same city i came, so its not bad and u can see yourself making it from 0 thats a nice feeling too, dont know maybe its because its the first time im living on my own that this is so big for me.
    So now when i look back all the things i´ve changed as a person , expectations, friends, the people u meet, etc i dont regret anything actually i thank the fact that i took the decision, i´ve lived in spain whan i was small but on a small but beatyfull town, and im allready planning on moving in a year or 2, im guessing NY will be my next destination or maybe amsterdam, just thinking about it.
    I just got accepted to a masters degree and i will be staying here for another year or so, after i finish who knows. .. .

Originally posted by aversion

I don't think there's anything that hard about making a move like that, I remember one of the happiest moments of my life was getting off the plane in SF, no money, no idea where I was going to stay or do, it's an amazingly free feeling, I think it's at points like that you realise you chose life over expectations, and that's a great feeling. You just gotta suck it in and do it, I know so many people that have talked about it endlessly and done nothing for the last ten years.

How did you survive in San Francisco with not a penny when you arrived? Did you live in a cardboard box or something for a few years in order to save up enough money for one month's rent?

Originally posted by Visionray
    How did you survive in San Francisco with not a penny when you arrived? Did you live in a cardboard box or something for a few years in order to save up enough money for one month's rent?
    you get out and do something, you don't sit around in a cardboard box!

got a bus into town, went to a hostel in north beach for the night, met some people, went to a bar, met some other people, next day got crappy job in restuarant thru people I met, moved out of hostel, slept on someone's couch for a couple of weeks, ended up in apartment at haight and steiner with a girl, drew pen and ink drawings of victorian houses, got gf to copy them onto really heavy paper at her work, sold them as limited edition prints for $20 each down at the wharf, still have the originals , got job drawing for smith novelty who made key rings, mugs, etc, they paid me well

I think you really have to believe in yourself, you have to have a lot of confidence, you can't think too much about it or blink when you've got nothing in front of you. I've had bad times, I ended up in hospital after sleeping rough once - it ain't too warm on scaffolding But you have to get out and try it, other wise you end up 40 and wondering why you didn't.

well gerbs can't give you too much advice, last time i picked up and moved without visiting the place first is exactly where you're tryin to roll out of, so i guess i'm useless here...

are you tryin to find somewhere you can also get decent work/maybe more school too or are you gonna worry about that after the fact..

Re: Aversion, I respect the fact you have the guts to just up and move somewhere with no cash and no plans. It's something I've always wanted to do, but I find it hard when you're not traveling solo. I have strings attached now (my girlfriend). Not a bad thing, but I honestly don't want to drag her down with me if I end up crashing at someone's place with no cash. When I moved from New York to DC with her we had to have enough cash saved up for the first months rent plus a security deposit on an apartment. I want to move to Los Angeles next year so I'm trying to plan that out. If I were by myself I'd probably just take off right now and risk it.

Gerbick why don't you just move up to DC like you've been talking about for the past year or so? Plenty of jobs up here in your field, plus you have the bonus that I live up here too.

Going through the same problems in DC Gerbick. I've been here for years (too many) and will be picking up and moving to NYC soon.

Aversion, that's an awesome story you told there. Not many people are lucky enough to have had experiences like that growing up. Very cool.

A : On my 1st month here i did something like that, since here theres allways too many tourists i took some nice pictures of BCn some were really tourist-commercial others were more arty and made big copies, signed them and sold them, i made some € from that actually i still do it some sundays, its allways fun, the people u meet, the other sellers, negotiating with japanese/american/german people, you learn a lot from those experiences.

In this economy, I wouldn't expect to find a job right away. Personally, I wouldn't move without finding another job first.

In the meantime, you need to just learn to not give a crap about work. Go exercise after work, go explore the surroundings and just go do random stuff.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

at 18 i left home for seattle with 200 bucks and a car, built my own IDB lifestyle got in trouble took remaing cash ($800) moved to florida.. walked into a tat shop showed my drawings ..got a job drawing pics.. muilt from there.. thats what life is about living and exploring ...come to FL. gerbs.. i got stuff <cough>women<cough>females<cough> for ya

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    12 months ago I sold all my possesions, folded my small business, left my part-time job, bought a ticket to the USA chasing a girl.

Didn't have a clue what was going to happen, but to make a long story short...now I am married to that girl, have a US work visa, a job and things are so much better now than they were 12 months ago.

I say go for it.

I love living in the US, I didn't think I would be able to live here but it really is home to me now. I miss my family, friends and the ocean, but hey, it's only an 18 hour plane ride away
    synergy:theory
    it'll be finished someday.

How do u get around the visa requirements and work permits and junk? I want to move to Norway, but to get a work permit i have to have a job lined up, place to live (got that taken care of). Been dreaming of living in Bergen Norway.. I could stay there 3 months on a Tourist visa, but I can't work. so I could stay 3 months. go to sweden and back to Norway or something.

vampstko: what's a IDB lifestyle?

well i'm moving in a month or so, it will be the first time living out of this town... after college though, i would really love to go to some different places... all i need is a tent

“You ever get the feeling you need to get away from it all.
    Like the life you have just isn't enough.
    You go to college you get a job and one day you wake up and realize it's gonna be like this for the rest of your life.
    So I'm out.
    I'm gone.
    In search of something better,
    something more beautiful,
    And, ok I admit, more dangerous.” – The Beach

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy

vampstko: what's a IDB lifestyle?
    ask markp