A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hard decisions...

vamps has a PhD... pimpin' ho's degree...

Dude, Florida is the opposite of what I'm going after, weather-wise. I just need some winter and some mountains... or... off the east coast for a bit and out of the southeast especially.

...ugh. thinking of closing my 401k, and consolidating my bank accounts...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Gerbs move on up here to Vermont beautiful Mountains and the winters(if you are into that) are the best i live like 45 minutes tops from most ski resorts like Okemo, Killington, Pico....etc....I think Vermont is what you are looking for.

I loved Vermont last time I was there... but the cost of living is a bit high from what I remember.

Originally posted by gerbick
    vamps has a PhD... pimpin' ho's degree...

damn right

and you don't know what your missin.. 2 words...spring break

been there, done that.

besides, I'm just looking at what's next, not what's been done

you have never been here with me.. my friend i am a tour guide you wouldn't believe..rember what industry i am in

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    How do u get around the visa requirements and work permits and junk? I want to move to Norway, but to get a work permit i have to have a job lined up, place to live (got that taken care of). Been dreaming of living in Bergen Norway.. I could stay there 3 months on a Tourist visa, but I can't work. so I could stay 3 months. go to sweden and back to Norway or something.
    it's not something I would recommend but I've overstayed visas in three countries and no one ever noticed, they just don't look at your passport on the way out and they never seem to care when I go back, as I have been to each country.

there are also things you can find out with a little research, such as in canada you get six months automatically as a brit but there is a 'grace period' of a further 90 days after that during which you can apply to extend your visa or leave of your own accord, so in other words you get nine months (if you read the small print).

in australia you can work on a student visa and I got an extension by walking into the office in the rocks, paying a hundred bucks and they stamped my passport right there and then, no justifications necessary. Canada has a much more complicated procedure involving sending off for a receipt, paying it at a registered bank, sending it back, even before you can get papers to apply for your extension.

in a lot of places once you're in country it's ten times easier to get extensions and changes of permissions etc, no matter what they say before you go.

there are dodgier ways to go about it, I worked as a landscape gardener in new jersey one summer, just made up a social security number and paid taxes on my income. No one ever sussed that it was fake, I was waiting for storm troopers to come through the door at any minute but I guess bureaucracy wins, no one ever typed in my number and my name and saw that things didn't match up, weird.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Originally posted by aversion
    there are also things you can find out with a little research, such as in canada you get six months automatically as a brit but there is a 'grace period' of a further 90 days after that during which you can apply to extend your visa or leave of your own accord, so in other words you get nine months (if you read the small print).
    How come you never really hear of deportations to/from the USA, Canada, Britain, Australia, etc. All the time you hear about people who are being threatened with deportation to Iraq, or the Middle East, or other refugee countries.

I guess people probably just don't care as much when they here the RCMP say, "your visa has expired and your being deported." "The ship back to New York leaves at 8 am tommorow."

Gerbs, if you've never been, you may want to move to/visit Canada. Montreal is a great city, very culturally diverse, clean, low crime, and probably one of the nicest cities with a population of almost 3 million (lots of trees, water, historical stuff, and other things all over). Plus you can have the snow you wanted with plenty of skiing/snowboarding hotspots. (although I can't understand why you like snow )_

Originally posted by flipshark
    How come you never really hear of deportations to/from the USA, Canada, Britain, Australia, etc. All the time you hear about people who are being threatened with deportation to Iraq, or the Middle East, or other refugee countries.

I guess people probably just don't care as much when they here the RCMP say, "your visa has expired and your being deported." "The ship back to New York leaves at 8 am tommorow."
    because people like me arrive on tourist or work visas, the people you hear about being deported arrive as refugees or illegally, completely different scenario.

I know several people from australia/north america who have been deported from england for working illegally or overstaying. If you get caught, by imigration officials checking restuarant workers etc, then you certainly risk deportation.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Originally posted by aversion
    because people like me arrive on tourist or work visas, the people you hear about being deported arrive as refugees or illegally, completely different scenario.

I know several people from australia/north america who have been deported from england for working illegally or overstaying. If you get caught, by imigration officials checking restuarant workers etc, then you certainly risk deportation.
    Well guess I did work illegally in the US one summer. I had no work visa and just drove down to the US, but my employer didn't care and paid me in cash. Guess I never really considered the fact I might be deported.

hey Aversion, what's Australia like? What parts did you visit when you lived there? How's the economy?

Originally posted by flipshark
    Gerbs, if you've never been, you may want to move to/visit Canada. Montreal is a great city, very culturally diverse, clean, low crime, and probably one of the nicest cities with a population of almost 3 million (lots of trees, water, historical stuff, and other things all over). Plus you can have the snow you wanted with plenty of skiing/snowboarding hotspots. (although I can't understand why you like snow )_
    dude, I've been to Montreal. It's not a bad city... last hit there in July of 2k1... just... dunno about that Canadian life though.

seriously thinking about it though...

I am going to Afghanistan for a couple of weeks as aid worker. I will be working with a team in doing puppetry shows for the kids to educate them on the dangers of landmines & HIV/AIDS. A "celebrity" asked me to go with him, so I said yeah.

Dude, why don't you join us? Lovely weather there -- no snow though.

it was bobby davro wasn't it?

[/]
    Last edited by eggler; 10-14-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Originally posted by tonytryout
    I am going to Afghanistan for a couple of weeks as aid worker. I will be working with a team in doing puppetry shows for the kids to educate them on the dangers of landmines & HIV/AIDS. A "celebrity" asked me to go with him, so I said yeah.

Dude, why don't you join us? Lovely weather there -- no snow though.
    sure, what do I need?

Señor member
    sure, what do I need?
    Bring Your Own Puppet
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

sure, what do I need?
    fill out forms, take some tablets and maybe one or two injections, and some clothes. Then before you know it, you are in Afghanistan doing puppetry for kids and watch them smile with delight.

as Delboy says -- lovely-jubbly.

lol. I pass.

I think my terrible puppet voices would scare the children instead

Originally posted by asun2art
    hey Aversion, what's Australia like? What parts did you visit when you lived there? How's the economy?
    well gawd you could have just asked me....*sob*