A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug

If you encounter the unknown file error in 3DFA, you would see the shorthand DOS filename paths in the Results Screen.
    A soul is not only a tool but a way for the mind to be able to become one with its consciousness.

I noticed, when you disable: Use DDE, you can open one file from i.e. Explorer, but when you try to open a next file, you have the same trouble again and when you check, XP has reset the DDE option to enabled.

No dice. Windows says it cannot find 3DFA if Use DDE is unchecked in the action editing dialog for the open command of .MOVIE files. Alas, this is a system message that has something to do with the 3DFA code as to how files are opened, which means 3DFA apparantly requires DDE to open files. The problem with this is that DDE is an outdated technology, but apparantly its use was hard-coded into 3DFA's file association feature. Nothing we can do there - this is an issue to be considered by the developer of the program (meaning Rob).

EDIT:

What I mean abot DDE being outdated is just that - extremely outdated. Since Windows versions at or before 3.1x (the last version of Windows before it became the actual operating system, and even then Win95/98/Me still had some code left over from the DOS foundation that was the real OS in 3.1x, although that's just a bit of computer history I threw in to show you the point of how far along we have come in computing and its relevance to the fact that DDE is "oh so 1988" - it was largely gone by the time OLE, COM and related technologies came about as version 3.1x of Windows was coming).

WHOOPS, ANOTHER EDIT:

Had to fix a typo or two, and do some clarification.
    Last edited by JSDvs9172; 07-12-2003 at 11:22 AM.

"Use DDE" should be checked (Default is better)

I fixed my double click problem temporarily by changing to path from:

C:\Program Files\3D Flash Animator 4 Release 4\3DFlashAnimator.exe %1

to

"C:\PROGRA~1\3DFLAS~4\3DFLAS~1.exe" %1

* I'm using 3DFA 4 Release 4

This way, I found that they do not change back nor have the problem again yet until I restarted the computer the next day...

Strange...
    A soul is not only a tool but a way for the mind to be able to become one with its consciousness.

I also noticed that opening MOVIE files on my computer always works when opening from the folder containing the 3DFA program's executable, but fails a lot when opening from other folders. It could be a bug in 3DFA or the way DDE works, which is old hat anyway. Or Rob is not changing it for some reason, or maybe fixing this is an "x-file" of sorts that we can't open. I don't know what the hell to say here.

I also realized that when you open 3DFA, it usually changes that path back to:

C:\Program Files\3D Flash Animator 4 Release 4\3DFlashAnimator.exe %1

It doesn't work!

I think the 3DFA program checks the file type status of .MOVIE and changes it back to the default.

Bugs

Oh s###, that sucks! But that's what I've been saying. Maybe it's better to run 3DFA, uncheck the association box in options and set it manually from Folder Options in Windows. That might do it if that is what we have to do.

It seems that 3DFA also resets the program association (DDE) checkbox and its values upon startup, which only leaves one solution, get the creator to fix it.

Apparantly so. My fix didn't work here, either. I even had 3DFA closed, so that didn't do it. You may be right. Time for somebody to email support. I don't know any other way myself. Dammit guys, I'm an end-user, not a magician!
    Last edited by JSDvs9172; 07-12-2003 at 08:39 PM.

Yep

Email Sent to 3DFA Support

I have sent an email to 3DFA support with details about this problem. I am waiting for a response. I will post the response from 3DFA Support once they reply.

I had already emailed 3DFA Support on this when I first posted this topic and no response yet. Hoping it would be fixed on the newest release but maybe we'll have to wait for the next release.

They didn't fix it!

Unfortunately, they have not fixed the bug in Release 5 either. I think the problem only resides on Windows XP users though

Oh well

extensions

I'll remind Rob about this one. I frankly forgot about it and don't think I've ever reported it.
    Last edited by RobStewart; 08-21-2003 at 12:59 AM.

Hmm...

You made a good point there.