A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Input Text (Non-Latin Characters, etc...)

Input Text (Non-Latin Characters, etc...)

hi all

someone told me this:

"to be able to load from a txt file and display correct the several non latin characters (üöä etc) you need to save the text file as .txt with UTF-8
    encoding."

how can i do this so it displays the umlaute?

also does someone know how it is possible to display links in text-scrollers? i need a input txt.file to update news and need to know how i can insert links from there.
    what i noticed too is that the standard text-scroller from mx allows the user to delete and edit the text. how can i disable this?

thank you very much for your help

ps: i saved the .txt-file as utf-8 central eurpean format, but still doesnt work in the input text. what do i need to do so it can display the äöü, etc???
    Last edited by mbx; 07-08-2003 at 01:54 PM.

To add links to a dynamic .text called into flash, u may need to write that in html format...

They wont be able to edit if u change the text type to Dymamic text, instead of imput text, and if u dont want people to select the text u can uncheck the "selectable" option on the text field propertys/information

thanks. do you also know how to be able to display the äöü and such characters?

Hmmm got to research about that, cant imagine at the moment...

I was making a fla to see what was the problem with those latin characters, and i found no problem at all, i made a fla that call an external .txt file and it work just fine with those characters... ill put it in here so u can see. (they dont scroll, u may want to add that )

Hope that helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files

strange.

thanks

this is very very very strange. your txt.file allows to be encoded in ansi with non unicode characters.
    when i do that with my txt-file it says that the characters could be lost when saving in ansi and i shall press cancel if i dont want to loose em.

??? wtf ???

Hehehe, thats really strange....well u can make it work now anyway

i just used your txt-file for my guestbook, which loads the entries from php into this txt file and back into swf. and it still doesnt work.

do you have any special settings in your swf-fla-file?

Dificult to say, there are some little things that can be lost in the way, can i see ur fla and help u?

yes i attached you the source files that i was using. i dont think the loading txt into swf works locally. you need to upload the files onto a server and make chmod 777 to the txt-file (only!). - read the readme.txt.

but if you only want to have a look in the fla, you can.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I gonna check the file and tell what i think later ok? Im living work right now....(ops i lnow this guest book hehehe)...later

How to make the guestbook save down all the comments ..

hmmm, thats so strange: when i export it as flash5 the umlaute work, but when i export it as flash6 they're not being displayed!

so i wanted to create a scrollbar to your txt-field, but it doesnt work in flash5. and in flash6 those non-latin characters aren't displayed!

why?! help! thanks