A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: new idea...what do you think?

new idea...what do you think?

Hey, I wanted to get an opinion from some professionals who are involved in the Internet and new media industry. I am considering creating a website that sells downloadable sound & music files. These files would be a combination of loops & sfx files that could be used in flash,web,multimedia, & video projects. The files would all be royalty free and professionally mixed. As far as the start up and monthly cost they would be minimal because I can easily build the site and also have created alot of the sound files as well. So my biggest question for everyone is do you think there is a market for this type of site? Just so everyone knows I already have a 9-5 job with a SEM company and do web site design on the side already so this will not be my main paycheck. As far as generating traffic and getting people to the site this will not be a problem since search engine marketing is my real job. I also will rely strictly on natural search engine results so I will not need to spend alot of money on pay per click or other forms of advertising. I apppreciate your comments and opinions on this subject. Thanks!

i believe it would be good if you could provide some sort of low quality, shorter, or watermarked preview files free for download. If i am going to purchase music for my client's site i would like to bring the clips to him all together instead of sending a link to each one. just a suggestion
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

you'd be going up against a fair chunk of competition, mainly from the likes of killersound. just something to think about.

//jgo
    jgo: pleased to meet you.

Originally posted by jgo
    you'd be going up against a fair chunk of competition, mainly from the likes of killersound. just something to think about.

//jgo
    who seem vastly overpriced.

I think if you aim for lower profit, quicker turnover, you may be able to corner the market.

good luck
    Living the dream

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Not a bad idea, could be a spinner if you undercut the competition (as alreday suggested by my learned colleagues).

I was just wondering where you would source your product for resale?
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

hey thanks for the comments! please keep them coming! Hey <b>hurricaneone</b> what do you mean by <b>where you would source your product for resale?</b> Also, I checked out that killerloops site and I cannot believe they charge that kind of money for their music loops $495 that is OUTRAGEOUS. You get the whole breakdown of the loop, but that still is way to expensive. I also did not think about splitting the loops up into different instruments so that people could remix them. I think instead I will just have a complete loop and different styles or variations of that loop. I would definetly have some type of lower quality/watermarked preview sample so you know what you are getting. As far as pricing goes I was thinking along the lines of $4-$8 dollars per loop. Thanks again for all the responses!