A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2advanced V.4 Premiere

Agree with you Gerbick.

They hype was exactly that, hype, overhype, unnesecary hype.

If only they had said, "We're throwing a party to coincide with our new site launch," and not gotten wrapped up in overkill Matrix type dialogue, the initial expectations would have been different to many people I think.
    They talked the site up like they were reinventing the wheel. They have not done this, they have not improved on the previous site, which was nice, and, even though it's influence spread a little too far and wide with people, it was influential to many and made it's mark on people new to flash and web design well. It achieved the "Wow" factor which so many people strive to do, but fall short.

If their major area of improvement was the backend functionality, that's great, it's as important as the frontend and graphics, etc.
    But they didn't do anything revolutionary as far as I can see-they're using available tools and software made by Macromedia and code that they write to create something that Macromedia has already said can be done. I mean, if they used software that serves to offer these capabilities, and that software is available to anyone who uses it to do the same functions, I hardly see that as revolutionary. I think that's actually called "embracing existing technology."

So much of their style is old anyways, it's getting difficult for many these days to create a new look that hasn't been seen. Elements on that site look like what's been seen on countless of sites now.
    The whole thing could have been perceived much differently without all the weeks of hype leading up to it.

But, hats off to them, I hope they earnings on a week long Bahamas cruise.

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    ^^ shortest mg33 post ever ^^

Welcome back - havent seen you around in a long while.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

At work I've been noticing that my typing speed and grammatical accuracy has been falling off, so what better place to get it back up to par than the place where it was mastered?
    I've been working on a new site, I sound like a broken record saying that, but I've got something I'm pretty pleased with so far, so hopefully not too much longer.

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

all this at only 96% CPU usage.

shirley things have never been so good.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

that photo is absolutely rediculous.

i wonder if some of those dudes go to a bar, start talkin to some girls and the conversation goes like this:

"hey baby, do you know who i am?"

"uhhh, no? should i"

"i'm [insert designer name here]. i work at 2advanced--in fact, i'm one of the founders".

"um, okay..." [blank stare]....

"we're the best design studio in the minds of hundred of thousands of amateur designers in the world....isn't that cool?"

"yeah, um, my friends are waiting for me..."

goes back to her friends...

friend one:
    "so who were those guys?"

"i dunno, some computer guys or something..."

_______

might be time for a reality check and to get over yo self...

Well this site does a lot of things.....
    firstly it confirms that the 2a sites looks the same
    secondly it confirms that F.I. and Theory 7 are superior designers in almost every way.

I mean, it's good, but it's nothing that we havent seen before

I wonder how long it will be until everyone copies it
    He was just a normal man 'till this cheeky little hormone called testosterone kicked in
    http://www.xtcf.com

_
    Stop bashing them, we all like atleast one site of theirs. Half of their work we probly have not even seen, take a look around the site, they list some clients that are not the portfolio.

I have respect for em.

-Mike

I'm not bashing them. Back in the day they were cutting edge. Now they just seem to be a parody of themselves.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Oh, I respect them alright, they are obviously talented. However, the thing I value most in a media designer is originality
    He was just a normal man 'till this cheeky little hormone called testosterone kicked in
    http://www.xtcf.com

Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh
    Stop bashing them, we all like atleast one site of theirs.
    nobody's bashing them... in fact, it's pretty cool to see how the people are calmly discussing thus far their opinions.

And I can honestly state that I don't like any of their sites. Just my personal taste and opinion.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i'm not attacking their business model, their interface design or their practices.

i am attacking, however, whatever thought that seemed like a good idea when someone said "let's take a photo of us all looking reeeealll serious to put on the new site..."

a little smug if you ask me
    (which no one did, i can admit that)

and actually i'll even defend their choice not to design to 800 by 600--consider their audience and more importantly-their potential clients...maybe those same people who are saying they should have designed for 800 by 600 should also suggest 2a build their new site using no Flash since there are some people out there who dont have the flash 6 plug-in...

Originally posted by mg33

But they didn't do anything revolutionary as far as I can see-they're using available tools and software made by Macromedia and code that they write to create something that Macromedia has already said can be done. I mean, if they used software that serves to offer these capabilities, and that software is available to anyone who uses it to do the same functions, I hardly see that as revolutionary. I think that's actually called "embracing existing technology."

mg33
    I see you're point and agree that their isn't anything "revolutionary" persee, but what exactly did some of you guys expect? A 3D blond model actually jumping out of the screen and going to get you a beer from your own fridge? I mean, yes they're using the same tools as everyone else, so they can only do so much.

I think the site is pretty decent. I know I couldn't do any better. I like the Billy Bussy site much much better though.

I know they're arrogant, and I know that site has a lot of ego, but in this day in age you have to have that to get noticed.

visionray,

I didn't really even care, personally. It's just that an event of this magnitude (picking the site apart, not the prophetical release of the site) can't be missed, you know?

mg33

the traveler
    every time i see a 2a site i feel like i'm on some sort of intergalactic ship in outer space.. i mean, if you like the whole "accessing sublevel data... stand by" type stuff, great. i'm just soooo tired of 2a's steez right now.

but -- on the other hand, we need guys like these around to give a contrast to other types of designers that i feel offer a better balance of style vs. substance.
    aa |

Originally posted by Visionray
    I see you're point and agree that their isn't anything "revolutionary" persee, but what exactly did some of you guys expect? A 3D blond model actually jumping out of the screen and going to get you a beer from your own fridge? I mean, yes they're using the same tools as everyone else, so they can only do so much.
    Nothing that extreme. But I would like to see a new twist to their site. I dunno, maybe have a virtual 3d host that interacts with the visitor or something. I know that's already done as well, I'm merely giving an example of things that were 'unique' and 'different'. Maybe they could've made it where the website serves as some sort of space station, and you can walk around to visit the rest of the site. I dunno, ANYthing but the same exact thing with different colors. Would you say that that would be a fair assessment of what "originality" would be? Something that serves for an actual change, not just visually, but everything. The way you navigate, the way you view things, the interaction, etc. If they want to claim to be pushing these boundaries, they need something new and original, plain and simple. Yes, three years ago their site was exactly that, something flashy and damn cool and never been seen. Now it's time for them to reinvent themselves.

Originally posted by aa
    "accessing sublevel data... stand by"
    cuz tonight i'm gonna party like it's 1999...

If I might speculate on the design, 2A has basically built a brand through their particular type of motion and style, and it might be too jarring for clients if they completely changed the "feel" of the site. I'm sure there were some sound business decisions behind this.

Though yes, this did seem like quite a bit of hype for a palette swap and poor usability.

But more power to them. They're obviously getting enough clients and money to throw giant parties, like their work or not.

Seriously, think about it for a while. The only people who were really "psyched" about the redesign versus the old design were other designers. Clients probably couldn't care less - the party is really just a way to name-drop to IT execs who love that sort of scene.

What Ive seen on my G4 :

First it takes a lot of mahine power

Second the overall look is a lot bigger

Third theres no more animation ( Like Skys, water and stuff )

Fourth the design could have been a bit pushed up.

and as the last one, its still an advance way to see a website!

To finish :

For me I would have apreciate to see more actionScript playing whit the graphics ... more interactive 3D ... ( Seriously 3D is way more advanced then that in those days )

But as a overall look!
    I would say that its not the same people that have made v4 that ahve made v3.

But in the end who am I to judge other people look and feel change !!!
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Originally posted by Visionray
    A 3D blond model actually jumping out of the screen and going to get you a beer from your own fridge?
    yes please.

well i was hoping for two, now that you bring it up.