Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its official! I suck!

Its official! I suck!

Arrgh
    <kryten>
    Vent Mode!
    </kryton>

I HATE illustrator.
    I was lucky enough to have the cash spare so I went and blew it on AI10 - what a waste of cash.
    Can I do anything?
    Noooooo - can I scan in any of my girl's photo's to trace? Nooooooo
    AAARRRGGGHHH!
    Its all Grahams Fault (mxkid) I blame him 100% for having damn vector art on his page! I HATE THAT!

Sorry - its the 2am blues again - trying to come up with an idea for a new design for swirly.net but it just aint working out this time!
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

Beleive me, I probably suck at it worse than you.
    Whenever I open up illustrator I usually end up staring at the screen for 10 minutes before shutting the program down.

sounds familiar.
    Its been on here for about 2 weeks - and I've done that sooo many times!

I'm sure it's a wonderful application, but I miss Swift3D, I could do my renders and export them to AI, but seeing as the copy I used was at work (where I dont work anymore) I cant do that!
    I'm stuck with Photoshop 6, AI10, FlashMX, Fireworks MX, and DreamweaverMX - which were kindly given to me by the company when I left!
    I should prolly have got the PS7 upgrade instead - I have a Rough idea how to use that at least!
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

I LOVE illustrator.

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    I LOVE illustrator.
    You probably know how to use it!

LOL yeah, the thing is that on my first job, that and PS was all we had, (it was a inhouse agency) and they only used adobe family products so i couldnt suggest freehand or anything, tha was a pain in the *** because u cant do color separation (im not sure how to say that in english) for print jobs from illustrator, so the preprint had to copy and paste on freehand, guess all the possible misstakes there.

learn how to use it, you friggin' sissy

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    learn how to use it, you friggin' sissy
    Pah! Im of the Anti RTFM camp! I have an old Illustartor 9 Book around - a HUGE thing from an old job - they had AI9 but I never got round to using it
    Looks like I have 3000 pages of bedtime reading ahead of me

damn. 3000 pages? sounds like a long weekend to me instead mate.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    LOL yeah, the thing is that on my first job, that and PS was all we had, (it was a inhouse agency) and they only used adobe family products so i couldnt suggest freehand or anything, tha was a pain in the *** because u cant do color separation (im not sure how to say that in english) for print jobs from illustrator, so the preprint had to copy and paste on freehand, guess all the possible misstakes there.
    i thought illustrator was only used for vector art....i'm learning that it's much more complicated, specially for print jobs....i just did my first job, for a cover for a book, but i did it all in photoshop, hope the client doesn't complaint......i don't even know what's color separation
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Eat Rice!
    Gasp... illustrator used for.. illustrating!!

If you just wanted to trace your girl's picture, you could've done that in flash...

Just tracing Images...

SodiPodi Would have cost nothing then. http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/ They even have a new Windoze Version now with Windoze user friendly point and clicky installer.
    Last edited by johnie; 08-02-2003 at 12:04 AM.

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    i started using illustrator about a year ago and its frustrating because you think its going to be like photoshop. When i first started i always felt like i was a prisoner of the damn program. i tossed it to the side for months and survived on freehand and PS. I eventualy got myself into a project htat required a LARGE file size and PS just wasnt gonna render my project in time. I grabed on to illustrator and hacked my way through. The outcome was unreal tho. An *.ai file that was 50k compared to 50 megs!!! It has its place but frustrating it is!

Once you get the layers down and understand the view settings it gets easier. Im still lost when talking to the print people. The always tell me to raster this and vecotr that and i just feel stupid!
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

Originally posted by riceraver
    Gasp... illustrator used for.. illustrating!!

If you just wanted to trace your girl's picture, you could've done that in flash...
    No it wasnt JUST for that
    There are other thing I want to do aswell, I have contacts at printing houses in London and need the experience

Originally posted by argonauta
    i thought illustrator was only used for vector art....i'm learning that it's much more complicated, specially for print jobs....i just did my first job, for a cover for a book, but i did it all in photoshop, hope the client doesn't complaint......i don't even know what's color separation
    It should be, i mean thats why quark exists, just as freehand, but i had to use illustrator and only illustrator.

Color separation, (or something like that) : When u take your job to a printer they have to do negatives, one for each color (CMYK) Cyan (blue) Magenta (kind of red) Yellow, Black, so the software should be able to do that, just make sure u give your file in CMYK color and use a 300 DPI resolution (that may depend on the paper quality and such) but u never go wrong with 300 dpi, if u need more help pm me ok?

Illustrator is one of my favorite programs - essential for character animation (I still can't stand the Flash native tools).

Pick up a Visual Quickstart guide - they're generally cheap (around $20USD), have lots of screenshots, and just the right info to let you hit the ground running. Then dig into the maual if you have to (there's lots of community tutes online, if you're looking to achieve a particular effect).

Developer
    I usually start all my work in Illustrator. Web pages, Flash et cetera... me se love it.

Did you try searching google Nigs?

mullet king
    i did the whole thing 100% in flash mx

Originally posted by TheEnigma
    I'm stuck with Photoshop 6, AI10, FlashMX, Fireworks MX, and DreamweaverMX - which were kindly given to me by the company when I left!
    Sorry, just ironically funny that the programs you got for free you use, but the one you had to pay for you're having troubles with.

Hehe, don't worry though, I know what it's like - barely touched Fruityloops after I got it, didn't have the patience to figure it out, my friend just comes over and does whatever I need for me.

h
    On That Note Forums - 1200 members and counting...
    "...our focus remains on the music."