A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enter cartier.com select=>cartier selection =>watches . then look at the effect menu

I have only just found this thread and my action scripting is sub basic, I need an image scroller and I found barneys on a different site in the form of components that you drag on to the graphics and movie clips, but I am having major problems getting the whole scroller to position where I want it to go, It just sits off to the right of centre on my stage.
    The code that has been written on this thread looks a lot more basic (and short ) is there an easy way to create invisible buttons to just move the scroller left and right when you hover over either side of the image window area like this one http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...-909/index.php I tried following the instructions and I keep getting an error refering to the very last bit of code "onLoad(_root.scrollerDirection = "right"; ) (there isn't supposed to be a space between the colon and the bracket at the end of the code but the forum keeps turning it into a winking smiley, sorry) which is attached to the 'ambiguous' movie clip. It says a ")" or ( is expected ... HUH????
    if there is an error in the code could someone edit it and re post it Please.
    Thornhill you seem to know exactly what your talking about any chance I could get your advice on this.
    Last edited by ir803; 07-23-2004 at 05:49 PM.

The code seems misspelled. Should be...

// Placed on the movieclip
    onClipEvent(load){
    _root.scrollerDirection = "right";
    }

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

thanks, i pasted in your code on the movie clip, but it still doesn't work, i will check through that i haven't altered anything else and get back later.

pellepiano you hero, it turned out that after pasting in your code the only reason it didn't work was I had filled in the _root.scrollerName: incorrect, I had put in the instance name but left out the _root. part, I am not very knowledgable with AS yet but I finally workied that one out. Now it works beautifully.
    Thanks again.
    I'll post the site up for your opinions if thats ok when it's done.
    Cheers,
    Martin.

OK here is the next problem, I have been using a bytes loading preloader for some of my other flash work which does a really excellent job, but when I put it in this fla if i stream the preview it gets bytes loaded but then when the first image opens it just flickers like crazy, it seems to be returning as if to the first frame of a sequence but the scroller is only on one keyframe, is there a way of getting a pre loader to work for this image scroller, as there will be about 5 or 6 of these types of scrolling galleries on the site, they will all be in separate scenes with the main page navigation pointing to each one, but I don't want to have to preload the whole site at the start as the images will take up huge space, each one is about 20 - 30 kb and there are six in each gallery, so I really need to preload each gallery after it is selected.
    I have attached my fla (minus the preloader) for you to look at.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ir803; 07-25-2004 at 05:54 PM.

This has been a long time coming but I think I am finally almost (nearly) there. here is the link to the website on it's test server http://www.itsmy-space.co.uk/ken/index.htm it still lacks an intro page before the flash site and there are some tweaks to be done to the moving words in the galleries but I think the rest it done.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

It looks very nice and clean and a great transition.
    The scrolling is a little slow here on my computer , about 4 frames/sec, so the movement is a little jerky.

I also feel that the images could use some kind of framing, if so just a little shadow or something. But thats me, I can not live without shadows.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

can someone help please, I have changed the preloader so it uses the graphic from the first page the only problem is that the initial image is about 30 kb so the preloader stalls and you get a white space until it kicks in especially on slower connections I have tried using an actual image rather than a vector graphic and reduced the file size but the quality looks terrible so I have reverted back to the vector version, is there any way of getting the preloader to start quicker ?? here's the site again http://www.itsmy-space.co.uk/ken/index.htm