A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Ideas

Actually I havent told much about this project only because I stopped it until my friend finshes his art but I am making a Metroid game sorta 3-D.

Like you know that game on newgrounds called Terrain its gonna be like that. With more enmies and sttuff

Wannabe
    hands down, smashTV remake, -robotron controls and +cannon fodder controls.

easy to make, almost garaunteeably(real word?) addictive. thats what I would make if I had a crew, and you could probably sequel it to death, imagine a smashTV clone with zombies instead of criminals, slow and hard to kill, like a birds eye view resident evil

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    i dont really like rpg's, but thats really the only kind of real game you can make with flash.
    People like rpgs partly because they seem simple to do (not worrying about gameplay speed and what not) but usually they turn into a giant mess.

I'm a big fan of fight games, but in general, I haven't seen many really good ones for Flash. (Except for Marmotte's).

I also like Walk and Thumps (like Street of Rage) but likewise, I haven't seen many really good ones.

There are TONS of possibilities for Flash games. Though it might be better to play some old NES, Genesis, SNES games to get ideas from.

I've got a million ideas, just not enough hours in the day.

-pXw

Hmmm SmashTV. That'd be good, but I don't think it'd be that easy due to the sheer number of sprites on screen at a time.

This "RPG is the only real game you make in Flash" comment is such a glib throw away statment.
    Most genres are available to flash if you design the game to the platform and not try and make the game work on the platform.
    Playing to the plug-ins strengths gives you a lot of scope for game creation.

Squize.

Wannabe
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Squize
    [B]Hmmm SmashTV. That'd be good, but I don't think it'd be that easy due to the sheer number of sprites on screen at a time.

shouldnt be too bad, only about as hard on the users comp as the invaders clones we made.

figure it this way, 20 enemy sprites on screen at a time, 1 player sprite, and however many bullets the player fires.

the enemies would only be running the native(or should I say nieve) ai they had in the original:
    if(I_am_attacking){
    track player
    else
    go in a random direction
    }

then add in your mapping system, and blam all done.

if your really interested and have the time squiz, I'm all for it

It's not so much the baddie movement / AI. That would be fairly straight forward and the actual playfield doesen't have many objects for them to bump into.

It's the collision detection which really determines the number of sprites you can have.
    Say the player has 4 bullets, that's 4 collision checks against 20 baddies, ie 80 checks. Then you've got 20 baddies testing against the player themselves, so you're looking at a 100 collision checks. Lot of cpu power.

In saying that, it's far from impossible.

If you split the baddie-2-player checks up everyframe, ie only running half the checks each frame you'd be down to a max of 10 there. Then if you split the screen up into quarters and only tested against whatever was in that quarter you'd save a lot to.

There are lots of ways around it, most of them better than the one I've mentioned above

I'd love to do it with you ( The game that is, not the messy thing. Although... ) but I really don't have any time for "fun" projects atm which is a pain in the arse.
    If you want the collision code out of my asteroids game ( ie the quarter screen method ) or any pearls of wisdom then just say. I'd really like to play a good SmashTV clone in Flash.

Squize.

Wannabe
    well I dont want to roll in teh sheets with you either romeo :P, the offer stands if you ever find time, likewise for anyone else

interesting idea about splitting up collisions, I think I'm gonna go start it asap.

I never could have imagined self motivation/inspiration was possible

I think we should form a group, and make a metroid game, but alter it alot

banned by dp
    Flasher They where talking about Smash TV, but how about we mix Toe Jam and earl (my favorite SEGA game) and smash TV.
    The story could be about a beaver (the animal) That travel around the world (toe Jam and earl System) and enter a tournaments to save the Hamster you love.

someone tell me what smash TV is

Wannabe
    smashtv was basically robotron with better graphics, and made to look like the movie "running man", google it up.

toe jam and earl, now that game was interesting, you could always have world exploration in TJ+E form then smash tv for the actual worlds

banned by dp
    Yeah I think it could work, Oh and the smash TV thing The Flasher won't get, He doesn't know old games very well, Don't blame him, Blame his Mom for not getting them because she thinks that they'll rot his brains.

NO, I was probobly like 4 when they came out, or i wasn't into games then, or id didn't own the console that the game came out too. Which console did it come out to anyway?

banned by dp
    It was sega GEN or SNES,I think SNES,but robotron I can only remeaber in the arcade.

I had genises, Nes, and n64, and today i have an X-box

banned by dp
    ok here is a robotron site:http://www.tripoint.org/robo/robotron.html
    And If you had a GEN did you play TJ+E oh that reminds me of EarthWorm Jim one of the funnest games to come out in a long time,It's really rare to see a fummy game.
    Last edited by SmokeBombShoe; 08-15-2003 at 02:24 AM.

nope never played TJ+E. I hear it's good though, so does anybody wanna make a game?

banned by dp
    By a show of me's.I'll start
    ME!

ME!!

anybody remembers FlashBack by Delphine?? I loved that game so much! One of my all time favourite among the action/adventure games!
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server