A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML socket server basic question

The Magnificent Bastard

XML socket server basic question

Ok, im just getting into this socket business lol and I need some help. I found that ther are loots of socket servers on the net for download and basic runs on my PC, but I cant find hosted ones. My web host doesnt support em and well just wondering if anyone in here knows a place where they have em installed. Or maybe theyt ar supposed to run off of my pc, I'm really confused lol. Please help

It's very difficult to find someone to host an XMLSocket server.

Security issues, permissions, blah, blah...

If you're wanting to develop XMLSocket apps, your best bet is to either use an existing server of the clients (if they want to do that), or have the client pay for the internet connection (DSL is good enough), and the hardware (a basic PC can handle most small stuff) for a new server that only hosts the XMLSocket stuff.

If you don't know how to setup a server, you might need to pay for someone, but chances are the company you're developing for will have an IT guy that can fill in for that. Then you can put one of the free XMLSocket servers on their 'server' and you're good to go.
    Richard Lyman
    rich at lithinos.com
    www.lithinos.com

Hi,

I'm attempting to write a socket server in Java. Not very good at it so far, still learning Java and sockets etc. Since alot of places don't have them, for reasons mentioned by vaykent, i was going to try my own webserver. I recomend this site:

http://www.diywebserver.com/

Good for beginners like me Unfortunately they are doing some spring cleaning and most of the pages are still down.

Vaykent: Looked at the XML FAQ in the sticky, great link thanks. But the drserver link wouldn't work, has it been down for long? I really like he idea of the open source of it. I've seen some other open source stuff, but i'm still looking for a simple java multiclient server to learn from. Do you know where else i could find that particular one? I've searched for other links but to no avail. Thanks.

Hope you get it all working Terro.
    jonmack
    flash racer blog - advanced arcade racer development blog

Is Moocks server too complex?

My brother wrote a basic XMLSocket server in Java (I think based in part on Moocks), but it might be simpler... and he might still have the source.

If you're looking for a Java server, I'd really recommend Moocks... it's got a lot of 'backing'.
    Richard Lyman
    rich at lithinos.com
    www.lithinos.com