A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ***** Hotel Creation Tutorial

***** Hotel Creation Tutorial

I know people have asked about ***** but I can't find any Help or Tutorials for it or something similair, I have never used Flash or Shockwave before but I am sure I can start with something like this. It is for just me and my mates to hang about on with no money problems and no one else filling up the rooms. I have Flash 5 but I've heard that Shockwave is better, so I got Macromedia Director 8.5. Can anyone keep in contact with me to teach me or send me a tutorial at my e-mail or jsut reply to this, thanks!
    Fun Fun Fun in the Sun Sun Sun

if you have never used flash before, then i would suggest starting on something easier. like shoot-em up game, then keep trying harder and harder things.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=481510

Read #7

That project would be IMPOSSIBLE for a first time flash user. I don't want to sound harsh, but don't even attempt it yet. Something like that would probably take about six months to a year to learn, minimum.

Originally posted by JagPhil
    I have never used Flash or Shockwave before but I am sure I can start with something like this.
    hehe, you gotta laugh. Yea, man you got some serious learning to do if you even just want to make a multi-user chat interface in flash, nevermind the moving characters (AI - pathfinding) etc!

Just hang around here for a year, you'll soon get the hang of it.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

What are u talking about a year..
    I dont think I am dumber that the average guy, and
    i have study programming in school for 2 years and doing stuff in Flash since 4.0
    and i STILL cant do stuff like that.
    So give it more than 1 year, unless i am particulary stupid.

Hi,
    You might want to look into Electroserver. It is nicely organized and will give you an idea of how some of the guts of multi player apps work. You might also head to your local bookstore and pick up the book called "Flash MX: Creating Dynamic Applications" by Michael Grundvig and a few others. Another good one, or so I have heard, is "Game design demystified" by Jobe Makaar. I don't have that one yet. There is a demo in the first book that will teach you the beginnings of an avatar chat. It is certainly not ***** Hotel, but someplace to start. I thought ***** Hotel was done with Director, not Flash, but I haven't looked into it that much, probably wrong. I am learning more everyday about how to code and create dynamic application, but it is far from easy.I started out trying to code a multi player dart game. It has taught me alot, but it has turned out to be way more dynamic that I thought it would be. I have the idea of using this avatar chat as the 'gathering" place or main interface for my dart game, if I can figure out how. Anyway, here is the demo avatar chat, straight out of the book.

http://ntdesigns.net/webtricity/AVATAR.swf

Regards
    ~GD~
    Operator Error

I was making an entire 3d down, since I am very familiar with 3D, i could make everything i wanted to have,
    Now, we have created a mysql database that stores credits, usernames, passwords and lock-passwords for houses, the only problem now is the Multiplayer-option, i haven't worked on my project for a couple of months now, cause nobody was able to help me

I hope you have more luck then me, and if you would need some 3d work, i would be able to help you...

Hi JagPhil,

If you want to create something small for just your friends then Flash may be up to the task. Director is useful for bigger projects.

That said however, I'm afraid this is a simple concept, hard task situation.

I am myself working with a colleague on building a Flash avatar chat to rival ***** hotel (see you in 2 years!!), but i have 5 years programming expereince in Flash, php, perl, mysql etc.

I am sure though, if you want to keep this thing simple, you could find enough tutorials to string something together.

I would suggest that the server side stuff will be the hardest, so keep things simple at first, maybe just a text chat?
    Once you have the server working then you can move on.

Don't be afraid of setting your sights high, but if you want to fly to the moon, you're gonna have to do some training and research first.

Good Luck
    Chris
    Some Games
    -----------------------