A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Camera animated on a path, Max 2 Swift?

Camera animated on a path, Max 2 Swift?

Hey all..

Ok, So I have this camera that is following a path, I want to take this file and render it in Swift 3D.

We only have version swift2 here, and no plug in for max.

The only way I know to take a max file into swift is as a .3ds file, and when you do that the .3ds loses the camera animation?

Any ideas?
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Sample the path (Motion Panel | Trajectories - Collapse Transform ). Set the number of samples high enough for a smooth path. This will sample the path, generating keys that will export to .3DS.

good luck!
    The MATRIX has you
    www.2112fx.com :: there is no spoon

thanks Matrix,

Not quite working yet, but here's what I'm doing, it's a 30 frame animation..

I select the path, go to the motion tab, enter start time at 0 end time at 30 samples to 30, don't touch the spline conversion, then hit colapse with position, rotation, and scale checked.

but...

when I export, it still does not save as an animation?

If it helps in any way, here is the .max file

http://www.glamdog.com/scene01.max
    Sometimes....when it comes over me..... And I totally lose control......... I Like it.

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

By sampling the path, I meant the trajectory followed by the camera. You probably needed to select the camera. Worked fine for me. I'll e-mail you the .3DS file. I tested by importing the .3DS file back into MAX.

good luck!
    The MATRIX has you

thanks alot matrix, if you could email me the .3ds that would be great, but I definately want to figure this out..

Would you use the same method for all types of animations that you want to do? I've noticed in the past when I tried to do a basic walk cycle I couldn't get the .3ds to retain that animation either.

would this do the trick?

THANKS!!

www.visiontilt.com
    www.glamourdog.com
    www.caseyandcynthia.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

If this type of work is important to you or your company, I'd personally spring for the MAX plugin The savings in effort is worth the incremental cost.

I rarely use path animation for a camera. I've always found it more intuitive to animate the camera and target. During this type of animation, it's natural to think about the camera being in a certain position, looking at a certain target at a certain time. You can use Time Tags to easily mark and reference those keys.

Use a Bezier Float controller on the camera (and target's) position track. You get a nice smooth path. I taught this to a group of people in one of my MAX courses that does architectural walk-throughs. They really liked the technique. It's more natural and you don't end up doing a lot of editing to the path. You look at a target object at a particular position -- the path is naturally generated. You do a bit more work on the front end by keying both the camera and target, but less tweaking on the back end.

A side effect is that you get keys that can be easily manipulated in the curve editor and they export to .3DS. The curves are a bit more intuitive to artists as you don't have to think about percentages along the path.

Animation with IK is different. At this point, you really want to get the plugin.

good luck!
    The MATRIX has you