A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug

Bug

Ok, you know when you click on a file that is associated with a program, it opens that program. When I click on a movie file made with 3DFA, I get an error when 3DFA opens. It says "Unknown File". Does anyone else have this problem? I use WIN XP Home Edition.

Are you sure you are opening a .movie as opposed to a .mov? I haven't seen video import added yet, and this could be confusing as the same three letters are in the same place. HINT: A .movie is 3DFA, a .mov is QuickTime (a totally different thing that 3DFA does not yet import - and probably won't until video support IS added, go figure).

hates sounds in preloaders.
    When i open a .movie file in explorer, i get the same prob. I think win 2000 only supports file extension with 3 letters. It reads the first three letters, .mov, and can't open it.
    hurg.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Ahah. I see.

When you double click a .movie file in Windows Explorer it tries to open in 3dfa; but the filename is truncated within 3dfa, so it tries to load a .mov file instead. It can't find that and gives an error message.

Since you can double click an .html file extension in the same way, and this has a 4 character file extension, I guess it's not a Windows 2000 problem but a 3dfa oversight.

Can someone check if it worked in v3.72, as I seem to remember it did? (I had to rebuild my PC, so I can't check anymore)

Good spotting Flashpulse,

M.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

I'm trying to open 3DFA by double clicking on a .movie file that has been made with 3DFA. This then loads the file into 3DFA.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Sorry if I was unclear.

I agree. I recommend e-mail'ing it to support.

Good luck.

M.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

Originally posted by ForumNewbie
    Sorry if I was unclear.

I agree. I recommend e-mail'ing it to support.

Good luck.

M.
    Sorry ForumNewbie, I miss read your post, lol. The first guy through me off that replied to my post. If I remember right, it did work in 3.72. I sent it to support@3dfa.com.
    Last edited by FLASHPULSE; 07-02-2003 at 05:40 PM.

I just got around to testing my copy of 3DFA for opening files from Explorer and have had no problems. So maybe it is your particular v4. Are you using a beta or release? If a beta, then you're in the past - v4 release 3 is the most current as of this post. (I tested for the problem in it without failure.)

I use V4 release 2. So far I have had this error with all of V4 releases and betas.

Ok, I downloaded V4 release 3 and I still have the same error.

ERROR
    Unkown file format: C:blah\blah\blah\MOVIE5~1.MOV

same

I get the same error here.

The *.movie extension is not registered the right way in XP. You even cannot repair the registry because the *.movie file is not recognized. 3DFA is not even in the list of registered programs.

Try telling me that!

I did my test on XP Professional!

Maybe you should check to see if the Associate Files option is checked on the Workspace tab of the Options dialog (on 3DFA's view menu)!

Originally posted by JSDvs9172
    Try telling me that!

I did my test on XP Professional!

Maybe you should check to see if the Associate Files option is checked on the Workspace tab of the Options dialog (on 3DFA's view menu)!
    It is checked!

You CAN have 3dfa open and DRAG & DROP the file into the window...That works.
    My Sites: Gaming Site Nightshade Studios MyKM Tutorials

--------------------------------------------------
    What I'm using: Gimp, Koolmoves, Sepy, HTML-Kit, Inkscape

Looks like it just happened to me. Maybe for me it was 3DFA coming down to a situation with a short file name (8 chars or less as it was when we were all stuck with Win3.x and DOS if you remember that). It seems to be that this is the issue at hand - maybe 3DFA has a long filenames bug? That is something I would call old fashioned. I mean, you would think with people naming files with more than eight characters this would not be happening. I saw someone else had this problem on a truncation scale (when long names become SOMEFI~x.MOV for the first Some Fileyyy.movie where x is the number from 1 to 9 that replaces leyyy in which is the caracter stream after Some File in the name). Extra chars can be dropped off if you're prone to using Same File whatever. That is simply for non-32-bit apps, but not many people use those anymore. So I suggest that it is a 3DFA launch routine bug and not a problem with the association, meaning that the bug is not in how 3DFA associates files but rather how it recognizes them. In laymans terms, 3DFA thinks it is opening a QuickTime file and fails to open it instead of recognizing it as its own. Therefore, it appears to not be the association but the 3DFA code. If I were you I would send this baby to support IMMEDIATELY.

Not just you it is the same here as I posted above

Originally posted by blanius
    Not just you it is the same here as I posted above

LOL

3D Flash Animator 4.0+ Unknown File Bug Fix

Current 3DFA version: 3D Flash Animator 4.0 Release 4

To fix the bug on Windows XP

Open up Control Panel and then Folder Options, then go to file types. Find the "MOVIE" file and select it and click on Advanced. Select "open" from the list and click edit. Then in the window find "Application used to perform action". Under it you should find C:\Program Files\3D Flash Animator 4 Release 4\3DFlashAnimator.exe %1. Replace that string with "C:\PROGRA~1\3DFLAS~4\3DFLAS~1.exe" %1 and click OK and OK again to save the settings.

Now double-clicking the MOVIE file would open using the 3D Flash Animator Program without any problems.

* If you are using another version of 3DFA besides Release 4, find the right short DOS display format of the paths.

Hope this helps.
    A soul is not only a tool but a way for the mind to be able to become one with its consciousness.

Unfortunately, that ain't so - NTFS does not store a short name for every program installed, 3DFA included.