A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video to swf

video to swf

hi all,

from a video ...
    i´ve made a swf that works fine, (video.swf)

the thing is ...( i want to play it inside another movie and in the place i want ) ...
    when i import that swf into another project, it comes with all frames in blank, no images or anything, so i can not use it as a mclip.

a way of doing it arround could be to load it at a certain level, but in that case i can not control the position of that loaded movie as i can not access frame 1 of the video.swf,

any ideas or help on this ???

thanks in advance

m

Yes, the method you describe won't work.
    Not sure how you're sourcing your original movie.swf. If you are creating it with Sorenson Squeeze, then you need the output to flv rather than swf, that allows you to import the video into another project as you are trying.
    If you have sourced your movie.swf another way (say from after effects) then you have to load it dynamically. Create an MC on your timeline (you may find this easier to place a coloured box, same size and dimensions to as your movie.swf) then give the MC a name, say mov_container, then after that you can move, tween, rotate, fade that MC as much as you like. On frame 1 (or wherever you need) you'll need to load your movie into you new container.
    so...
    mov_container.loadMovie("path/movie.swf")

that should do it for you.

preloader ??

thanks mate,

yeah, i believe that will work fine,
    just one more thing,
    as i can not access frame 1 of the video.swf, and leave it blank,
    i´m not able to use an external preloader for that video.swf,
    how can i set up a preloader (with a progressive bar and percentage)for that movie so it loads completely before playing ?
    as you see this are my first steps on flash-video land,

thanks for your help,

regards,

m

yes you can access frame one of your video.swf, the way i did it was to make frame 1 a stop() frame. This means when you double click video.swf it opens the flash player and is blank.(i.e. animation does not play.)

so in your loader programme you then need

mov_container.nextframe();
    mov_container.play()

(i think you may be able to do it with
    mov_container.gotoandPlay(2)

there are plenty of loader examples on here, do a search in the movies section, that's where I got mine from.

In essence, after mov_container.loadMovie you will be checking mov_container.getBytesloaded against mov_container.getBytestotal.

Drop a line back if you get stuck