A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: stream over network?

stream over network?

I'm working on a project that will be delivered on CD and potentially over a network.

I have a standalone holder SWF that loads each section into itself. I know on a CD it has to load the whole movie before playing but is it the same for a network?
    I want to put a preloader in each section as they are quite large and I'm just wondering will the preloader work when it's on the network or would I have to embed it in HTML?

I'm reading through the FAQs as I post this but would really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The file has to be streamed (from a web server) for Flash to get the byte counts to make preloaders and such stuff work. The only way to get this to work on a network or local file system is to request the files through a web server.

If this is for an intranet you can make all the file requests through a copy of personal web server (on the local machine) or a central web server like IIS or Apache that isn't actually on the net, just used to serve up files inside the company.
    Last edited by Northcode; 08-22-2003 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what type of network they have set up at the moment.

Thanks