A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with component loader

Help with component loader

Ok I just got Flash MX 2004.....but need some help with the loader component.

I am using the loader component to load an external image, I would like to create an event listener for this image I have loaded.

I have tried numerous ways to add a listener for the component but cant get anything to work. I used the examples that came with Flash as a reference for my code. There examples refer to buttons, so I am assuming that the code structure is pretty much the same no matter what type of component it is.....button etc....

The only way I can get the loader component to work is with the following code...

image1.onRelease = function(){
    trace("test");
    }
    When I use this code the image is clickable....when I try an event listener the image is not clickable...I have tried calling a function from the following code.....

image1.addEventListener("click", myfunction)

nothing happens....

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated any sample code would be nice to...

addEventListener generally only aplies to components. Where you are just assigning it to a movieclip, use the first way you tried that worked.

BTW when you add a listener to an object, the part where you put myFunction, actually needs to be a call to an object that has a click function assigned to it

Thanx dude......makes perfect sense now....I didnt know that the loader component was actually a movie clip....thanx.....

ummm, sorta, the loader component is a component, but what you load in, ISNT a component... does that make sense? You can target the loader component, but generally it is bad form. Because lets say you load in a movie clip that has mutliple "buttons". Hope that helps. Enjoy

Makes perfect sense...thanx for all your input...by the way checked out your page awesome job on the image gallery....Thats what I am currently workin on....

Thanx...

cool! let me know how it goes!