A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opinions on my first logo

All go with the name, and a lot of marketing, hell if i see a mushroom and think about development i think there must be something wrong with me, dont get me wrong i can see your point there but not exactly an advice i would give for somebody just starting and that has to make an identity.
    I was pointing at the fact that the name should go with the logo, and talking about programing languages isnt a good example, that target is not the average joe and the product per se isnt either so is a tricky thing and i really dont feel like getting into it, and the "BASF" "Disney" "Playboy" logos started with the names as well, so more to my point, after u have spent all the money thay have and after a few years, sure go with the mushroom all alone, but my advice is to put your name in there with your graphic decision (your mushroom or whatever u feel represents u) i once made a logo for a development company that was a coffe stain.
    Or tell me a brand that started with no name??? thats basic marketing.

Just my 2 cents.

Th only reason I picked a mushroom is cause I think they look cool, and I havent seen barely anyone who has that type of logo. Yeah I know the name is "gay", but its a little late now, I bought the domain name for two years(Stupid me). Maybe I'll change it.

well when they started as companies i don't hink they had trillion of dollars, nor expecting to be such BIG companies, so why did they choose those logos? i don't think they said "well i make this logo, and then i'll spent MILLIONS on advertising". They however had a good marketing strategy and are getting better and better at it.
    Im not saying they did, im saying tha if they use the graphic only is after all that process and investment, im also not saying that this logo is wrong or anything as a concept, however should be worked carefully, do u remember how big the name (NIKE) used to be on theyre old ads/shoes?

that's what i'm saying. You can't just pu a mushroms and say well, there it is, my company identity. It's much more than a logo. The name of Flashers company must be rethought.

About putting the name with the logo. True. But i think it's best to design a logo that could go With or without the name, according to the case you need it.

Now, my personal case:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=484509

the name is "innocuo" (it means "harmless") i tried to develop a logo using the I and N (the first to letters of INNOCUO), i failed. I made a completelly unrelated logo: a little guy inspired on a self portrait i made almost 6 years ago. People liked it i guess. I like it. I think it goes well with the name, and the name of the "company", the logo, and the bussiness area are completelly unrelated. If you say that's wrong, then i gotta send the bussiness cards i recently bought to the trash bin . But i do think it can be effective. Why? i have strategy. With the name of the company, i went for the sound, innocuo (in spanish) sounds cool, from my point of view. The logo, looks cool. That's what i was looking for. My startegy is to advertise as a fresh company, young, cool, totally out of the standards of usual web design companies where big guys in black suits come to sell you a website.

When thinking on the name, and after that, making the logo, and also chosing the colors, font, and styles i'll use, i was thinking beyond the corporate identity. I was thinking how was i going to advertise myself (the compnay, the logo). I was thinking: "the logo has to look cool on tshirts".....more to it, i plan not to stay as a webdesign company, i want to sell my brand, get known for my logo, and then expand. So i'm not limited by it, cause my logo really doesn't represent a webdesign company, neither does the name.

Now, I'll tell you in a couple of years if my strategy work, or if i was and am and will be wrong
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    do u remember how big the name (NIKE) used to be on theyre old ads/shoes?
    of course i remember
    Sponsored by your mom.

I will concede that argonauta makes a decent point about the relationship between some companies logos and the content of their merchandise. I think you can only take that point to a point, so to speak. I disagree that Disney's castle has nothing to do with animation, however I think they were going more for 'imagination', and I think they were successful. They call the people who design their rides 'Imagineers', after all. I further disagree that Nike's logo has nothing to do with sports or sportwear. The image in and of itself conveys a sense of style and speed. While it is sometimes acceptable to use an unrelated image or shape, you need to have the marketing dollars to back it up with a branding recognition campaign. I will stick to the opinion that it is far better to follow tried and true design principles when coming up with a logo and associated graphics. Far better still when it is a designer who is designing the logo to represent himself and his work, which could very well include designing logos for others. If you have to explain your own logo to your prospective clients, you might as well hang up your mouse right now.

Sure, there are all kinds of cute stories about how companies came up with their name, but even after they came up with their cute name I'd wager that the designers who made the logo took into consideration the market that the company was trying to reach and geared it appropriately. Not every company in the world hires a top-notch designer to do their logo and marketing collateral for them, though. There is no shortage of examples of poor design out there.

Flasher ~

I don't think there is anything wrong with the name...either lot-201 or lot-21. I will say that a good designer can make the logo convey whatever you desire it to. I again assert that you should determine what it is that you want it to convey and then go from there. Forget about 'what would be cool' or 'what would I be comfortable drawing'...determine first what your ultimate goal is. Do you want to be hip, corporate and business like, esoteric, techy?

You've had this name for two years. What made you choose it in the first place? If it still means something to you, determine exactly what that is...write it down, look at it, mull it over. Once you have that look at from a client's perspective...what does it say about this person you have never met, this company you have never heard of? Does it make you say 'very professional' or 'yeah baby, that's slick! I want something like that!', or does it make you say 'hmmm, what's that thing on the left?'. Would you hire this company, or least make contact with them, based on what you see?

Finally, if you determine that the name doesn't really mean anything to you anymore or that it doesn't best reflect your abilities and services as a company, then ditch it and come up with another based on what you came up with earlier.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Thank u, im having some problems with my wording right now (not much sleep) but thats pretty much what i meant.
    Time to try and get some sleep.

Do clients acttually hire somone based on their lofo, and not what work they have done? I want my clients to say 'yeah baby, that's slick! I want something like that!' How would I make a logo that makes the clients say that?

Rush, phreakdevil, i agree with you i have to admit you destroyed some of my arguments. Again, i'm not saying the traditional way of designing a logo is bad, i'm just saying it's not th only way. More if you're a designer designing your logo. If you use only what you learn in school/college, then you're a little bit lost as a designer, where also psychological and artistic aspects are needed. Sometimes you also have to follow you're heart, be an artist, dream, go against standards, put your talent on paper. Be creative and not too brainy.

At least that's how i am, as i'm all self taught, i've never gone to college. So I have other standards and techniques when it comes to designing. I do it all by heart. That's why i defend that point of view of "tha is not necessary the only way".

i don't know if you 2 did go to college or are self-taught.
    Last edited by argonauta; 08-28-2003 at 02:37 AM.
    Sponsored by your mom.

Originally posted by argonauta
    If you use only what you learn in school/college, then you're a little bit lost as a designer, where also psychological and artistic aspects are needed. Sometimes you also have to follow you're heart, be an artist, dream, go against standards, put your talent on paper. Be creative and not too brainy.
    YEAH, BABY! I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Originally posted by argonauta
    At least that's how i am, as i'm all self taught, i've never gone to college. So I have other standards and techniques when it comes to designing. I do it all by heart. That's why i defend that point of view of "tha is not necessary the only way".
    I again agree. I went to the Art Institute of Seattle and they taught me the principles, gave examples, explained concepts, etc., but it was up to the individual to take that information and use it to focus their natural talent. Can you be a designer by using just one or the other? Yes, absolutely. In fact, the world is full people who do just that. However, the designs created by their synergistic union will possess a quality that is immediately apparent upon viewing.

Am I the best designer in the world because I went to school, learned the principles of design, and am also able to bring natural talent to the table? No, I don't think so. I have seen things that have made my jaw drop in awe and wonder. I do consider myself to be very good however (all humility aside...) , and far better for having gone to school.

Next question...do you need to go to school in order to be the best you can be? No, not at all. I would say that you would have to do the same thing I did though, which is to put in the time not only learning what you can from the available resources...the net is a great place to glean information as is the local library...but also putting in yet more time actually putting this information to work in the form of designing and drawing. Another great benefit to going to school was the opportunity to get feedback on your work. It is simply invaluable to know how your images impact others. That's also one of the great things about forums such as this. There are some very talented designers lurking around here, as well as a few that are not so talented. Take all the feedback...everyone has a valid opinion...but also consider the source. AND BY ALL MEANS separate yourself and your ego from these opinions. Examine them objectively and learn from them. And remember that not everyone will agree with you, like your work, or think you are good. Form and hold your own opinion regarding this and know that we are all always evolving and improving.

Flasher ~

Do clients hire someone based only on looking at their logo? Not usually. They have to start somewhere though, and aside from word of mouth (which can't be underestimated), this is generally the first thing they will see if they come across your business card or web site while in the process of looking for a designer. First impressions are very powerful, make it a good one.
    mrush

man, i really write too fast and make a lot of spelling mistakes and put too many smilies

Anyway. Rush, i agree. In my case, some of life circumstances are the cause of me not going to college, but that's another story.

Experience is what teachs you how things work, what is good and what is bad. You can get experience by your own, it's doable, you got the internet, there's all kind of info there to learn from. I just consider college as an accelerator, cause there you receive guidance, and people that already have experience can teach you from other people experiences.

Try to cook rice if you can't. By your own, just following a book, i bet at least the first three times your rice will taste awful, but after that you'll reach the learn curve and will start to improve. BUT, it took you time to learn, and a lot of bad rice gone to the trash. Now, it would be easier if you just had asked your mother how to cook it. Then probably, you could have learn how to make a tasty rice in less time. So, college is your mother, and knoledge is like rice

I do believe however, that talent is something quite important for everything. With no talent, you can learn stuff and be good. With talent, you can learn stuff and be great.

Anyway, this has been a nice discussion, we could keep on going, and could hijack this thread if you want. Anyways, it's been a pleasure arguing with you and the sleepy phreakdevil
    Last edited by argonauta; 08-28-2003 at 02:40 AM.
    Sponsored by your mom.

Heh...yes, I guess knowledge is like rice.

I have to say I don't consider the thread to by hijacked, the discussion has stayed right on the very topic that was first initiated...designing a logo. If I were Flasher I couldn't have asked for better feedback.
    mrush

Okay, after about a week or two of designers block I'm back with another logo. Tell me what you think about this one.

cheers

Hmmmm....it needs something. I'm not crazy about the font. Keep working on it Flasher!

Rushvision, you sound like me two years ago sometimes. Nice going

That font is not all that great. It looks very unbalanced. Reminds me of the little magnetic letters for the refridgerator.

Not sure either about the black graphic above either. It's better than the mushroom, but just as arbitrary.

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide