A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CD-ROM minimum specs.

CD-ROM minimum specs.

Howdy all,

Anyone know of a way to test a Flash CD-ROM for minimum computer specifications? Other than finding a low end computer and trying it out.

As grampa Jabez always sez, "nothing, no nothing can take the place of good old fashioned testing!"

Actually, I'm not a grampa, and I don't always say that, but it's true. The best thing to do, if you don't have multiple machines sitting around, is send your CD to beta testers that have different machine specs and ask them to test your CD for bugs/speed/quality/etc. I generally rely on my family for this, as they love to see my new creations, are btually honest, and generally have crappy machines.
    I also have a few professional colleagues that exchange projects on a regular basis for testing.

At any rate, nothing will do it like real field testing will.

OK. Thanks. I had a feeling you would say that.

Vote for your dog
    Try your local library...you know the place with the books.

The machines usually are ancient beyond belief. Windows 3.11 or 95.

just one thing to remember, the wide slot might be for a 5 1/4 floppy and not a CD-Rom.

Or buy a used desktop for $25-50. Check in the classifieds under "Boat Anchors".

Thanks. I also just talked to a company that does compatability testing. I am awaiting a quote from them. They said most jobs start at about $3000.00. It would be nice to have good thorough data to hand to my client.

If you're ready to spend $3000.00, don't! I'll do it for 1/3 the cost and give you a full report along with it.
    If your CD is cross-platform, I can test it on one Mac computer and 3 windows-based computers ranging from 300mhz/128mb ram to 2.8ghz/512ddm ram with cd, cd-r, cd r/w dvd-r and windows 98/me/xp.
    In actuality, though, I think your best bet for the long-run is the tried and true open-source-community-method of real-world beta testing. Don't throw your money away on something that will not put you any further ahead than a little elbow grease would.
    If the project being released is something large like an application, I would say "yes", by all means farm this out to a dedicated testing facility. But, if this is more like a flash-based CD project, go the cheaper route and put the money saved back into growing your business.
    Just my humble opinion, though.

Thanks for your input and your humble opinion. I like to know all of my options. I can then offer my client all of the options. I have an estimate coming from the test facility and I will then have a good solid idea of what it costs. I can then talk to my client and we can make an educated decision. It might be worth it to them.

Hmmm...

We test it on 26 different platforms and configurations for our CD-ROM company.

You'd be surprised what even certain new machines do to CD-ROM presentations depending on what you put on it.

http://www.cybericard.com

Good luck...

Tom

Thanks for the input. The company I had quote it is called Veritest.

Does your company do testing only? I didnt see it listed in services.

No,

We just include it with every development project that we take.

If you want to share the specs & quote you got from the other companies, I'd be happy to comment and see if we can provide a better price and service.

tom@cybericard.com

Tom