A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash newsletters

fk's official minger

flash newsletters

Hi

I have been searching around for examples of flash newsletters (ie: newsletters built in flash)..but I have had no success - does anyone have any example of some really nice ones?

It's for my boss as we are going to be creating one soon and we need inspiration

any help muchly appreciated

louise
    meep meep

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Do you mean newsletters in flash to display in the user's mail client?

If you answered 'yes' to this question, you're playing with fire. Flash playback within mail clients is tricky at best, and most still prefer to mail the link and have the recipient link to the page to view the content.

Case in point, a couple of years ago, we made a Flash Xmas card for some friends and sent it out. Even some of those that had the correct player still couldn't see the content - and overall, more than 50% of the recipients saw nothing other than a little red 'x' in the corner of the mail.

Needless to say, we never did that again.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

I would be interested to see how it goes for you. Hurricanone had a bad experience but that was a few years ago. I wonder if it would work out better now.

I am going to say that it's even harder now to get Flash files to display as you want them to in an email than it was a year or two ago. Many of the problems arise from the security measures that people have been forced to put in place to combat all the virus' that are going around. Anyone who has installed the Microsoft Outlook Email Security Update that was released way back in 2000 will likely not be able to see your email as you intend. Concerns about security have only risen since, and as far as I know no great strides have been made that will allow Flash files to bypass these security measures. A great many people also have the html option turned off in their email programs.

I wrote a tutorial on how to send rich media email that may be of some use to you. Page 6 of the tutorial contains information specific to the security issues, but you might find something useful in the rest of it as well.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

_
    I think he might mean signing up for one?

If you have a php newsletter script you can POST the variables to it.

-Mike

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh
    I think he might mean signing up for one?

If you have a php newsletter script you can POST the variables to it.

-Mike
    Um, unlikely that they meant signing up for one, as they said 'examples'. That would surely imply they want a 'template' for their own use.

But I do see what you mean about using php to dynamically create the flash html page parameters etc, though getting the swf to display is still going to have to overcome the security implementations RUSHVision was talking about.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

You need a third-party vendor... there are no reliable desktop clients unfortunately...

We've sent Flash Email for clients ranging from Ameritrade, IBM, Compaq to name a few...and it doesn;t seem to be getting any either for large broadcasts. You're almost always delivering alternate content if the media gets restricted.

Here's our brain dump on the topic..

http://www.templatekit.com/articles....ype=A&cat_id=6

Search out the Flash Articles for more info..

Best of luck...