A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I experience lag in flash movie with 3D objects

I experience lag in flash movie with 3D objects

Hi there! Can someone help me? I made a movie with some 3D objects in it which were imported from Swift3D. I used mesh gradient shading and as a result I get lag. Look here and maybe you'll understand more clearly: http://weeman.techas.lt/help.html (of course it is not finished!). Try to go with your cursor over the 3D objects you should see a tooltip and as you can see it moves pretty slowly. So can you help me with that? (Sorry for my english, english isn't my native language...)
    Last edited by Wee-man; 09-03-2003 at 01:19 AM.

cant see your website but have you made sure that both your 3d animation adn your flash file both ahve the same fps?

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    It is not swift causing the prob from what I see.
    My guess is it is the way you have actioned within flash.
    It is a simple static vector image - it shouldn't cause lag.

Oh sorry i've made a mistake in the linkt seems to be fine now.
    NitroCharged, well i don't think that it's flash fault because on 2D objectis it works fine. By the way on some 3D objects too, but not on those which have mesh gradient shading. And about a static vector image, as I know flash automaticly transform 3D objects in to 2D. Am I wrong? But when you drag 3D object in flash it shows it's outlines which are still 3D. What's wrong??? Please help! (sorry again for my english )

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    OK - how big are those images you imported?
    the file is 254Kb in size - seems really big for such a small movie content....

Originally posted by Wee-man
    By the way on some 3D objects too, but not on those which have mesh gradient shading.
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't really know who's 'fault' it is, but it is true that some graphics will bog down Flash to an absolute crawl. The more complex the image, the more pronounced the effect will be. It doesn't always take that much, though. As a solution, the best you can do is try to optimize the image as much as possible. Reduce any of your segmentation settings, in the Preview and Export Editor try setting the Detail Level to Low, and cut the dimensions at least in half prior to export. You can scale it back up once you import it into Flash. Finally, for some of those things you might want to replace the exported mesh gradients with gradients of your own that you create in Flash using the shapes generated by Swift3D as a template.

Originally posted by Wee-man
    ...as I know flash automaticly transform 3D objects in to 2D. Am I wrong?
    Yes, I'm afraid you are wrong. It's actually Swift3D that is converting the 3D object into the vector format for use in Flash.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

things that slow down the flash player (graphics wise);
    1. transparency (i notice you have that on your windows)
    2. gradients (i mesh gradient render adds lots of gradients)
    possible solutions;
    1. mabey try an area gradient render at the scale of objects i don't think it will make tooo much difference.
    2. loose the transparency.
    3. change your mc drag code from mouseMove to enterFrame and bump up the frame rate.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro