A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Kingdoms Demo

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar

2 Kingdoms Demo

That's it ! Here is the first fully playable Demo of Two Kingdoms :

- You control Lothar, a fierce Knight with the keyboard ARROWS and use SPACE to fight against you enemies
    - You have to be close to your enemies, and facing them to be able to hit them !

- Lothar loses some life every step he makes ! use the potions to regain some health

- You can access your inventory by clicking on the backpack at the left/down part of the screen

- the red dots in the right-top of the interface are to go through different music themes, the excentered one to stop the music

- Your backpack allows you to equip your character : to get the bonus points allocated, each object has to be carried on, not only present in the backpack - so don't forget to equip your swords, bucklers etc ...to equip, click on "+" over the object.
    Your backpack also holds the detailed stats about Lothar
    You cannot carry more than 4 objects at a time
    - A discarded object is a lost object

You can collect Life potions, better weapons or stronger armors during the game : be sure to explore thoroughly each map as it could hide precisous treasures
    - You collect them by steping on them
    - To use them, go in the inventory and click on "+"

Some of the characters in the game will ask you to help them : by completing these quests, you will gain priceless rewards that will help you go further in the game ...
    - By getting close to them, you will trigger the Dialogue option
    Read carefully what they say, as they might not repeat

I think that's it for the gameplay ... if you have questions, ask here
    ----------------------------------
    The demo still have some bugs, don't forget that this is not the final product, so somehow buggy AI will be corrected : it takes time to tune these little things

To come :
    Final maps,
    Quest Journal
    More enemies
    Sidekick that help you in the game
    More, much more quests
    Tons of new locations to visit
    Magic weapons system

Please, let me know if you enjoyed

-----------------------------------
    IMPORTANT
    -----------------------------------
    If it can motivate people to go through the whole thing, i will gladly offer the 5 first personns that will PM me the final talk of the Elf guy, 5 credits as beta-testers in the final game credits -

Anyway, let me know what you think, if it's too difficult, not enough etc

ksssss - we hatesssss fffilthy sssssspidersssssss........

The demo

Goal : journey, and find the exit of the Moytura mines, complete all the quests to find extra weapons !

http://grafikdezign.free.fr/game/game.htm
    850 K game + 300 K external music file

yessssss!!!!

i'll try it later since i'm downloading way too much things right now ^_^

* edit *
    have an estimation of how long to complete it?
    Last edited by marmotte; 09-14-2003 at 12:44 PM.

i played it for a bit, it was great! you need to revise the pa system though, i want to be able to control with my keyboard, and i hate the fact that if i am moving too fast i might miss out on information. i still feel the character moves a bit too fast. slow it down with a setInterval or something.
    [m]

That was great! I played it for about 10-15 minutes. I returned the Key, and got the Sword. Then I got killed by an Orc or something. The only thing I didn't like was how you equip items. The button was too small and too near the drop item button. I would like to drag-and-drop to equip the character... but that's a minor complaint. A truly great game!

Specs:
    400Mhz
    64MB RAM
    56k Modem
    Flash Player 7 for Opera 7

It downloaded pretty quickly, especially considering I was downloading Windows Update files at the same time. However the screen was black while loading the preloader, so most people couldn't tell if it was loading or not; when the preloader finally appeared it had loaded about 50% of the content.

The frame rate was ok when there was no bad guys or special effects (e.g. rain), but when I started 3/4 bad guys it started to slow down quite a bit. Although I think some of this can be attributed to the Flash Player for Opera, it wasn't until yesterday that I noticed its considerably slower than the Netscape player for even simple things like straight animation, despite the fact that Opera uses the same plugin as Netscape. I would have tested using IE 6 but IE 6 crashes my computer now after someone installed some dodgy toolbars into it. I lowered the quality to speed up the game but then I couldnt read the text propery as the font you used isnt too legible at a low quality.

Graphics, music, sounds and presentation are all excellent. I played 2 quick games each about 10-15mins long, and although I wasnt exploring very much I did actually find some new things which was nice. In the first game I had I didnt realise how to actually use/equip items as the button was small; I initially tried drag/drop onto my character. The furthest I got was the shield and the better sword, then ventured into the Forest got lost and killed by Orcs. Its a damn hard game, im not even sure if its possible to kill the Orcs with bow & arrows, and when 3 bad guys gang up on you your as good as dead.

Hopefully thats some constructive criticism, anything I haven't mentioned is perfect. If only more web game's could be of this quality

Originally posted by strille
    The only thing I didn't like was how you equip items. The button was too small and too near the drop item button.
    I agree with that, equip and discard buttons are too small and too close to each other. Inventory screen also needs some button to close it.

Game also might need compass, as where is the "south" Im suppose to go.

I think when entering new map Lothar should face in the direction he walked into new map.

Without saving I would say its pretty tough game. First time the wolf killed me, second time I got to some orc without the bow and he was too strong. Those bowmen are moving so fast, it takes forever to catch and kill them.

I love the rain effect

That is really cool....I love the game!
    It was fast loading....just a great job

Hey !!!

Glad to have some reviews already !

I will make the 'equip' and 'discard' buttons bigger - about the drag and drop, i'm not sure as it will take me to re-write some of the inventory parts ( which could be tedious, since it's me who programmed it, it is already quite messy ... )

about the dialogue -> all the quests will be archived in the quest journal, so you won't miss any information : it is just that i didn't had time to write it ...

About difficulty : that's one important part : if most of you have problems, i will lower the grunts and captain damages, it's quite easy

About optimization : yes i know the preloader is quite long to arrive : i will work on that too / just hope than the content worths the wait though

About low-bandwith : without sound the game is 750 K to download, which doesn't make a big difference, so tell me if any of you want a Nosound version

Read carfully the notice in my post above, it contains valuable information about the interface ...

Waiting for your reactions...

Originally posted by marmotte

have an estimation of how long to complete it?
    Don't really know : it's difficult for me to be judge since i know the maps : i would say between 30 mn and an hour ? for those who complete, tell me the approximative amount of time you had to spend !
    ... and don't forget the contest !

Hint : remember than using the life potions allows you to regain some lifestats !
    There should be enough in-game to allow you to complete it : don't forget to explore maps !

Great job lux!!
    That has to be my new fav flash game, even tho its a demo.
    Definatly make a save system soon. I got pretty far, only to find out i had to go against baddies with bows, a hugh ogre thing and a bunch of wolves on the same screen, then when I died, I had to start all over!

A couple of ideas:
    -Make a compas. I was trying to go straight down, when I heard south, not down and to the left.
    -Either make the item equiption a drag and drop style, or move the discard this item button over to the right corner.

That's about it. Again great job, and the full version will be awsome!

EDIT
    nvm about the idication, but another thing to add is a pause feature
    Last edited by jtnw; 09-14-2003 at 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by jtnw
    Definatly make a save system soon. I got pretty far (...) but another thing to add is a pause feature
    The pause feature is planned : it will even pause when you are opening the inventory

you say pretty far : this is about 10% of the demo, so i'm happy that you already consider this pretty far

Don't forget to collect all the life potions : they are meant to help you with your quest !

By making enemies difficult to beat, but giving away several potions i was thinking that i could push players to explore, as in a 'real' RPG...

I have everyhting : maps, solution, objects spots already ready, so if i see it's a little too difficult i can publish them !

Please, could some of you, later, try to really take some time to complete the game ( a.k.a go through the mines, kill the demon and find the exit ) i would really have feedback on the whole game, levels, difficulty ...
    I know i have to tweak stuff, but only people that don't know the game can help me on this !

it will even pause when you are opening the inventory (...) Don't forget to collect all the life potions
    Ironically I died when the game didn't pause when I needed to use a potion during an ambuse because I was gonna die!

By making enemies difficult to beat, but giving away several potions i was thinking that i could push players to explore, as in a 'real' RPG...
    But the problem with this is, your health goes down while you walk, so you waste the potions you just found

When the inventory was open, I could still walk and fight.

Beside that, it is so great. Although I still think that Flash is the best when it comes to funny arcade games, this is one of the best flash games I have ever seen! And it's only a demo! Great job man!

The first thing I notice... Your HTML page needs a title

UPDATE : i've lowered from 2 points the grunt and captain (orcs) damages : the game should be a little easier then.

I've only done about 10% of it then myself, so this isn't a full blown useful post I'm afraid Lux, just a quick well done. Stunning work, really fantastic.

I'll have more of a play later, and hopefully be a bit more constructive rather than an I love you post

Squize.

- If you collect the key before going to the church place, he will ask you to go and collect the key when you get there - Even though you have key already.

Nice things to have:

- PageUp/Down to scroll dialogue, i can do almost everything else with the keyboard - its annoying having to reach for the mouse to look through the text.

The game ended when i got cornered by some big guys in the mountains... I had 3 potions in my inventory but couldnt use them in time... So i got annoyed and quit.

Nice work though, a save feature would have been nice for a demo of this size, or pause on inventory open. Ahwell... cant have everything i guess!!

Keep it up.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

what can i say, beautifull! other than the points posted i can't think of anything else to add except job well done!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Originally posted by BlinkOk
    (...)except job well done!
    Does it mean that i can keep the "DANG" prize ? i wonder because soon i will update the site ... -> ?

Common' guys : it's a -a bit- longer shot RPG than usual but i've just replayed it : (once again i know the maps, but) you should be able to reach the end : it's not that difficult : just clear level after level and make a good use of your potions (and complete the quests to have better weapons ...) Think Gauntlet !!!

There are too many enemies in the woods, i keep getting killed while im trying to get potion out of the inventory.

I want to complete it, but its just frustrating.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga