A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: $400 Standalone player 6 !!??

$400 Standalone player 6 !!??

So how do people feel about Macromedia charging for the right to distribute your own work, I think this one is a bit over the top. We buy the product then have to pay for right to distribute what we make with it, every year.
    I mean they want Macro media to compete in the future of the internet (hand held) yet price half the people in the community out of the market. It may be $500 bucks in the states, dont forget its $1000.00 in Australia, $1300.00 in New zealand. Thats just Bull.

Macrosoft.
    peace.

what does this refer to? could you post a link please?

cheers - n.

Audus,
    Yes, if you could provide a source for that info, I would really appreciate it.
    Although I haven't heard of this at all yet, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Have a link?

peace.

That really is very interesting and quite controversial. I don't know anything about the mobile applications market - but it would seem that if you can produce windows/mac projectors for free, why not pocket pc ones too?

By the way, audas, it seems you only need to buy the standalone projector once, not 'every year' as you wrote in your post.

And from the FAQ at
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/d.../pocketpc/faq/

Why is Macromedia charging $499 for the Standalone Macromedia Flash Player for Pocket PC 2002?
    The Standalone Flash Player gives developers the ability to create unlimited projectors (self running applications, without the need to install the Flash Player). This functionality gives developers the ability to distribute unlimited projectors, to charge for their content, while providing an engaging experience for consumers.
    Now if that isn't a convincing argument. lol

- n.

Sorry emenem, the Standalone Licence is for one year only. After that you must pay again. Any apps developed under the first licence are still distributable though.
    peace.

Originally posted by audas
    Sorry emenem, the Standalone Licence is for one year only. After that you must pay again. Any apps developed under the first licence are still distributable though.
    Ooops - yes, you are right, sorry. It's there are the end of the FAQ, somehow I didn't read it.

Amazing though, how it's not even mentioned on the page in the online store!

- n.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by enemem
    Amazing though, how it's not even mentioned on the page in the online store!

- n.
    Amazing in the same way that 1-5-9-9-5 sounds like less money than fifteen thousand nine hundred and ninety five.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting