A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac vs PC Font registration points

Mac vs PC Font registration points

Our designers work on Macs and I'm on PC, we have the same fonts, and have converted to many different formats with many different tools, but the textboxes always seem to align a little lower on the PC versions. This messes up all the layouts, outlines, and dropshadows when files are exported on PC.

Has anyone else experienced this, or found a solution? I noticed that the layouts are identical in Photoshop which use a baseline to place text instead of the text boxes? Examples below of a black textbox placed directly over a white graphic:

Exported on Mac:

Same fla exported on PC:

Well, PC Fonts and MAC fonts are usually different. I learned that you cannot install a PC font on a MAC and vice-versa. You have to buy it for that platform. It can be dangerous too, old fonts can be corrrupted and can corrupt your files. See when the font was made. If it's really old, I would update it or buy a new one.

First I would try "creating outlines" or "converting to paths" if you're in a graphics program before switching platforms. Of course, you lose the right to edit the type, but that's the best way to do it.

If that doesn't work, maybe there's a dropshadow? or effect to the font?
    Hope that helps.

line spacing

I am having a similar problem.

We create the text box on a mac. certain words in the text box have hotspots placed over them. If the text box contains multiple paragraphs, the issue of alignment becomes more noticeable.

On a mac, a hotspot will line up just fine, over text, near the bottom of, say, the third paragraph. When opened on a pc, the hotspot will not be aligned. It seems to be the line spacing.

If the line spacing was set to 1 on the mac it needs to be set to 1.5 on the PC to regain a similar line spacing to the mac version. But this is just a guess....example: line spacing of 2pts on a mac cannot be fixed on a pc by adjusting the spacing to 3pts (150% of the mac setting).....

if anyone gains any ground on resolving this issue...please let me know.

I will do the same...