A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Close window Java makes Mac crash, WHY!!!

Hey guys,

Here's my dilemma. I'm working on a website, and I keep having this problem. I have popup flash windows whick all have a close button. But when used on a Mac, Explorer or Netscape tends to crash. This does not happen every time you clikc on it, but most of the time, I can not surf the site for more thatn minutes without it happening at least once. But it works perfectly on a PC, why the hell does it crash on Mac.

Here is the Java code attached to the button.

on (release) {
    getURL ("JavaScript:window.close();");
    fscommand ("quit");
    }

here is a link to the page http://www.glsdezign.com/new_site/index.html

If anyone can help, please do, I can't figure it out
    Thanks

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Why dont you embed your swf into an html file instead of loading the swf directly. I'm not 100% sure that is the problem but it could be.

Actually it is embeded in a html file. So that's not the problem

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I just viewed your source and it appears that your main page is imbedded into an html file but your popups are not. The browser is just loading them directly. You can also look at the title bar of your pop-ups to realize this.

Yeah I realise that, I tried to runn it all through Flash, by using internal lauch functions, it works great on PC, but not on Mac, so I just updated all my fiels and embeded the files added Javascript to the Html file. So far so good, I've just tested it on three mac's and only one crashe, I guess that's a better average thatn beofre, hahaha.

Oh well, so much for trying the new age hi-tech stuff.

Guess Classic is the way to go

jasonsplace is right. Your pop ups are NOT embedded within html. Your mac's will not like the javascript:self.close() commands that you are probably using under your close buttons, as it is not recognizing them as pop up windows since there is no html.

If you go to this URL, http://www.flash-db.com/PopUp it will give you the exact code to put on your "portfolio" button for example. Just make the dimensions of the pop up window exactly match those of your swf pop up files, and you should be good to go.

RH

Originally posted by hanratty21
    jasonsplace is right. Your pop ups are NOT embedded within html. Your mac's will not like the javascript:self.close() commands that you are probably using under your close buttons, as it is not recognizing them as pop up windows since there is no html.

If you go to this URL, http://www.flash-db.com/PopUp it will give you the exact code to put on your "portfolio" button for example. Just make the dimensions of the pop up window exactly match those of your swf pop up files, and you should be good to go.

RH
    Yes I actually done that before, but that code is to attach to the actual Flash button is it not (that's what I had originally), now by embedin in the html file you mean what exactly. Shouldn't that code be inside the html instead.

That URL will give you the code necessary to attach to your Flash button within Flash. The html code can be generated when you publish your swf file from your fla within flash.

What I was saying is that the code on your "Close Window" button on the pop up probably uses javascript:self.close() to close the window. This code will cause a mac to crash if the window that you are "self-closing" was not a javascript pop up to begin with. The fact that you were not embedding your swf file within the html on your pop up is causing some sort of confusion in the mac browser and probably causing it to loop endlessly and...eventually...crash.

Make your original pop up button with the code provided by the link. Make the pop up window have html inside of it with your swf embedded. Make your close window button as it is...try this out. I am fairly certain it will fix your problems.

RH

has anyone using the pop up windows thing found that it sends mac IE5 browsers doo-la-leey, but works fine on IE5.2????

Why?