A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Flash MX 2004 Bug and Complaint List

Hybrid View

Nose Picker

Definitive Flash MX 2004 Bug and Complaint List

I read through the "Very disappointed in MX 2004" and found that it degenerated into folks unwilling to change and folks unwilling to acknowledge any kind of problems at all. I am, therefore, starting this thread in the hopes that we can create a list of issues that we would like Macromedia to address in an update or upgrade. There should not be any bashing of the software, just list numerically the issues that you have. There should also not be any cries of "get over it" or "that doesn't happen to me!". It obviously happens to some people so it is a legit bug. MX2004 is not perfect, and I am finding it much harder to get aquained with than MX from 5. I will start off with my list of grievences so far and will add more as I find them. If you have a grievence with a new feature that some else already listed then amen it so we can get a grasp on how important or annoying it is to the general population. Here is my list so far:

1) External files "Imported to Library" are not editable in any way. Import to stage doesn't have the same problems.

2) Removal of normal mode fom actionscript palette in favour of the behaviours palette which takes longer to run through. Expert mode is for AS experts. Behaviours are for AS know nothings. Most of us are inbetween which is what normal mode provided.

3) Removal of the rotate button on the transform tool

4) Background no longer "greys" when a symbol is double clicked for editting on stage. Makes it harder to isolate the symbol being editted.

5) Clearance of the undo list for a symbol once editting mode is closed.

6) Moving often used and repeatedly used in succession menu items to a submenu so they take more steps to reach (smooth, straighten, optimize, distribute to layers).

7) Flash Player doesn't seem smoother even with swf7 files. Rather makes older files jerkier until upgraded to 7 and then runs them the way fp6 ran them.

8) Undo seems to make the whole program flicker out of existance or a split second.

9) Saving via "Save As" kicks you out of any editting in progress and returns you to the main timeline.

10) Controller toolbar can't be docked under drawing tools anymore. Rather it will only dock next to it removing more horizontal work space.

11) Lack of scrollbar component (only scrollpane is left)

12) Theme system is painful to use. Was much easier to just edit the component in the library.

13) Timeline effects pointless and harder to implement than just tweening by hand (esp simple fades and wipes.)

14) Sporadic compatibility issues with previous FLA versions such as text problems, script problems, or no openning at all.

I'm too tired to go on so if I find more I'll post again. In the mean time lets here from all of you. And remember, keep it a civil, purely technical list. We're all professionals, lets act that way.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark2k; 09-23-2003 at 08:16 PM.

Flash Product Manager

Re: Definitive Flash MX 2004 Bug and Complaint List

Excellent! Thanks Mark. Let me ask a few questions below for clarification so that I may pass this information back to the product team.

Originally posted by Mark2k
    1) External files "Imported to Library" are not editable in any way. Import to stage doesn't have the same problems.
    [/B]
    What type(s) of files? As a test I just imported to library the following file types (w/ the Windows version):
    - FLV (Not editable - which is normal b/c it's a video object)
    - SWF (Imported a pretty big SWF and got editable symbols as well as BMPs)
    - Quicktime Movie
    - PDF (All text remained editable w/ exception of logos that were brought in as PNGs)

2) Removal of normal mode fom actionscript palette in favour of the behaviours palette which takes longer to run through. Expert mode is for AS experts. Behaviours are for AS know nothings. Most of us are inbetween which is what normal mode provided.
    I totally understand with this one and expected this response from some. I think Normal Mode just wasn't going to work with the new improvements in ActionScript 2.0. It's not that we had an engineer glaring over his cubicle wall with an evil grin going "Wooo-ha-ha-ha, I'll just take their Normal Mode away!" ;-) We found that most experienced Flash users were probably going to be OK with transitioning to hand coding their scripts.

I've tought ActionScript for Macromedia to thousands of Flash users and the first thing I always told them was to stop using Normal Mode. It was just too limiting. There's so much more that you can do with Expert mode. Though it does take a lot of getting used to. You may have noticed that we made several improvements to the code editor to speed you up, like code hinting, color coding, etc. The more you use it the easier it gets.

That said, believe me, I understand. I think removing Normal Mode was kind of a "tear off the band-aid" type of move in order to push the authoring environment forward.

3) Removal of the rotate button on the transform tool
    Hmm... Need some clarity on that one. The transform tool actually does have a rotate handle which you'll see if you move your cursor to the upper-right point of the shape. It should show a little rotate icon.

Is that what you meant or were you referring to something else?

4) Background no longer "greys" when a symbol is double clicked for editting on stage. Makes it harder to isolate the symbol being editted.
    Need more clarity on this one too. I just tried it in Flash MX and found that it was the same - didn't grey out when editing a symbol on stage. Doesn't seem to be any different in FLMX04.

5) Clearance of the undo list for a symbol once editting mode is closed.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just created a symbol, jumped back to the main stage, then re-opened the symbol, added more graphics, added some layers, made some more changes to the symbol, then jumped back out to the main stage again. Now I moved the graphic symbol around and drew a vector on the main stage (just to add something ot the history panel), and clicked "Ctrl-Z" (Undo) several times. You are correct that it did not undo any of the things I did inside the symbol. *However - I then double-clicked back into the symbol again (so now I'm inside the symbol) and THEN hit Undo and it undid each of the original steps one by one.

So it appears to me that each symbol maintains its own History. I think that's pretty cool, but like I said, there may be something I'm missing.

Let me know.

6) Moving often used and repeatedly used in succession menu items to a submenu so they take more steps to reach (smooth, straighten, optimize, distribute to layers).
    Yeah, that's just a new UI decision that will be frustrating for some. I can't really disagree.

7) Flash Player doesn't seem smoother even with swf7 files. Rather makes older files jerkier until upgraded to 7 and then runs them the way fp6 ran them.
    These player performance issues seem to be rather sporadic and inconsistent. I've been visiting random well-known Flash sites that are all Flash 6 or older and haven't really picked up on too many problems. I've seen some weirdness with text positioning but nothing major. I do believe you, I just haven't seen much of it myself. I wonder if it's exclusive to certain platforms and certain swfs.

Good news is that the Flash Player 7 now auto-updates itself so when we do find bugs (with the help of our VERY SPECIFIC users :- ) we can update the player and push it out rather transparently.

8) Undo seems to make the whole program flicker out of existance or a split second.
    Need you to expand on that one. I didn't see any weirdness when I was doing all of the "Undo" checks. Are you on a Mac? Because I'm testing on a PC - although I haven't heard on any specific Mac issues other than the Help Update not working (which is addressed on the Flash support site).

9) Saving via "Save As" kicks you out of any editting in progress and returns you to the main timeline.
    Just tried exactly that and did not experience that problem. Trust me, I don't have some secret "Macromedians only" build. The copy I'm running was downloaded right off of the public trial site. This may be specific to your environment (which many bugs and issues often are).

10) Controller toolbar can't be docked under drawing tools anymore. Rather it will only dock next to it removing more horizontal work space.
    Bing! I think you found a bug. That is kind of weird. Probably just an oversight that no-one ever thought to check. Unfortunately, you may have to live with that one. ;- )

11) Lack of scrollbar component (only scrollpane is left)

True there isn't a scrollbar components, but we instead included the "TextArea" component, which automatially shows a scrollbar if there is sufficient text for scrolling. We probably figured the only thing you would have used the old scrollbar component for was scrolling text fields so we just removed one step for you.

12) Theme system is painful to use. Was much easier to just edit the component in the library.

Huh? Are you referring to skinning components? Or is there a new feature that I don't know about?

13) Timeline effects pointless and harder to implement than just tweening by hand (esp simple fades and wipes.)

Well, I wouldn't say they're "pointless" because if they were we wouldn't have added the feature. They work. Do they do things the way you like to do them? Probably not. So don't use them.

Do they make it really quick and easy for someone who's never used Flash before to make an animation? Absolutely. And that's why the feature is there. You'd be surprised at how many new users are added with each release. It's always been a challenge for us to make the tool much easier and quicker to get productive for new users. Timeline effects and Behaviors were a major step in that direction. Are they perfect? No. But we can expect the feature to continue to evolve.

14) Sporadic compatibility issues with previous FLA versions such as text problems, script problems, or no openning at all.

Yeah, I've been reading that in different forums. I'm not yet sure why certain things are happening, but definitely check our support site regularly to see if there's a technote.

I'm too tired to go on so if I find more I'll post again. In the mean time lets here from all of you. And remember, keep it a civil, purely technical list. We're all professionals, lets act that way.

Mark
    Well put, Mark.

Please, I invite everyone to keep posting their questions/issues in this same way. I'm happy to help shed some light on things and will relay everything back to the product team.

Regards,
    MD

I haven't really worked with the new version just downloaded a trial and went through the help files.

I don't like the rigid stage. Nothing can be moved around any more. That was really convenient with earlier versions.

Also AS2 is new for me. I can say I know AS1 pretty well and I made some components for MM. It would be nice if MM had a tutorial incorporated in the help file with a script for a movie showing incorporation of AS2 syntax in a script and how AS1 and AS2 can be used together.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Flash Product Manager
    Originally posted by cancerinform
    I don't like the rigid stage. Nothing can be moved around any more. That was really convenient with earlier versions.
    Not sure what you mean. I can move the stage around with the grabber tool (hold down space bar). Can you explain?

Also AS2 is new for me. I can say I know AS1 pretty well and I made some components for MM. It would be nice if MM had a tutorial incorporated in the help file with a script for a movie showing incorporation of AS2 syntax in a script and how AS1 and AS2 can be used together.
    There is some decent documentation on AS2 in the app, but there are also a lot of articles and tuts going up on DevNet that should help you with this (http://www.macromedia.com/devnet).

I may also consider doing a seminar on AS 2.0 for On Demand.

MD

Thanks for the information on AS2. Will the seminars be in SF?

Regarding the individual windows on stage I tried to move windows but couldn't. Just open or close them or make them bigger but I could not separate any window and move it. I ordered the new version today so I will try out on my computer, since I had to use a different one.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Nose Picker

Re: Re: Definitive Flash MX 2004 Bug and Complaint List

Originally posted by MikeDowney
    What type(s) of files? As a test I just imported to library the following file types (w/ the Windows version):
    - FLV (Not editable - which is normal b/c it's a video object)
    - SWF (Imported a pretty big SWF and got editable symbols as well as BMPs)
    - Quicktime Movie
    - PDF (All text remained editable w/ exception of logos that were brought in as PNGs)

First, I'm using a PC, Win2k, 700mhz (its a recession), 512m ram

Every time I import anything to the library and open it to edit it is not editable to a certain extent. This includes swf, ai, and pdf. I can't even highlight anything. However I now find that what I belive i did actually does happen, but I need to change the zoom level in order to see the results. That is until I break the object apart. Then its completely unmovable in anyway.

I totally understand with this one and expected this response from some. I think Normal Mode just wasn't going to work with the new improvements in ActionScript 2.0. It's not that we had an engineer glaring over his cubicle wall with an evil grin going "Wooo-ha-ha-ha, I'll just take their Normal Mode away!" ;-) We found that most experienced Flash users were probably going to be OK with transitioning to hand coding their scripts.

I think it is up to the user to deside who deep into scripting they want to dip. As an artists (not even a designer) I have script phobia and cant deel with exp mode. However, as an intelligent human being whos used this software for 4 years I don't need the hand holding of behaviors. I also think the preformatting of norm mode is a convenience to I dont have to hit the on function and the go hunting for the gotoandplay function. Its a major part of my work flow and its enough to stop my upgrade.

Hmm... Need some clarity on that one. The transform tool actually does have a rotate handle which you'll see if you move your cursor to the upper-right point of the shape. It should show a little rotate icon.

There are buttons on the drawing toolbar that appear when the tool is selected. It constrains the box to only one function. This is helpful when handles are too close and blend together. Skew button has been added. Rotate is gone.

Need more clarity on this one too. I just tried it in Flash MX and found that it was the same - didn't grey out when editing a symbol on stage. Doesn't seem to be any different in FLMX04.

I made a mistake on this one. I had a colored background and forgot that the stadge itself doesnt go pale.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just created a symbol, jumped back to the main stage, then re-opened the symbol, added more graphics, added some layers, made some more changes to the symbol, then jumped back out to the main stage again. Now I moved the graphic symbol around and drew a vector on the main stage (just to add something ot the history panel), and clicked "Ctrl-Z" (Undo) several times. You are correct that it did not undo any of the things I did inside the symbol. *However - I then double-clicked back into the symbol again (so now I'm inside the symbol) and THEN hit Undo and it undid each of the original steps one by one.

So it appears to me that each symbol maintains its own History. I think that's pretty cool, but like I said, there may be something I'm missing.

Thats not true for me. It seems on my version that the history is all merged into a single history. Now the act of entering editting mode is undoable, which is extremely bizzaar. So what happens is I cant undo something I did in a symbol without undoing everytthing before it in anyother symbols.

Need you to expand on that one. I didn't see any weirdness when I was doing all of the "Undo" checks. Are you on a Mac? Because I'm testing on a PC - although I haven't heard on any specific Mac issues other than the Help Update not working (which is addressed on the Flash support site).

Might be because I have a slow machine and the undo is accessing the side panel as well as undoing stuff. Major performance prob for me.

Just tried exactly that and did not experience that problem. Trust me, I don't have some secret "Macromedians only" build. The copy I'm running was downloaded right off of the public trial site. This may be specific to your environment (which many bugs and issues often are).

Sorry again, this only happens when saving down to Flash MX. Its annoying since I'm testing with the possibility to switch back to MX. I'm not ready to save as 2004.

Huh? Are you referring to skinning components? Or is there a new feature that I don't know about?

The theme based skinning of components using external flas. It seems really wierd to me and i'm still not sure how to use it.

Well, I wouldn't say they're "pointless" because if they were we wouldn't have added the feature. They work. Do they do things the way you like to do them? Probably not. So don't use them.

I find there are major performance issues in applying these effects and they really dont accomplish a very refined effect. It seems slapped on, and of course it fills more space on my drive. Its also an example of dumbing down somethings and majorly advancing others while ignoring to middle of the road user.

Yeah, I've been reading that in different forums. I'm not yet sure why certain things are happening, but definitely check our support site regularly to see if there's a technote.

I think this kind of thing cant be brushed off easily. The old file import is obviously not a huge disaster, but its buggy enough to alienate you core buyers, the professional veteran. This should have been the highest priority in bug control and in doesnt feel like it was. No one wants even a single member of their portfolio to be made useless.

Mike

Issue:

Backwards compatibility, What happen to it?
    Will MM address this problem?

Will MM make a conversion program so
    we can use FLA's created in Flash 5?

I have tried to convert my work into Flash MX just like others have suggested and then open them in MX 2004 but still doesn't work.

I read you notes on a possible system conflict with other running software and looked into it but was unablle to find any conflicts.

Can you enlighten us on this?
    Best regards
    Toby Mack

For the best and funniest Audio Blog on the Internet come visit:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/Fla****UpBlog

I just made a thread with regards to constructive criticism for FlashMX2004, just deleated it after seeing this one made, here's the copy & paste:

"FMX2004 Pros/Cons" - constructive suggestions
    Well to make things more constructive instead of just seeing complaints & flames in these forums, lets get constructive and list some of the removed features that people want back, and what kind of errors or bugs that MM should fix or possibly adjust for their next release or patch (if they ever release one). And I hope they take their time in reading this, as this would be some good user-input about this latest release:

Excellent Features & Additions:

- More CSS, HTML, and XML capabilities
    - ActionScripting has become a whole lot more dynamic
    - New v2 Components
    - enchanced user-interface

These above features are my favs, and Im sure theres more that I forgot to mention, but now here's some of these certain issues I've run into that I know for a fact, aren't "bullsh!@ complaints" and these people have experienced these problems, so lets not blow-off other peoples issues, and lets post a constructive list of removed features & possible errors or bugs that Im sure both us & MM would love to get solved:

Experienced Issues & Problems:

- backwards-compatibility with Flash 5 & Flash MX files - "Unexpected File Format"
    - Scroll-Bar Component - where did it go ?!?!?

All in all, Flash MX 2004 in my opinion is a regular release, with its share of amazing new features & also with its fair share of error issues & taken out features. And by the way, these issues haven't stopped me from using FMX2004, but regardless I still find myself using the regular flash MX 80% of my time, as I can't even open my previous Flash MX files in FMX2004 Professional (which includes this brand new flash UI design i just made, but which I can't open).

My Specs:

Dell Inspiron 8200
    2.4 ghz P4
    512 RAM
    60 gigs
    Windows XP Pro
    ATI 64-meg Radeon 9000
    Last edited by TRJNET; 09-24-2003 at 12:38 AM.
    consultant / contractor / designer

i loved this ability which seems not to be available in mx 2004 and that ability is to right-click on objects or frames to access the action script panel.
    just sucks having to look for the as panel everytime you want to make or edit some actions.

i dock certain panels say for example the library panel where all the other panels are docked in a certain order that best suits me.
    i save then close my fla file.
    when i reopen that particular fla file i have to rearrange the docking panels to how i wanted it from before.

those are my only complaints

my specs:

win 2000 pro
    2 gig ddr
    1.4 athlon t bird
    nvidia 4600 ti
    soundblaster live audigy 5.1
    Last edited by nubian niht; 09-23-2003 at 11:51 PM.

Originally posted by TRJNET
    I just made a thread with regards to constructive criticism for FlashMX2004, just deleated it after seeing this one made, here's the copy & paste:

"FMX2004 Pros/Cons" - constructive suggestions
    Well to make things more constructive instead of just seeing complaints & flames in these forums, lets get constructive and list some of the removed features that people want back, and what kind of errors or bugs that MM should fix or possibly adjust for their next release or patch (if they ever release one). And I hope they take their time in reading this, as this would be some good user-input about this latest release:

Excellent Features & Additions:

- New v2 Components

These above features are my favs, and Im sure theres more that I forgot to mention, but now here's some of these certain issues I've run into that I know for a fact, aren't "bullsh!@ complaints" and these people have experienced these problems, so lets not blow-off other peoples issues, and lets post a constructive list of removed features & possible errors or bugs that Im sure both us & MM would love to get solved:

- backwards-compatibility with Flash 5 & Flash MX files - "Unexpected File Format"

All in all, Flash MX 2004 in my opinion is a regular release, with its share of amazing new features & also with its fair share of error issues & taken out features. And by the way, these issues haven't stopped me from using FMX2004, but regardless I still find myself using the regular flash MX 80% of my time, as I can't even open my previous Flash MX files in FMX2004 Professional (which includes this brand new flash UI design i just made, but which I can't open).

My Specs:

Dell Inspiron 8200
    2.4 ghz P4
    512 RAM
    60 gigs
    Windows XP Pro
    seems like you may have a cracked version of mx 2004 if you are getting that "unexpected file format" error

A few more...

15) strict syntaxing...

var X:Numer = 3;
    Str = "Hello";
    X = Str;

... no error is produced, X contains now contains a string value.

16) Bitmap images still shift, serveral versions to MX2004.

17) Alpha 0 shows a ghost image when should be invisible.
    Mainly visible on 16 bit displays, serveral versions to MX2004.

18) Vertical Scroll disappears from the timeline. Have to reopen
    the fla to get it back. Does this also in MX.

19) Aliased pixel fonts shift. Haven't seen this myself.

20) Timeline effects are slow to open and execute there functions.

21) Changes to .as window is not seen until you save all vs.
    coding directly in the fla which see it without needing to
    constantly save. No idication that changes aren't included.

22) Ctrl+Enter does not work from an .as window. I'm dieing here
    combined with #21 also having to remember to save.

23) Lack of complete documentation for AS2 and new features.
    (Mike, I'm at home will see tomorrow if the update corrects this.)

24) Client feedback that on Netscape a this._visible=false; on any
    frame 1 gets ignored. MX does this too btw.

---

Mike about the undo problem...

However - I then double-clicked back into the symbol again (so now I'm inside the symbol) and THEN hit Undo and it undid each of the original steps one by one.

I have been unable to do the type of undo you describe.
    As you said, yes EACH symbol should retain their own undo list
    as they do in MX. Yes VERY COOL and relied more often be me
    than any other single feature.

I draw a circle on stage. Double click it, F8 to convert to a
    Movieclip. Double click to go inside, drag an edge to make a test change.
    Go back out to the main timeline. Double click this symbol and go
    back inside it. Try to undo. Poof... nothing.

Chris
    http://www.**********-dms.com

Flash Product Manager
    I'll try and reply to each of these one at a time - but be sure to read each post as I don't want to answer the same question twice.

Originally posted by TRJNET
    - New v2 Components
    Support for external CSS is a huge new feature in FLMX04. I doubt most people have even discovered it yet. I can use the same CSS file that I use w/ my HTML (for text formatting only) in my Flash movies to maintain a more consistent look and feel. Each TextField object has a "StyleSheet" Class and a "setStyle()" method.

AS 2.0 is AWESOME! Especially if you have any programming/scripting background. I think it will take a while for a lot of experienced Flash developers to really discover what's possible w/ AS 2.0, but I guarantee it's great.

The v2 components are a huge step forward. There were monumental changes made to the component architecture. Each component is now a real object. They're also standalone files (.swc) that can be found in [root]\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash MX 2004\en\First Run\UI Components\. Check them out!

And yes, I agree, the new UI is very appealing. Although it has taken me a little while to figure out where some things moved to.
    The backwards compatibility issue is an isolated one that is not affecting everyone. I'm still looking into the specifics with our tech support team and will post an update ASAP. I don't have any Flash 5 FLAs any more, but I just opened several Flash MX FLAs w/out a problem on my machine.

I addressed the scrollbar component question in a post above, but in a nutshell, it's replaced by the TextArea component. In my opinion, it's just as well because I only used the scrollbar component w/ textfields anyway.

Regards,
    MD

Flash Product Manager
    Originally posted by nubian niht
    i loved this ability which seems not to be available in mx 2004 and that ability is to right-click on objects or frames to access the action script panel.
    just sucks having to look for the as panel everytime you want to make or edit some actions.
    Well, everyone has their own workflow preferences, but I've ALWAYS used the "F9" key to pull up the Actions panel. It seems to me to be the fastest way. I'd recommend trying it out.
    I dock certain panels say for example the library panel where all the other panels are docked in a certain order that best suits me.
    i save then close my fla file.
    when i reopen that particular fla file i have to rearrange the docking panels to how i wanted it from before.
    You should be able to arrange all of your panels, go to: Window > Save Panel Layout...
    Give your layout a name and you shouldn't have this problem any more.

Regards,
    MD

Flash Product Manager
    Originally posted by nubian niht
    seems like you may have a cracked version of mx 2004 if you are getting that "unexpected file format" error
    Well, I hadn't thought of that but it is possible. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but try installing the 30-day trial on your machine and see if you still have the problem.

By the way, new with the MX 2004 tools, the trial editions can actually be unlocked when you purchase your serial number. You no longer need to uninstall the trial, download the full version and reinstall.

Good stuff!

Regards,
    MD

PS - DON'T STEAL SOFTWARE!!! AND IF YOU DO, DON'T FREAKIN' COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!! :- )

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of stealing software...

Nose Picker

The backwards compatibility issue is an isolated one that is not affecting everyone. I'm still looking into the specifics with our tech support team and will post an update ASAP. I don't have any Flash 5 FLAs any more, but I just opened several Flash MX FLAs w/out a problem on my machine.
    Have you tried publishing them? Nearly every MX file I publish with text in it give me errors that don't appear in MX. Often it tells me a font is missing (untrue) and that outlines could not be created because of it.

Flash Product Manager
    Originally posted by FPChris
    15) strict syntaxing...
    var X:Numer = 3;
    Str = "Hello";
    X = Str;
    ... no error is produced, X contains now contains a string value.
    If you follow the guidelines Flash will throw an error ->
    Code:
    var num:Number = 3;
    var str:String = "Hello";
    num = str;
    Throws this error:
    Type mismatch in assignment statement: found String where Number is required.
    num = str;

Am I missing something?

16) Bitmap images still shift, serveral versions to MX2004.
    What do you mean by "several versions to MX2004?" I'd have to see an example. This would more likely be a player issue than an authoring tool issue.

17) Alpha 0 shows a ghost image when should be invisible.
    Mainly visible on 16 bit displays, serveral versions to MX2004.
    Again, I don't know what you mean by "several versions to MX2004", but, I can't reproduce this problem. You may want to check the minimum system requirements for running FLMX04. I just set a BMP and a vector symbol to Alpha = 0 and it went invisible as it should.

18) Vertical Scroll disappears from the timeline. Have to reopen
    the fla to get it back. Does this also in MX.
    This is probably something specific to your environment. I'd definitely suggest contacting tech support about this (http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash)

19) Aliased pixel fonts shift. Haven't seen this myself.
    Me neither.

20) Timeline effects are slow to open and execute there functions.
    This can definitely involve your hardware specs, but I'm running a pretty fast machine and have found timeline effects to be a little slow sometimes - but we're talking 1 - 3 seconds here... Doesn't bother me because I don't use them unless I'm demonstrating them to a customer.

21) Changes to .as window is not seen until you save all vs.
    coding directly in the fla which see it without needing to
    constantly save. No idication that changes aren't included.
    I don't know what you mean. Are you referring to working with external .as files? And when you say "changes" do you mean the testing the FLA in the authoring environment doesn't reflect any changes made to the .as file until you've saved that .as file? If that's the case, welcome to IDEs. I can't imagine a workable alternative. It's not like clicking File > Save All before you test is hard... But correct me if I'm missing something...

22) Ctrl+Enter does not work from an .as window. I'm dieing here
    combined with #21 also having to remember to save.
    So you're saying you want to compile an .as file to test it? That's not the way .as files work. They're included at publish time in the published swf so you need to save your .as file then test the FLA file that's including it. I agree that it can be a little annoying to save one file then test in another, but it's not that uncommon.

23) Lack of complete documentation for AS2 and new features.
    (Mike, I'm at home will see tomorrow if the update corrects this.)
    Yeah, I'll admit, the docs were not 100% complete at ship, but that's why we put the "Update" button prominently in the AS window. If it's not complete as of today, it will be shortly (and I have no idea whether it is or not).

24) Client feedback that on Netscape a this._visible=false; on any
    frame 1 gets ignored. MX does this too btw.
    Well, I'm not sure why you're setting the _root's "_visible" property to false, but in any case, I just tested it in NS7.0 doing just that and it worked fine - locally. I haven't tried uploading the swf to my web server, but I'm 99% sure that would work as well. You might want to look into that one.
    Mike about the undo problem...

I have been unable to do the type of undo you describe.
    As you said, yes EACH symbol should retain their own undo list
    as they do in MX. Yes VERY COOL and relied more often be me
    than any other single feature.

I draw a circle on stage. Double click it, F8 to convert to a
    Movieclip. Double click to go inside, drag an edge to make a test change.
    Go back out to the main timeline. Double click this symbol and go
    back inside it. Try to undo. Poof... nothing.
    OK, I'll eat humble pie for this one. When I first read your comment I was like, "What! Come on!" then I started to doubt myself and went back and tested it again. Turns out the first time I had tested it I was accidentally using Flash MX - not MX04. I had launched MX to test a different reported problem and forgot to switch back.

So, my take is that since the History panel is new (and gives you a ton of new possibilities) - including separate "Undo" for each symbol either didn't make the schedule, or there was some technical limitation to it. Either way, it now appears to me that you are correct. You can still undo everything step by step, but it doesn't include separate symbol histories.

Regards,
    MD

Flash Product Manager
    Originally posted by Mark2k
    Have you tried publishing them? Nearly every MX file I publish with text in it give me errors that don't appear in MX. Often it tells me a font is missing (untrue) and that outlines could not be created because of it.
    Send me a file and I'll look into it.

mdowney@macromedia.com

Regards,
    MD

Well, I hadn't thought of that but it is possible. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but try installing the 30-day trial on your machine and see if you still have the problem.

By the way, new with the MX 2004 tools, the trial editions can actually be unlocked when you purchase your serial number. You no longer need to uninstall the trial, download the full version and reinstall.

Good stuff!

Regards,
    MD

PS - DON'T STEAL SOFTWARE!!! AND IF YOU DO, DON'T FREAKIN' COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!! :- )

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of stealing software...
    i support all software developers.
    i run an after school computer program for juvenile kids and my program funded by the stated allows me to purchase the necessary software for my youth center.
    i never even knew of flash mx 2004.
    ironically flash mx 2004 came to my attention when a youth approached me about an issue on why he couldn't import his old flash mx files that he had saved on one of the centers computers into the new flash mx 2004 which he downloaded along with some cracking software from gawd knows where.
    it was generating the that error stated above.

i ordered the youth to remove the illegal software from the pc and use the trial version that was available from macromedias website till then i promised this youth that i’ll put in a request to purchase the new flash mx 2004 for my center.
    now the “unexpected file format” did not exist when trying to import old flash mx fla into flash 2004 mx.

that evening i downloaded the trial.
    since yesterday being my day off i decided to give this new flash 2004 a whirl.
    i was a bit skeptical on importing my flash mx files into 2004 but i had no problems importing.
    i was a bit overwhelmed with this new flash mx 2004.
    i’ve been going through brain farts all day as you may see with with my latest posts requesting obvious help with 2004.

i'm not calling anyone a theif.
    the reason i said that the software may be a cracked one is due to my experience. so i can only come to that conclusion.
    i witness this error and realized it doesn’t give you that error if you use the trial version.

it's tough trying to monitor / maintain over 40 pc’s and macs.

regards,
    nub
    Last edited by nubian niht; 09-24-2003 at 01:15 PM.

Flash Product Manager
    Thanks nub, I appreciate the feedback. It's very useful.

Regards,
    MD

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    we also have a list going on over at Kirupa

http://www.kirupaforum.com/forums/sh...threadid=34107