A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Flash MX 2004 Bug and Complaint List

To get foreign languages displayed properly in MX and MX2004 DO not embed any characters. Just create a text in an texteditor with the foreign language and save in unicode and load the text using LoadVars or load XML if it is in XML. That's it.

Ich kann dir heute Abend ein Beispiel senden.

Here is actually an example in Czech

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=512282
    Last edited by cancerinform; 12-02-2003 at 02:14 PM.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

danke cancerinform!

i already had a look at the thread you posted.

but what about text for buttons or other small snippets that need to be controlled by AS?

furthermore i like to use formatted text in my sites like: http://www.renatehattinger.com

look at the sections "biografie" and "ausstellungen"...
    the way i have solved this so far is to create a movieclip on my main timeline and populate that with text html-formatted within the flash environment. at runtime these formatted texts are then copied to their respective destinations. another advantage with this kind of approach is that i have only 1 file to worry about instead several (o.k. in this case there are only 2 texts ....)

i would still be interested if you have any solution on how i can load formatted text? then i could just have the client do the updating

nonetheless i would still consider this to be some kind of bug - or at least an unneccessary oversight by macromedia.
    don't you think so?

Bryan.fury,

dies ist fuer dich.

Just add the foreign text in the flash file as I did. No embedding. I have Mac OS X panther, which supports all the languages and I just write in the language I want. Soon I will publish a tutorial on this on my new site (about 2 weeks).

If you want to format text just format the unicode text as usual, even xml is no problem. I also used stylesheets for foreign text in unicode and it works.

Ok,

I know this is a complain thread but I just discovered something in MX2004 (I don't know that also works in MX though), which made my life much easier.

I was working on a graph from microsoft excel, which I had transferred to power point. From my old power point I was used that I am asked to convert such pic into a power point object. Then everything was fine and I could remodel the graph. This does not work any more in the new MS Office. It was a pain in the b@# to align and work with the imported graph. So I thought I copy and paste it in Flash, because I like the drawing tools in Flash. To my surprise the graph consisted of different elements, which I could nicely and easily change by just clicking on each element like a symbol. Interestingly, these are not symbols but not groups. To work with it leave it as a group and click on each group and make changes.

My day us definitely saved.

I have Office for OS X (mac)

hi cancerinform,

in order not to hijack this thread, i started a new dedicated thread about the *formatted text thing* over here

maybe you'd like to come and join the party?

I have MX 2004 regular and today I called MM if I could get the 2004pro version for the difference ($100, since I paid $199 for upgrade). I had originally registered my version and the serial number matched my name, when I gave the number, so no cheating was possible. Although if originally I had purchased that version I would have paid a total of $299, they refused. The only offer I got was to purchase it for 50% of the price, which is $149 and this would mean $50 loss. I refused, because I don't think this is a reasonable way to treat customers especially since I have contributed with several (4 of 5 stars) components to the MM exchange. I have to say that I am disappointed by MM because of that business practice.

I have MX 2004 (standard) on Windows XP, and MX version 1.0 on Mac OSX.

I've noticed some things that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Where's the Rewind in Behaviors > Embedded Video > ...? I was following the tutorial and the option to add a Rewind command to the Rewind button just doesn't exist.

2. In my OSX MX I have come to rely upon having the AS Reference Pane docked underneath my AS window. Then I can click the little book icon in the AS panel and the reference is displayed below. In 2004, there isn't a separate Reference manual in its own pane anymore. All the documentation is in the help and I get really confused trying to find what I'm looking for in there. I only want AS help, not all the documentation.

3. MX let me use suffixes on components to trigger code hints. I can't get that to work anymore in 2004. Great saddness.

4. I tried creating in 2004 something that I have from a tutorial for MX. Real simple with a couple of textfields, a push button, a listbox and a chart (from the charting components.) Doesn't work at all in MX 2004, even if I export it as Flash 6 and AS 1. Trying to figure out why, I see that the list box component doesn't have the same methods and properties at all as previously. It's so hard to learn this stuff and such drastic changes are really disconcerting to an unseasoned programmer/dabbler like me.

5. I find it quite confusing that there is a Button object (the ones you make yourself), a Button component and a PushButton component. What's the difference between a Button component and a PushButton? And why no documentation on the PushButton actions/methods/properties in the AS pane?

6. When going through a tutorial that has you making a wheel spin, I was shocked when instead of the standard Windows dialog box or whatever, this wierd window with really light gray text that looks like an swf of its own pops up. I'm supposed to use this window for entering data for the rotation. It's a little hard to read in that light gray, and a bit of a surprise since it doesn't match anything else I've seen in the UI.

7. I do like the UI of 2004 (compared to version 5). Things aren't laying on top of other things as much.

8. I do think AS 2 is good. Strictly-typed and all that. But it'll be harder for regular web designers to make that leap from javascript to actionscript. I know the behaviors panel is supposed to take care of that, but I prefer to write all the code myself so that I can learn. In other words, just as I'm starting to "get it" there's another one of those big changes that requires me to pretty much start all over again.
    Diane

To No 4:
    I don't know exactly what you did but the reason why it may not work is that MX components like listbox are not any more valid in MX2004 and you have to use the new 2004 components.

I have run into a problem when using a sound object and linkage.

If the sound object calls for a linked file and doesn;t find the file, it uses the last used file.

For example:

sound1 linked as sound1 is called by sound object A and plays fine. On the next frame, sound object A calls for sound2, but doesn't find sound2. At this point sound object A plays sound1.

This may not be a bug, but I would rather have the sound object play nothing if it can't find the called file.

Thanks.

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

Small bug, but fixing it would be a big help:

The mouse wheel no longer works for scrolling up and down the actionscript panels.

Apart from that, well done macromedia i love flash.

Found a way around the lack of rewind behavior

It's kind of a pain that the behaviors panel doesn't have a rewind option for Embedded Video even though the tutorial leads you to believe that it does.

However, I played around with learning more about video and found the NetStream object, which is VERY handy for controlling videos. I've never done video before, so maybe it was already there. In any case, I can do pretty much whatever I want with that, including rewind, and maybe I'll be able to impress our eLearning group in my presentation this week.

In the process I've come to see a lot of little improvements here and there. This version of Flash is pretty darn good.

I'm still not going to upgrade from MX for my personal use, though. It's just too much of a pain always relearning everything over and over (and having all my expensive books now be out of date) with every upgrade. Also, it is a HUGE pain that my previous work will not work in the new version. It's an every HUGER pain that all the cool free components out there no longer work in this version, too.

I'll let a few more versions go by before I upgrade again. I just don't make enough money to keep up.
    Diane

Some Flash MX 2004 Pro thoughts and issues

Hi:

Thought I'd chime in with a note that I've also experienced the issue with the disappearing vertical scroll bar on the timeline. It seems to happen when I resize the height of the timeline area, and I've seen it in both Flash MX and Flash MX 2004.

I paid the extra 100 bucks for the Flash MX 2004 Pro upgrade, even though I knew it would take me a while to really leverage the new features (esp. data connectivity options -- still looking for a good online tutorial for this).

One thing that I was excited about was the "Screens" feature in Pro, which, among other things, seems to be primed to be a Power Point-killer. I decided to see if I could use Screens to save some production time on producing a friend's portfolio, and initially, my experience was favorable: It was easy to maintain common elements between different areas of focus, and it had a fairly straightforward interface for dropping in components and linking behaviors to them.

The problem was that many of the behaviors and transitions didn't work as expected. Maybe I'm missing something, but placing a Screen/Go to Slide behavior on a button and choosing the target in the pop-up wizard yields the following ActionScript errors:

**Error** Screen=Gallery2, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 42: ')' expected
    if((this.sadlerstart.Gallery1.1Photo1 != undefined) && (this.sadlerstart.Gallery1.1Photo1 != null))

**Error** Screen=Gallery2, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 59: ')' or ',' expected
    screen.gotoSlide(this.sadlerstart.Gallery1.1Photo1 );

**Error** Screen=Gallery2, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 43: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler
    {

**Error** Screen=Gallery2, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 61: Unexpected '}' encountered
    }

Total ActionScript Errors: 4 Reported Errors: 4

This is all Flash-generated Actionscript ... The problem seems to change depending on which level of Screen I target in the Go To Slide behavior wizard.

Also, the text inside the button to which this behavior was applied disappeared on playback (CTRL-Enter).

I ended up giving up on the Screens for this project and pounded out the portfolio using the standard interface.

I just had only two problem. When I save the file or publish it sometimes either freezes or the scrollbar which scrolls through all the layers disappears (often something else disappears instead) and the only way to get it back is to close out the file and reload it.

Other complaint is that I cant edit imported gif / jpeg / bmp files. I try eraser to erase unwanted parts of it that does nothing they are uneditable.

MikeDowney you need to listen and not hear.

Mike I admire your skills and knowledge but your hearing things from Flash designers about how we do not like MX04 and your suggesting everything except what we want. We want Normal Action Script mode in MX04!

Its simple... Bring back the Normal Action Script editor feature and let the expert option also be there for AS programmers.. I'm not going to repeat why designers like using Normal mode but instead tell you there is no other solution except to bring back Normal mode. So if Macromedia wants to make Flash efficient for designers like it was primarily developed for they should LISTEN to what we want and produce want we want, not suggest or make some variation or similar feature to what we really want. You make what we want or you dont. You make what we want and we buy your software, you make some crap AS editor in MX04 just for programmers, your killing more than half of your market because theres many more designers who use flash than programmers.

The point is simple. Macromedia, you can bring back Normal Action Script editor as a patch for MX04 or hopefully in Flash 8, Or you just ignore us. Its Yes or No.. Theres no alternative...

I Hope that Macromedia will actually listen to us designers and make what we want and not tell us what we want.

same here

i'm also very aggrivated with the omission of the normal view. i think the problem is also at the global level as well as the individual. imagine designers (sorry not coders), who share files within the office and among different agencies. we would desire the most up-to-date versions to be able to open any files which are passed around. so imagine the huge road block when designers stick with version mx while all developers used mx04--it becomes a huge nightmare.

designers are used to getting the job done with the least programming fuss. sure, we can learn a thing or two about actionscripting, but if we are not full-time flash designers and do not keep up with the workflow, we tend to forget these things rather easily. we're just too busy learning other design tasks, trends, and other layout/image softwares and upgrades.

the idea which many DO agree on, is that the inclusion of the "normal view" does not hurt the software, and that's what SHOULD have been done.

What they should have done was left the damn undo alone.

Chris
    http://www.**********-dms.com

Here is some problem I have encountered a few times now. I heard also from somebody else a similar thing.

I creat some actionscript and test my movie and it works fine. Then I save, open the movie again and it does not work any more. Why? Because I think from the beginning the code may not have been quite acurate. But I don't understand why in the first hand it worked. Any similar experiences?

An example was _root.clip1._visible=false;

_root.clip1 is derived from a duplicateMovieclip so it is virtual. But initially it disappeared. Later I had to find a diffrent method.

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.

Debugging AS files

I find it strange that no one mentioned this.

You can't place breakpoints in an .as file.

I don't want to have to start debugging, drop the file combobox down and set a breakpoint in a class file everytime I want to debug. It's completely ridiculous.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

I was foolish enough to have purchased 2004....Now i want my moola back.

Does Macro.. run ANY usability tests on thier interfaces before sending things out?

Do something as simple as this, use the box tool to create a square or something, make it a symbol, with the registration point the top left corner of the object.

Now try to scale it using the scaling tool..hmm what happens? It ALWAYS scales from the center of the object!!!!, it no longer uses the objects registration point as the scale anchor..STUPIDDDDDDD

And if you have created an object, oh look, you now have a lock box on the dimensions that always defaults to locked, so if you want to resize the object by the numbers, you have to uncheck the lock box before entering the digits, otherwise it constrains the proportions. STUPIDDDD

Actionscript STILL sucks
    your developers don't use a unified structure for method value assignment or action.... sometimes the object that is acted upon is in the arguments and sometimes it ain't, sometimes it works either way, sometimes it doesn't.....

reference docs are still not up to snuff and neither is your code hints, see what happens with TextField.Autosize as opposed to textField.autosize....

I swear flash is becoming the house of cards, and macromedia keeps trying to add a concrete layer on top....
    little googly goblins...

Here is a problem, which should be fixed by MM one way or another. I often get fla files for fixing, which were originally Flash5 or 6 files but then have been saved as Flash MX 2004 (7) files. Users think these are now Flash 7 files. WRONG: They are not. Just check the publish settings which are still old. The only way to convert this to a Flash7 file is to change the publish settings or to copy and paste all frames (which cleans up a movie too ) and save it as Flash 7.
    MM should either change this that when an older movie is saved as Flash 7 that the settings and so on change too or they should write a comment how to do it.