A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: music size

music size

hey,

I have 3 songs that i want to put on my website, i downloaded the songs from a CD. Each song is well over 150MB. But, i used this music editing program to reduce the size to like 4MB. But i think 4MB is still a lot. Is there a way I can reduce the size even more? I remember a friend telling me to cut it down to like 1 verse and have it loop. I don't know what he meant by that.

Baljinder

For a song to be 150 mb it has to be over 10 minutes long.

Flash can compress the music further ( MP3 ). You can cuti it to half just by making it mono also. I usually save as 48kbps, MP3 , mono from Flash. Then even modem user can listen to the song right away ( streaming ).

You dont mention what format you save your music as so I can not tell really if thats good or not. Generally a MP3 song is 1 mb / minute when saved as 128kbps in stereo.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

do you think it would help if i break the 8min. song song into small little songs and then put those small little songs into a layer?

The filesize would be the same.

But if you use the streaming option in Flash the song will start to play instantly and play the whole 8 min if the users banwidht is good enough.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

Musician/Sound Engineer
    It really depends on what you need the song to do. Meaning, do you really need the whole song (8 min)??
    Or, can you get away with using just the intro, verse and a chorus?
    You could only use a certain amount of the song to get the point across and then loop it again.
    There are two advantages to this method...
    1)Cuts the file size way down, thats a good thing.
    2)If you don't own 'audio editing software', looping only one section of music is much easier than trying to sync-up a bunch of small sections of a song.(like you were talking about)

If you want a 'seamless' loop, I would do as little as possible to the song.

Mike

oh, i see.

so if i decied to use like 4-5mins. and have the song be like 2.5MB, and i don't have a preloader, i have it streaming, and mono, so it would start playing instantly on say a dial-up connection? wouldn't the song lag if it starts playing instantly on a dial-up without preloading? So if i set it to streaming, would it be better to have a preloader if you are using a dial-up connection?

and 1 last question. Should i put the song onto a layer of "song1.swf" and then use the on release code to load the "song1.swf" movie into my main movie OR should i actually make "music buttons"? Which 1 would work better for low speed internet connections?

btw: i have a cable modem/

Baljinder

Your song could be 1000 mb and still stream perfectly. It is the bitrate ( not the filesize ) that is important. The bitrate determines how many kb / second is needed to hear the song stream. 48kbps mono would be enough for modem users.

( Streaming in this sense is called prograssive download ( Flash plays what is loaded at the moment )).

Having a separate swf is good, as it is loaded only when needed. If you want to use a higher bitrate for better quality you can preload a part of the song so you'll have a buffer to compensate for slow connections.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog

oh wow, Now i get it. Lol, i that the only thing that was important when looking at music was size. so I set the birate to like 8 or 16kb/sec. then the music would stream faster with dial-up users? and setting it to 8 or 16, that would also reduce the quality, right?

Yes, that IS the quality setting.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog