A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site Check Please

Site Check Please

Hi.

I have a site I have been working on for the last month when time allows. It is made with SWISH2 and is about 50% Complete.

I am looking for feedback on functionality, performance and over all appeal.

http://www.amuseaz.com

Thanks.
    Paul

you mean swish2 navigation bar?... only?

T H E | E X T R A T E R R E S T R I A L | F L Y
    _______________________________________|

eveningtidemusic.com tristankelley's Avatar
    Have you been designing long? No offense but your site looks really dated (like early/mid 90's).

Try picking a color scheme and sticking with it. There are like 8 unrelated colors in your header/navagation alone.

Also, always have the full navigation up. One button with just the option to go to a previous page is annoying, besides web browsers (IE, Netscape, etc) already have that feature built in.

anyone else...

thank u for your comments

Am I too harsh [D]e_LeTe[GR]?

? | nop!

Originally posted by tristankelley
    Have you been designing long? No offense but your site looks really dated (like early/mid 90's).

Try picking a color scheme and sticking with it. There are like 8 unrelated colors in your header/navagation alone.

Also, always have the full navigation up. One button with just the option to go to a previous page is annoying, besides web browsers (IE, Netscape, etc) already have that feature built in.

anyone else...
    Hello,

No offense taken. This is why I posted it here to get a general consensus.

I would never have thought that it would be "dated". This is my real first Flash site. My strong area is unix admin.

The whole idea behind the color tabs were to kind of play on my industry of fun colorful products. I have been working with flash for about a month and html off and on for about 1.5 years. Nothing to major just enough to learn the basics and do my own site. I am always looking to improve!

I do agree with the full navigation and the single back arrow is a pain right now because swish 2 does not handle the history.back() properly. I have even posted in here at Flash Kit on the problem and no one could help me. I think I will remove the back arrow. I was forced to use relative paths and that bugs me. I will need to rethink the layout for the menu items to be able to fit all pages. I am going to have several sub pages like under products, each category of products and so forth.

Basically all of the flash was created in SWISH 2. There are some areas that are HTML.

I am pondering doing the whole site in flash? Is this a good idea? I have my old site almost equal at 600x800 and 1024x768 resolution. I guess I should keep the design at 600x800.

I do not know if I like the effect in my interatcive pages for the mouse over on the images.

Is there a site you can refer me for the color scheme examples???

I am open to all input, GOOD AND BAD from everyone.

Cheers!

Paul

Here's a really in-depth article about how color works. I don't know if it well intrest you or not. Maybe check out section 5 entitled "Using Color Effectivly".

ergogero.com

Hope this helps.

who loves ya?
    the site feels discombobulated (sp?). you got your plasticky, 3d'ish banner, then you got your multi-color link buttons with some shadows, and then a plain white page with stuff. make the whole menu in flash. keep working with it, nobody starts out as a master flash designer except for me of course