A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: double input text fields (MX)

double input text fields (MX)

MACROMEDIA FLASH MX (flashplayer 6)

i want to make two input text fields. when u click the send button, it sends info from the two text fields to somewhere where i can keep it. plz help me out, i wouldnt think it'd be that hard, but i dunno. thanks

Hack
    If you put this action on your send button:

on(press) {
    this.loadVariables("receivingPage.asp","POST");
    }

That will send every variable on the same timeline as the button to the page specified. If your button is on the same timeline as the two input fields this will do what you want. POST will send it as form fields. GET will send it as parameters appended to the end of your URL.

What you do with the information once you send it out of flash... that's up to you.

alright, lets just take this one step at a time, lol. i havent done flash n a while...

i have two input text bars, for the user to put in info. the SEND button will send the info from both of the input texts to an external file or sumthing right? was that was the .asp was? does anyone have an .fla? or can someone go thru this slowly, it doesnt seem that hard especially after the brevity of erlenmeyer's post

say the first input box would be named alpha, and the second input box would be named beta, and i wanted to send this to a text file named charlie.

btw how would flash organize multiple inputs in the text file? ive never dealth w/ this b4 obviously?

link? tut? help plz

bump

dbl bump

Hack
    Sorry, flash can't save to text files -- at least not from a browser.

You have to have a server-side script do that, for security reasons. A page written in ASP, or PHP, or ColdFusion, or something like that.

Now if this is a local .swf file, on a CD-ROM or on someone's hard drive, you are allowed to save text files. I really haven't done this so I don't know the exact procedure, but I'm sure there are examples on this site.

Hack
    If you're using flash MX, there's a feature called the local shared object -- it's like a flash cookie that you can store values in, and then retrieve them later.

You might want to read up on that.