A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iggypop.com - By Kurt Noble

iggypop.com - By Kurt Noble

http://www.iggypop.com/

New one from Kurt Noble. Me likey.

hmm. kinda boring. kinda static. suppose it gets the job done and relays the message well though.
    maybe.

Wow - I am so incredibly disappointed in this site. This is the first Kurt Noble site I haven't liked. Did they spend about 4 minutes on this?

I don't have a problem with the static feel but it looks like they didn't even go back and check out their own work. Click the Tour Dates link--the font sucks and the color of it blends into the background - you can't even read it.

Really bad job. Sorry KNI - this is just really bad.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Wow, HTML eh?
    Lacks the design details in terms of
    layout graphics. The backgrounds are good,
    but the layout & text gets too simple
    and dull. It lacks the punch that other
    KN sites do.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

I loved the backgrounds, thats about it.

It could have been doen way better. But I kinda like some of it.

I like it.

However it's not quite worthy of a cool site.

cool,

Very cool random image intro,which is seemless with the HTML
    main site.Then the css overlayed backgrounds are pretty cool
    too. Nice site for iggy pop fans and promotes his new album well.

I don't see what's wrong with it?

Originally posted by friendly jesus
    cool,

Very cool random image intro,which is seemless with the HTML
    main site.Then the css overlayed backgrounds are pretty cool
    too. Nice site for iggy pop fans and promotes his new album well.

I don't see what's wrong with it?
    no, no, you dont understand FJ there are no flying UFO's, 4 meg preloaders, en 3D text swooshing in this site.

great site!

It's a classic html site. Click >full page refresh etc.

Nice but disjointed. Wrapped up in a full flash site I think it could've been better.

IMO

something is wrong... in their portfolio is different
    http://www.vectormedia.com.br
    Multimedia Designer

lol, lost something in the dranslation there,

sites not to bad, but not great.

Originally posted by rooney
    Nice but disjointed. Wrapped up in a full flash site I think it could've been better.
    I agree, it is really disjointed, the flash part is nice, but I'd rather they had kept the same throughout, either way html or flash.

Originally posted by hanratty21
    Wow - I am so incredibly disappointed in this site. This is the first Kurt Noble site I haven't liked. Did they spend about 4 minutes on this?

I don't have a problem with the static feel but it looks like they didn't even go back and check out their own work. Click the Tour Dates link--the font sucks and the color of it blends into the background - you can't even read it.

Really bad job. Sorry KNI - this is just really bad.

RH
    Just using this quote as an example. But did anyone think that this is the way the client wanted the site to be. Some times they want specifics and it doesn't matter what you think or not there the boss. If you want to rate a designer my opinion is that you should rate him on work he does for himself because thats how you will see the designer really design.
    flash the planet

Originally posted by Divine Media
    Just using this quote as an example. But did anyone think that this is the way the client wanted the site to be. Some times they want specifics and it doesn't matter what you think or not there the boss. If you want to rate a designer my opinion is that you should rate him on work he does for himself because thats how you will see the designer really design.
    I think it's hard to say, personally I think the best way to judge a designer is by their client work, for me the definition of design is to meet a challenge of communication, to get a message across. It's hard to say when this becomes hobbled by the wishes of a client.

In this case I doubt it was much of a factor, they may have asked for a flash front page and HTML afterwards (maybe because they have someone who can update it on staff) but to me, though I like the site overall, I think it could have been improved by making the transition from one to the other better. It's certainly not bad, and on a hi-res screen I guess it's exaggerated, but it's disconcerting having it jump from the middle of the screen to the top left corner and the content layout seems to be an after-thought.

For this site the design 'challenge' (other than the more important challenge of creating a site that is 'iggy' which I think it is) was to make a flash front page that segues into a HTML site, and I just think that could have been done better. I don't think it sucks but it could have been a bit better irrespective of client or budget constraints imho.

I think when a designer does work for themselves it can be great or not so great, I think judging someone by their client work is a more consistent measure, though you have to keep an open mind and not dismiss someone because they do, for example, a lot of government work and can't put all sorts of funky graphics in and have to make the site viewable on any old broswer, the challenge is still there and how well they meet that challenge, irrespective of flashiness, is how good a designer they are in my opinion.

aversion, I agree with alot of your points like meeting a challenge is a big part of design but what if the challenge is designing down. Your clients vision is not always the same as yours. Alot of good points though and like we both said these are just opinions
    flash the planet

Originally posted by Divine Media
    aversion, I agree with alot of your points like meeting a challenge is a big part of design but what if the challenge is designing down. Your clients vision is not always the same as yours. Alot of good points though and like we both said these are just opinions
    yeah totally, I guess my thought is that good design includes overcoming the restrictions that might be placed on you, I understand that sometimes clients can go too far to make this possible.. I quit a project creating a site selling tv/radio advertising space online after the client came back from vegas insisting we put the music from a slot machine on the site because it makes people "feel good"... you certainly can't win all of them!

visually in design i think its great. i just don't think there was much of a point to do the front page in flash other than the background image animation. Im not too crazy about the type use on some of the html pages.

but i mean, if you are a fan of this guy, don't you think the site does the job pretty well? its fast loading, plain and obvious navigation, and has a nice visual identity. as for the disjointed thing, perhaps, but it took me half a second to realize the exact same navigation was at the top. because he kept the same navigation structure its very easy and fast to recognize.to me it felt like it flowed well.

it may not be the most flashy piece noble's done, but it works pretty damn well as a website.

imo the reason this site is a "let down" is.. it isnt what we expect from KNI. there are good things about the site but the potential for better is in all of our eyes. i know when i saw the post i was like "yes a new KNI site...inspiration". then i clicked the link and "damn". i believe aversion is right. maybe KNI had to tone it down for the client.i am hoping they posted the wrong version.

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    my guess is it's the client.

"Computers are nothing more than a perfect illusion of order".
    Iggy Pop

I've been a passive Iggy fan forever, I wouldn't be surprised if he said something to the effect of "screw your flashy trash, just put something up there to shut up the label. Here's a hundred bucks and some pics, go away!".

Just guessing.
    if (you expect help){
    then.help(others);
    }else{
    gotoAndCheck.aSite4.somePoorBastardinSiteChex;
    }