A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Design Consultants

Design Consultants

Is there such a thing as a design consultant? Someone who will come into your office and sit down with you and work on your design and media ventures and guide you into a better direction? We do not want someone to come in and actually desing things for us, we just want guidance (I want guidance!).

And if these people do exist, how do I find one in Sydney
    <:8O)~~~ RATS! they ate my footer! ~~(O8:>

What you are looking for is probably a brand consultant. A quick search on google for 'brand consultans sydney' found a few

The only one's I've ever seen/worked with/heard of are huge international agencies (and v. expensive), I'm not sure whether they exist on a local level too.

I'm not sure what the normal workflow is - they usually probably do the design. But they should definitely be able to sit down with you, look at your current brand position and work out where to go in future.

I've got to say that what you are involved in sounds very interesting (going from earlier thread too) - would be nice to hear how you're getting on...

- n.

Things are not bad. I have a new boss and she is bringing in some change - both good and bad, so I am hoping that some things in my role will improve.

I found some design consultants online (I must have been searching on the wrong thing!) but many seem very expensive - and I know that they will not want to spend a lot of money. She is going to see if some of her friends have some contacts.

We are planning on re-designing the entire brochure range for the company and while doing so, I think it is important to re-evaluate the whole image of the company. afterall, there is no point designing a stack of brochures if things could change 6 months down the track (which has been happening already).

We have three offices and 3 varieties of brochures. They are all the same, but one manager got the wrong colour printed and did not complain, then it was printed on wrong stock.. it is in the shambles... so I want to fix it up.

The main thing I want evaluated is the company logo. It has a lot of design flaws that make it impractical (though it is an ok logo).. I think it could be improved. The company is going to go through a small name change (the logo is of our product range - but the company is changing the name to the product because of brand recognition). I want some people to basically look at what marketing collateral we have and steer us in the right direction... our competitors are thrashing us in that department.

So right now I am researching my butt of trying to find pros and cons about corporate identity changes and logo redesigns and brochure redesigns...

thankyou for the interest!

What a potential nightmare - and how lucky they are to have you

I work for a huge multinational and you might be surprised - but the same problems exist here too.

A friend of mine works as a brand consultant actually - maybe she would be interested in some freelance work (based in London though) or might be able to discuss some issues. I'll check next time I see her.

IMO the crucial step is to move away from print/web/design ideas and work on the actual brand as an entirely separate entity. The design then implements the brand, rather than defining it. You develop a set of rules that define the brand ('young, dynamic, cutting-edge' etc) and from those rules you go on to develop a style-guide which is what any future design projects need to be based on. you prob. know all that already

As to multiple offices - there needs to be a central sign-off point for any creative work, ideally. It's also a good idea to have local 'brand champions' who understand the ins and outs of the brand and are involved in all projects and can be approached by others if they have questions.

Sorry for babbling on about this but it's an area I'm v. interested in

- n.

It is an area I am also interested in, but I have not had much of a chance to work in it yet.

I am the only designer, so all work comes from me. However unfortunately previous marketing people in other offices did not understand the importance of defining blue and purple when your corporate colour is Purple, things that come out blue (and are purple on the art) need to be fixed before you sign off on them :P

I am in the process of working with the marketing manager and we are defining the company and looking at it from a non design aspect first - doing a brainstorm and dumping ideas on paper. I will then take them away working through a design process and come up with an initial concept of where to go. From there we will work out what needs to be tackled immediately and the best way for things to be implemented across the board.

Does your friend have a website or some information that is free to air? Although we have an office in the UK, the entire design and marketing process starts in Australia and we are desiring a face to face worker... simply because it is that much easier

If you do not mind though, since you are so into this stuff too, would you mind if I poke your brain a bit later on when things (if things) get moving? it would be great to have some outside influences

purple/blue - what's the difference?

Unfortunately that friend of mine doesn't have a website, she isn't involved in web-work too much. I should be able to pick her brains though, if required.

She used to work for this company: www.pfour.co.uk. As far as I know, they are huge (but have an awful website ). Have a look under 'What we do' and some of the case-studies, might give some inspiration.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I'd be interested + happy to bounce some ideas around. If you want, PM me or email me at 'nmm124 AT yahoo.com'

ahhh... there is a lot of difference between purple and blue

thanks for the email addy

Hi TianaKaeSha,
    Can i ask you an off topic question since your in sydney and maybee in the know? Is there a good spot to buy .com.au domains cheap in price with a company that looks like being around for a long time and not fold? Something like Americans version of godaddy registering.
    I've got a mate i want to look after and give a cheap deal.!

.com.au addies can be trickie

after proving you are a legit business, you are basically looking at $120 I think

I will clarify when the other half gets home lol. he is more in the know!