A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: joining 4 files

joining 4 files

I have four seperate flash files. I would like them to play, one after the other in a seamless fashion.

I think I'll need to use loadClip and unloadClip functions, but I'm not sure. Could I have one file load the next file, transfer play control and then unload itself... or would I have to have one master movie responisble for loading/unloading the other clips?

-Tim
    Timothy Boronczyk
    -http://home.twcny.rr.com/organman20/bluephoenix

The only way to get something to play seamlessly is to put it all on one timeline. If your loading external swf's they take time to load. Even using attachMovie to load movie clips that are already in the main movie will take a short time to load in.

But, you can tell one movie to load another movie or attach another movie clip from the last frame of the one playing.

True. But I can't have everything on one timeline because it's causing problems.

Luckily, The presentation will not be streaming over the web, but rather run from a CD, probably in an .exe format.

Which leads me to another question, then... can flash files bundled as exe's load one another? Or is that something that only the swf's will be able to do?

-Tim
    Timothy Boronczyk

Even run from a CD there is going to be some hesitation. It won't be much, but it won't be totally seamless either.

On CD only the main movie has to be exe. Everything else can be swf loaded just as if it was online or on your hard disk in a folder. Just burn everything used by the movie to the CD. And you can't load one exe into another.

Originally posted by iaskwhy
    On CD only the main movie has to be exe. Everything else can be swf loaded just as if it was online or on your hard disk in a folder.
    So I will need the 4 swf files stored in a folder on the CD, and a "controler" movie which's only function is to load/unload and play the swf files in succession. The controller movie can be exported as an executable projector. Gotcha!

Thanks. I'll set that up tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it works out.
    Timothy Boronczyk

I guess technically, you wouldn't need to make a separate movie to convert to exe just to load the other 4. You can make the first in the sequence of 4 the exe, then leave the other 3 as swf's. In the last frame of the first one, just have code something like this:

stop();
    _root.loadMovie("secondmovie.swf");

This will play the first movie as an exe, then at the end, load in the second in the sequence, replacing the original first movie. I have only tested this a couple times, and it does work.

The only reason for an exe in a CD is to hold the flashplayer as a standalone, in case there is none installed on the machine playing the CD. Once the first movie with the exe has loaded, the flashplayer is running. You might want to ask in the Projector forum though, for more specific answers.

http://www.flashkit.com/board/forumd...php?forumid=15