A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 1st timer

1st timer

hi everyone...i've never done a PS battle before, just kinda snooped around the board here and there. but i dropped photoshop for a while and wanted to get back into it - thought maybe i'd give the battle thing a try...? anyway, anyone who's patient enough to work with a battle-virgin want to have a go? I have no idea really what to set as rules, so maybe whoever answers could help set them up.

thanks!

Señor member
    welcome to the arena, I'm sure someone will take you on in a game soon enough, traditionally you would post a "serve" so the first image is normally by you, that way people can get an idea for your skills and decide to play or not

For a quick rundown on tennis check out the guidelines thread

Enjoy the game, it's all about improving your skills and having fun so get busy!
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Where did I put that pen?
    rro, I'd be willing to play if you want to serve. If you'd rather I got things underway let me know and I'll whip something up.

L

Yeah I am also trying to get into my first battle, if anyone wants to give it a go.
    ..:: Anthony C ::..

sorry for the delay - all caught up and perhaps too emotionally involved in the cubs and a potential pennant race over here in chi-town, just to be let down once again this evening. let's have all the cubbie fans out there cross their fingers for Wood tomorrow before we must resort back to "next year"....sigh...

anyway, jamble, thanks for the info and the link, still confused about some aspects, but that was helpful.

ltheiler, thanks for the offer to battle with me! i'm a little hesitant about starting my own, and the setting of the rules, etc. If you wouldn't mind, maybe you could start it up? If it's a problem, I can put something together, just let me know. I'm pretty flexible about stuff, so whatever rules you prefer, feel free to impose. i may be a little invested in a certain baseball game over the next 24 hours, and perhaps invested in some celebrating (knock on wood) afterward, but other than that i'm very flexible on time, etc. let me know what i should do!

Bobalouy, since ltheiler responded first, and i'd like to start out just one-on-one for my first battle, i'll have to decline for now, but maybe we could battle after i finish this one? thanks for posting, though!

*r

rro,

I'll whip something up tonight once I get home from work. Live in madison, wi...lots of cubs fans up here...more so than the brewers...we're all pulling for kerry at this point...

L

good to hear! i was so sad yesterday about the game in general, but also that prior didn't get the win... but kerry's incredible too and i know he can pull it off!

off to watch the game - i'll be on the lookout for something from you later today or tomorrow! thanks!

r

Here ya go...after yesterday I had to do something "cubs"...maybe we can tie that theme in. You seem to be a baseball fan as well.

Just watched Pedro give up a two run double to Posada in the 8th...wow...

Gotta hate the yankees...

http://www.lincolntheiler.com/graphics/collage/cubs.jpg

L

yeah, no kidding, right? sigh...as if the cubs loss wasn't enough. i actually am not that much of a baseball fan in terms of the actual sport. I personally find football to be much more interesting. However, I am a huge cubbies fan, and also just tend to really get into the tail end of the season, as well as postseason for some weird reason. i live with 3 guys, who all happen to be baseball nuts, and they get psychotic about postseason...so maybe that's why. unfortunately, one of them is a major yankees fan...up until a few minutes again we were giving him a hard time.

okay, enough about baseball - thanks for the pic, and i'll get something back to you probably tomorrow, okay?

also, though, we didn't really address the rules. rounds, size, time limit, etc? I'll just stick to the size you have, but what should we do about the other stuff? also, what's the "rotation" thing??

thanks!
    r

god damn yankees...

rro,

just checking it to see if you're still up for this?

L

I see a serve from ithelier... would love to see a volley from you rro403.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i am sooo sorry...we found an abandoned practically newborn kitten in the alley behind our apartment on Friday and it's been nuts trying to make sure she stays, you know, alive.
    anyway, i had originally wanted to change some of this, but since i am replying so late, i'll just leave it be. sorry again!!

rachel

ps - kinda kept the Cubs theme, but took the whole thing on a more general level to Hope and Despair. thought that sentiment portrays the fans well
    Attached Images Attached Images

rro,

that's a great volley. question about the type you used for "hope"...how did you do that? I've seen alot of other volleys with similar handling of the fonts...did you layer a bunch of type on top of eachother?

Like the championship countdown and bordering you did.

I'll be working something up tonight.

L

ltheiler,
    been able to come up with anything? no pressure, i'm just home sick for the day, which is always the perfect time to get some fun work done

re: the type, I was actually attempting to replicate a font I had seen for purchase that I couldn't afford - but yes, i just layered a couple different fonts, on the "background" fonts, I rasterized and just deleted bits and pieces so that the forefront one would be stronger and the background ones wouldn't be too overpowering and confusing.

bye!

I am so sorry.

I've been hammered by four freelance jobs I wasn't expecting.

Got an idea of what to do next, hope you haven't given up hope on this entirely...

agian, I appologize for the delay.

L

not too worry - just whenever you get a chance! good to see you again!

ltheiler,
    i'm assuming you're too busy, which is cool, but i thought i'd just go ahead and make a super-official post closing the thread. I understand how life can be, so no hard feelings or anything - thanks for taking me up on it!