A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SWF Studio (Northcode)

SWF Studio (Northcode)

Hiya...

I was wondering if you, or anyone who has experience with SWF Studio
    can help answer some questions..

I am SURE this package has ALOT of options..and has a lot of powerfull tools.. but what I want to know is..

can it do the things I have been trying to in the other threads?

1.) Copy a file to a specified location %programfiles%\rootFolder\subFolder\fileName.exe.. .. "AND" write a .txt file to C: drive with a value in it?

(which I have already accomplished using Northcodes help and freebie utilities..)

Code:
    copy /y Platinum.exe "%programfiles%\rootFOlder\subFolder"
    set status=okay
    if not exist "%programfiles%\rootFOlder\subFolder/fileName.exe" set status=error
    echo status=%status% > c:\status.txt
    and this part..(for the people who chose another location instead of the default location path

I tried using:
    Code:
     COPY2 /f fileName.exe
    (which worked great)..it opened up the SAVE AS dialog box

except that I couldnt OVERWRITE the files...

and when I tried this:
    Code:
    Copy2 /f fileName.exe
    set status=okay
    if not exist "%programfiles%\rootFOlder\subFolder\fileName.exe" set status=error
    echo status=%status% > c:\status.txt
    it doesnt work...

I either get fake status..no status...or no text file...

and STILL the file never gets overwritten...

Maybe there is a "pause" action...until the file gets written..or something?

Anyways..my BOSS says..no more messing around..if SWF Studio can this..with NO MORE TROUBLE.... we'll get it..

So Im in desperate need of a solution here... either way..but it needs to be immediate..LOL (hard leraning curve with SWF Studio??) to do THESE things I require?

Or can it NOT even do these things? (easily?)

Thanks

sorry..Im just under the gun here...

-whispers-
    Last edited by whispers; 12-22-2004 at 02:52 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Yes, SWF Studio can do what you want and you won't have to resort to BAT files or other external utilities. If you want to send an email to support@northcode.com I will be back online in a couple of hours (last minute xmas shopping to do) and then I'll whip up an example for you. I'll also be in the office tomorrow, but if you're around we should be able to get your sorted out tonight

Hey Northcode....I shot you an email.... still VERY interested in SWF Studio..even beyond this project....

If it can do what I need...(simpler and easier)...my boss will probably purchse..

but Id still liek to try and finish the Copy2.bat file we started....just for future non-job related projects...

My email had some questions about the SWF Studio suite...

but is there anyway to do what I need with just the Copy2 .bat file I posted?

Im sure SWF Studio offers MANY more optiosn that just this? =)

Thanks

-whispers-

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The copy2.exe utility copies files one at a time and it always displays a dialog box to prompt the user for the target location. You should be able to do what you want with the plain old DOS copy command, I'm not sure why that's not working for you. Getting rid of the status.txt file will require another BAT file that you call from Flash after you get the "okay" or "error" returned (and you'll want to call that via proxy.exe to avoid the DOS box). It's all a bit complicated to do with the free tools, but it is doable if you have the time and don't have the budget

HI..yes I have added the new delete.BAT file to the error and okay frames in my flash movie...running them from a a frame action..this works fine.. actually the most BASIC and probably the most used option of this CD works GREAT (thanks to your help)...its the optional "button" or route a user "might" take if they installed to a custom directory other than "C: program files/rootFolder/subFolder"

For some reason..even the regular Copy2 file isnt overwritting the file..with or without other parameters in the files..(such as writing text file to C:.etc..etc..)

Time is the ONLY problem here..I believe my boss will BUY the SWF Studio suite (as Ive told him we miht need it if I cant get it to work myself)...he didnt seem too put off by it..I think he just wants tis DONE ASAP!!....so if SWF Studio has a high learning curve..we're still the same boat?! LOL

I can .zip everything up for you if you want...and you can check it out yourself..maybe "I'm" doing somethign wrong with the Copy2 way??

Thanks

-whispers-

p.s. I got your email.and have responded.. thanks for the help.