A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 's the difference in Mac and PC?

What 's the difference in Mac and PC?

i've worked on mac before, but mainly on pc platform....is there some major difference???
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Mac:

3D and Graphic applications tend to operate faster and smoother on Mac's due to how they incorporate hardware with software (built as a single unit, using Apple Software), this is also partly due to the way that Motorola and IBM design the chips for Mac computers.

PC:

New hardware seems like a daily basis
    New Software on an hourly basis
    Highly customizable and upgradeable
    ..tween this

what about as far as just getting around on the Mac for everyday functions? is it that much different?

i had an interview and they asked if i was familiar with working on a Mac platform...i just said yes even though i have only worked on Mac like three times. why is this even important? a computer is a computer right?

Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

well.. everyday use.. .. yes/no..

Mac has funny ways of doing things.. ways I can't even fully explain.. for normal use, you should pick it up in a few minutes.. point and click like all things..

if it's OSX you are in luck.. very easy to learn and use.. everything you need is in the Application Menu.

Similar to Windows though.. the Finder button (http://www.apple.com/de/macosx/jagua...tle-finder.gif) is just like the Start Button in windows. Applications is just like Program's from the Start Menu..

I didn't really get much out of Mac training at earthlink.. mostly just network and internet stuff.. not to mention the instructor while he knew everything about the Mac possible, felt it more important to bash MS than teach about Mac..
    ..tween this

what is OSX stand for?

Operating System "X"

This is the current version of the Mac operating system.

OSX is the new operating system. OS9 came before it. I work on both OS9 and OSX at work and notice quite a few small differences. Like in OS9 you can open the import menu in flash mx and then go up to edit>select all, but in OSX it doesnt let you do that. Little things like that...

Few things that get people when they move from pc to mac.
    • Finder is actually the desktop and open folders. you select finder from the drop down menu in OS9 or the thing along the bottom in OSX it shows you the desktop with all open windows.
    • To open the CD tray, theres a button on the keyboard (for desktop computers. the powerbook just has an open slot you slide it in). To eject it, you drag the CD to the trash can.
    • Hotkeys start with command key instead of control (copy on pc is ctrl+c, on mac its command+c)

other than those three things, transition to a mac should be easy. I'm thinking about buying a powerbook for home (probably when panther comes out) but i'm not too sure if it will work with my home network (5 pc's, 2 windows laptops).
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    There is also that MAC feature that makes the screen more 'brilliant', as in improved color definition. This is (eveidently) one of the reasons they are considered the 'designers' choice above the PC, and why images that you doctor on a PC to look perfectly good can look dull on a MAC monitor.

I'm still at a loss as to why design shops insist that you be MAC profficient. Again, I think it comes down to 'everyone else does it' mentality, when the person writing the ad couldn't pick a MAC from a PC if their life depended on it.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I'm still at a loss as to why design shops insist that you be MAC profficient. Again, I think it comes down to 'everyone else does it' mentality, when the person writing the ad couldn't pick a MAC from a PC if their life depended on it.
    thats usually always the case.....

That's exactly the reason.. they all bought a Mac running OS 9 because they were told it was "the way to go for design".. then they realized they didn't know how to operate the damn thing..

so now they are trying to find someone who can.
    ..tween this

design studios need to look "hip and artsy" so a boring old computer wouldnt look good in their office, so they needed to go with a G4, G5, powerbook or screen on a stick
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

All this talk makes me wonder how healthy the sales figures of Apple would look if you were to remove the need of desigers worldwide to look as if they knew what they were doing by having the 'deriguer' MAC on their desk.

Hmmm.

Surely it would help individual company profit margins if they bought cardboard cutouts that look like MACs and kept the PC that everyone actually used in a backroom/bathroom somewhere.

if there were normal computers that the general public could buy from places like best buy that looked like alienware i believe mac would lose a lot of its customers. Other than the simple GUI differences, all they have over pc is security and looking good. Security will "hopefully" be taken care of with longhorn and look could be achieved if dell, compaq and even emachines took on some nice looking designs. Of course you can get good looking pc's now, but they are all mainly gaming pc's or mods, both of which a normal person would know nothing about.
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

a "normal person"

so are flashkit members not "normal"??

All this talk makes me wonder how healthy the sales figures of Apple would look if you were to remove the need of desigers worldwide to look as if they knew what they were doing by having the 'deriguer' MAC on their desk.
    Hey now, if you can't say something nice.

Besides, even a nice new G5 couldn't disguise the fact that i don't know what i'm doing.

d.
    dlowe93

Originally posted by dlowe93
    Besides, even a nice new G5 couldn't disguise the fact that i don't know what i'm doing.

d.
    M'lud, ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

Originally posted by J-Luv
    a "normal person"

so are flashkit members not "normal"??
    of course not. "normal" people don't know how to work computers well. they get confused when a link opens up a new window and they can't press back, even more confused when the new window is small and they can't see all the content. "normal" people don't know any of the specs of their computer, including their resolution. "normal" people don't know something is done in flash unless you explicitly tell them it is, and then they act like they knew all along and try to "impress" people with their new found knowlege.

normal people are the ones you design for. imagine the online world as a pyramid in regards to computer know-how, developers at top and the general population at the bottom. in the middle are smart monkeys
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

hahahaha....your clients would be happy to know how you see them

Originally posted by MG315
    Security will "hopefully" be taken care of with longhorn
    So far, we have heard promises about security for many years, and saw the opposite. The new OS will probably "secure" music publishers from their products being copied, and it will even give them the possibility to "withdraw" material from the market and stop people who bought it from listening to it.

As long as MS believes that they will make a fortune by making your computers reach out to the internet (and providing ************* or whatever facilities in the game), they will not really make your systems secure - but maybe they will achieve that
    BTW: just saw a "program" with mime type application/hta download and start itself recently ... you would not need a "secure" OS to stop that from happening - only a strong desire to not let it happen

Musicman

I think the hardest thing to get used to with a Mac is the single button mouse.